Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Blue line shots efficiency is around 3%.. meanwhile, he's really not very good defensively.

By the way... Timmins has a great shot from the point...

Ottawa gives up 4 GA/60 when he's on the ice... the worst on the team easily. (It's also the same results as when Klingberg was on the ice for us) Ottawa is 23rd in the league on the PP... When he was on Arizona, they were 30th. He'd get torn up here by the fans so badly for his defense, it's not even funny.

He's got 11 points on the PP... Morgan has 14....

Clamouring for a point shot, when they aren't really effective is so dated, particularly for an expensive player, who isn't very good defensively.

Not that I’d trade for him but it’s less the point shot itself and more the threat of it opening up space, especially if it’s a cream of the crop Weber/Chara tier shot that defenders are afraid to get in front of.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
You just look at the best name in the trade and then look at what team got that name.

That's the team that won the trade.

It's like huberdeau and weegar for tkachuk. Tkachuk is the best player. On paper flames win. In game Panthers won.

Adding Lindholm to a top heavy offence is deadly. Half a season cup run is worth the package given. 1st rounder will be very late. You need lots factors to go right to win a cup. To get these factors you need to take good risks. If Lindholm was 33-37 years old it's more of bad risk yes but he has a good run in him today.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'm actually more than ok making a move that betters the defense, but winds up being net neutral for this season, if it sets the team up for better financial flexibility heading into next season, and adds some picks / prospects to the system.

Some moves I'd be looking to make include...

1. Trading David Kampf for a draft pick. $2.4 million is far too much for a 4th liner, especially with Toronto's cap distribution.

2. Trading TJ Brodie for a draft pick or prospect, because his $5.0 million can be used towards a defensive upgrade, either at the deadline, at the Draft, or in free agency.

3. Trading Domi, but only if you can get someone to overpay. Otherwise, I'm fine with him playing his contract out in Toronto this year.

I feel like you go into next season with...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
X-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-X-Jarnkrok
X-X-McMann

Rielly-X
McCabe-Lijegren
Benoit-X

6 roster spots to fill, with the key being to take Brodie's $5.0 million and some of Bertuzzi's $5.5 million and use it to find a RHD that can play with Rielly for the next 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan and arso40

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Do we really need to spend our currency on PMD, who play on the Left side, who aren't particularly physical? And in Chychrun's case, not very good defensively, and gets much of his points on the PP, where he likely doesn't get that time here?

We don't need more Rielly's, we need a diversified D, so spending our currency on similar players makes as much sense as building around soft skilled forwards only.

I mean their ages are attractive, but more chasing shiny brand name players.

I couldn’t care less about handedness. Yeah in an ideal world we’d get a top pairing or at least top four right shot defenseman but those guys are hard to come by and are very expensive in a trade. Tampa won back to back Cups with a left side of Hedman, Sergachev, and McDonagh and a right side with players who were not near the same calibre.

I don’t know if we don’t need more Riellys. Puck moving was a glaring weakness of the defence last year, so much so that the Leafs gambled on Klingberg. Neither Gio or Brodie are good enough at that anymore, Liljegren is ok and McCabe and Benoit don’t excel in that area themselves. Timmins is still too weak defensively and may never be reliable enough to be an everyday player to address this need.

You’re right that Chychrun is weak defensively but I think you’re underestimating Hanifin in this regard. I also don’t think either player is all that soft. They aren’t bruisers or big hitters but neither player is scared to get involved in scrums or drop the gloves every now and again for whatever that’s worth. Both men are also tall and as we know Treliving loves “long defensemen.”

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You just look at the best name in the trade and then look at what team got that name.

It's like huberdeau and weegar for tkachuk. Tkachuk is the best player. On paper flames win. In game Panthers won.

Adding Lindholm to a top heavy offence is deadly. Half a season cup run is worth the package given. 1st rounder will be very late. You need lots factors to go right to win a cup. To get these factors you need to take good risks. If Lindholm was 33-37 years old it's more of bad risk yes but he has a good run in him today.

It’ll be interesting to see how Lindholm fits in. Hard to envision who he’s supposed to bump from that Vancouver PP. It’ll be an adjustment for him for sure if he’s not getting those looks. Already having a bit of down year offensively, not getting PP time won’t help.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It’ll be interesting to see how Lindholm fits in. Hard to envision who he’s supposed to bump from that Vancouver PP. It’ll be an adjustment for him for sure if he’s not getting those looks. Already having a bit of down year offensively, not getting PP time won’t help.
He’s there to make the second line better and to give them options if they decide to split the super line up

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
The way I see it Canucks took advantage of a buy low opportunity that sky rocket their cup chances.

Imagine if we could slot Lindholm at 3C in his prime still. Who cares if he's having a down year on his ex-team. He has enough gas to pace 20-30 goals and 55% on the draw and play 18-20 minutes a game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Okay RFAs, I actually don't think you'll need to pay Benoit or Robertson that, maybe I am wrong on Robertson. I'd prefer Laggesson over Lajoie and even then I don't think it's more than league minimum.

In terms of the UFA stuff - I like it all except I don't think Lafferty would come back unless Keefe left, although he probably is.

Trades are fine enough but I just don't think Provorov would be the guy we'd be targetting, my 2 cents.

It's not bad at all.
I was tossing up Provorov or Fabbro for that trade and ended up going Provorov even though I know the team isn't doing that

I'm hoping we get that Russian Tsyplakov over here, hed be ideal with size, scoring, PK and center abilities instead of Lafferty for .925K

I was just looking for someone cheap to sit in the press box and got the wrong guy, Largesson was the guy I was thinking of 🤣

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
If we’re looking for a center (which we should be), I feel like Wennberg would be the way to go. Good two-way player, has good size and more of a playmaker whose offensive numbers should improve playing alongside someone like Nylander. Wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire and someone I’d be interested in re-signing.

Then look for a third pairing defenceman to pair with Benoit and call it a day at the TDL. Keep our 1st round pick.
That’s what the leafs need. Another vanilla player. no Thank you.

good for jim rutherford. guy has balls. i hope they win the cup
Boo this man. Never ever

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The way I see it Canucks took advantage of a buy low opportunity that sky rocket their cup chances.

Imagine if we could slot Lindholm at 3C in his prime still. Who cares if he's having a down year on his ex-team. He has enough gas to pace 20-30 goals and 55% on the draw and play 18-20 minutes a game.

Oh yeah, I think the Canucks did well here. Just curious to see how he ultimately fits.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Defensively responsible center you can play against anybody = vanilla?

It would be nice if we could put out a line that wasn't Matthews in the DZ and not have it get curb stomped

Yeah, if I’m Treliving I think seriously looking for some players who can help you form a competent shutdown line should be a priority. And shouldn’t cost you all that much even at the TDL

Our bottom 6 lacks role players AND doesn’t score nearly enough. It’s the worst of both worlds.

Reactions: Kiwi

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016

If Calgary couldn't re-sign Lindholm to a reasonable deal, they win the trade as well.

The trade could easily be win-win.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Any top pairing defender on the UFA market will cost at least Rielly's cap.

Someone already under contract might leave some space for depth signings.

But if they can find one 1st. pairing defender, they could back-fill with lessor defenders and play the poop out of their top 2.

Yes, adding a young cost controlled top pairing guy would be ideal, but those guys aren’t available, and they certainly aren’t available for the assets we have to move.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes, adding a young cost controlled top pairing guy would be ideal, but those guys aren’t available, and they certainly aren’t available for the assets we have to move.

You can roll the dice on fit, get a young cost controlled RD like Fabbro and try him beside Rielly

He probably won't cost an arm and a leg and he has played very well with an offense fIrst partner
He won't score much but he could be a good defensive conscience for Rielly

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You can roll the dice on fit, get a young cost controlled RD like Fabbro and try him beside Rielly

He probably won't cost an arm and a leg and he has played very well with an offense fIrst partner
He won't score much but he could be a good defensive conscience for Rielly

So Nashville's #6 defenseman, who's ice time has been in decline for 3 consecutive seasons, is going to come an be Toronto's #2 defenseman?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
So Nashville's #6 defenseman, who's ice time has been in decline for 3 consecutive seasons, is going to come an be Toronto's #2 defenseman?
Very few top pairing defencemen that are available, if any. We throw out names like Andersson and Parayko but realistically neither team is going to move those players.

Not to mention it might be a smart move holding onto our 1st round pick this year considering where our team is.

Add a defenceman like Borgen or Fabbro at the deadline who aren’t top pairing defencemen but still improve our blueline and won’t cost too much.

Then focus this off-season on finding a true top pairing defencemen whether through UFA or trade knowing where our 1st round pick will go.

Reactions: aingefan

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Defensively responsible center you can play against anybody = vanilla?

It would be nice if we could put out a line that wasn't Matthews in the DZ and not have it get curb stomped
extremely vanilla. They already have enough players who you barely notice on the ice with no grit. Let’s add another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad