Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
If the Leafs need to step back and stand pat or slightly sell, it is what it is.

The Lightning, who made the Cup final in 2015 and Conference finals in 2016, decided to take a step back in 2017 after deciding it just wasn't their year. They sold off Ben Bishop and managed to get Cernak in that deal. They traded Brian Boyle to Lou for a 2nd.

2018 they made the conference final
2019 they were embarrassingly swept in the first round
2020 they win

I get it, there is more year in year out success there. But it's an example of the ups and downs teams can go through as they try to find their way and piece together the right fits for their team.

If this year is one step back to take two steps forward, so be it.
A smart organization
I agree hope treliving does

Reactions: Zero1 and rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the Leafs need to step back and stand pat or slightly sell, it is what it is.

The Lightning, who made the Cup final in 2015 and Conference finals in 2016, decided to take a step back in 2017 after deciding it just wasn't their year. They sold off Ben Bishop and managed to get Cernak in that deal. They traded Brian Boyle to Lou for a 2nd.

2020 they win

I get it, there is more year in year out success there. But it's an example of the ups and downs teams can go through as they try to find their way and piece together the right fits for their team.

That's the way that I am seeing things for this year. Their record flatters their play for much of the year so far, this just doesn't look like a contending team... at least so far.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

2020 they win

The Lightning were at the bottom of the standings when that happened. The Leafs are well in the mix for the playoffs. It's easy to say the Leafs should do that when in their position. They are not selling unless they go on a massive losing streak by the deadline. They could shift money around and maybe something shakes out that improves the team long-term but unlikely.

The Panthers last year were in our position (more or less), they made zero trades at the deadline, they barely made the playoffs thanks to Pittsburgh gifting them the spot, and then made it to the finals. Imagine if they sold players prior to the deadline?

A quiet trade deadline is likely what will happen.

Last edited:

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
If we're still skulking around for a right handed defenseman, do you think a guy like Nick Jensen could be acquired affordably?

The Caps are falling out of the race and we have some recent trade history with them. Jensen is 33, signed through 2025-2026 on a $4,050,000 deal that was penned last year. Right shot, defensively responsible. Not sure he's a huge upgrade on what we have, but he could fit comfortably on our right side.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This article doesn't seem to be paywalled for me.

""

This is essentially it. Robertson shouldn't be used as fodder. He'll be pretty important going into next year and he still has plenty of potential.

Moving forward, the Leafs’ roster is inching toward another overhaul. Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, Ilya Samsonov and TJ Brodie are out of contract at the end of this season, and all four of those players and their $17-million total cap hit may come off the books. The Leafs will also be free of Jake Muzzin, Matt Murray and John Klingberg’s cap hits — all currently stashed on LTIR — come the summer of 2024.

That feels like a more prudent time to re-assess the roster and not put Robertson’s development as a Leaf in jeopardy. The Leafs would be wise to be patient with a young player doing what’s asked of him and producing in the process. Moving out Robertson while he’s trending upwards could rob the team of the kind of cheap, homegrown player that is always in demand.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The Lightning, who made the Cup final in 2015 and Conference finals in 2016, decided to take a step back in 2017 after deciding it just wasn't their year.
For the record, it was more that Stamkos experienced a season-ending injury in November, and they were barely above a 0.500 team at the deadline.
Not really the same as our situation.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we're still skulking around for a right handed defenseman, do you think a guy like Nick Jensen could be acquired affordably?

The Caps are falling out of the race and we have some recent trade history with them. Jensen is 33, signed through 2025-2026 on a $4,050,000 deal that was penned last year. Right shot, defensively responsible. Not sure he's a huge upgrade on what we have, but he could fit comfortably on our right side.

Not very interested unless dirt cheap/free but even then I wouldn't have much interest. He's on the decline and he still has 2 more years at his cap hit. Just not a good fit for the needs.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
For the record, it was more that Stamkos experienced a season-ending injury in November, and they were barely above a 0.500 team at the deadline.
Not really remotely similar situations. The Leafs are not going to "take a step back" this season. The idea of punting a season when there is a chance to win doesn't make much short or long-term sense. They will be buyers. The extent of the buying may be a question, but I highly doubt they remove anyone meaningful from the current roster.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Not very interested unless dirt cheap/free but even then I wouldn't have much interest. He's on the decline and he still has 2 more years at his cap hit. Just not a good fit for the needs.

Yeah, that's fair. He's right at the age where Brodie has started to fall off, but just slightly younger than Tanev. By the end of Jensen's term, you're probably wishing you had that $4M in cap.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The Lightning were at the bottom of the standings when that happened. The Leafs are well in the mix for the playoffs. It's easy to say the Leafs should do that when in their position. They are not selling unless they go on a massive losing streak by the deadline. They could shift money around and maybe something shakes out that improves the team long-term but unlikely.

The Panthers last year were in our position (more or less), they made zero trades at the deadline, they barely made the playoffs thanks to Pittsburgh gifting them the spot, and then made it to the finals.

Ya I don't think the Leafs would ever sell. Especially since the Metro is brutal this year, so the Leafs could probably make it playing .500 hockey the rest of the way. As long as nothing important goes out for a quick bandaid fix....

Also funny how things worked for Tampa. They were 7 points out when they started to sell off and then went on a heater and ended up missing the playoffs by 1 point behind the Leafs.

They transitioned well from a team in 2011 that made the conference finals with players from the 90s, to a Cup in 2020 with players who wouldn't remember the 90s. All with 2 constants, Stamkos and Hedman. Amazing what good drafting and development can do. Hopefully the Leafs have found enough gems the last couple year to be able to support the core and a 2nd window in this era.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Parayko is still a good D man, but rather try to find a younger version of him, something like Benoit with a tinge of offence. My priority for the back end is solid D first and foremost at an age that decline due to age is not in the cards…….

So you don’t want a legit first pairing shut-down defender because he might decline, and instead want to find a third pairing guy? Parayko could play until he’s 45 and still never be as bad as Benoit is right now.

Reactions: shortfuze

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
So you don’t want a legit first pairing shut-down defender because he might decline, and instead want to find a third pairing guy? Parayko could play until he’s 45 and still never be as bad as Benoit is right now.
Benoit? Bad? You mean Brodie

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s a good question, but I think the odds of Parayko playing till he’s 45 are slim to none and that’s not taking into account how well he’d be playing. Rather take a chance on a “projected” first pairing shut down defender simply because it will be cheaper and the asset in theory should depreciate at a slower rate. That being said I like Parayko and the way he plays D………..

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s a good question, but I think the odds of Parayko playing till he’s 45 are slim to none and that’s not taking into account how well he’d be playing. Rather take a chance on a “projected” first pairing shut down defender simply because it will be cheaper and the asset in theory should depreciate at a slower rate. That being said I like Parayko and the way he plays D………..

In theory what you’re saying makes sense, but the time to make a move for a merely projected top pairing D was 4-5 years ago. We need assets that can play at a high level now. Right now our window is this year +4. Can’t wait and hope for a guy to reach his potential. I’m not saying you don’t acquire anyone of said nature but the timing of such a gamble is sub optimal and could really set us back if he’s not capable of being who he is projected to be

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

While I fully agree with your assessment, I don't particularly see the situations as that different. Two teams with very competitive rosters, who, as you point out, for very different reasons, just don't appear to be competitive enough that year. When we look at where we are as a team, I think most agree that this team just has too many holes, to really succeed. As a truly honest assessment, this team just doesn't have it... would anyone disagree?

If that's the case, and you look at this, and say... this just isn't going to be our year, then you do everything in your power, to ensure maybe next year is. If that includes selling off expiring UFA's, and other pieces that you don't believe will be part of a competitive outfit, that's what should be done... No doubt that in a Toronto market, that would take a pretty big set of kahunas... You can take those pieces that you get, and either use these picks/prospects for your future, or leverage them to obtain the pieces that you DO think will help.

We need to be better defensively. We need more physicality and size. We need more speed. We need more secondary scoring. We may need a new 2C... a new 3C... a new 2D...

That's a lot... one heck of a shopping list really.

It's probably true, that we wouldn't do this... but, should we?

horner

May 22, 2007

The Panthers last year were in our position (more or less), they made zero trades at the deadline, they barely made the playoffs thanks to Pittsburgh gifting them the spot, and then made it to the finals. Imagine if they sold players prior to the deadline?

We aren't Florida they were building a team

We have 4 really good players 5 if JT can find his game .

Bob caught fire

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess everything is relative.

Benoit has been good for what most expected. He’s been good as a #6/7 defenseman.

If Parayko declined to that level, it would be considered “bad”.
:laugh: Obviously he's paid as a top player not a bottom pair player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad