Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You think he wants to leave?

No I think he will sign. Maybe I misunderstood.

Some people are suggesting that Marner wants out and will just refuse to sign or be traded and just run out the clock here.

I don’t believe that’s likely.
I think he signs between 11.5-12.5 x8.

Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
You think he wants to leave?
No, because he loves it here, and Shanahan wants to keep "his core" here at all costs.

Some people are suggesting that Marner wants out and will just refuse to sign or be traded and just run out the clock here.

He will want, and I'm sure he will get, more than Nylander.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Per Flyers insider Anthony DiMarco, the Toronto Maple Leafs have contacted the Philadelphia Flyers regarding defensemen Sean Walker.
Flyers remain firm on their asking price of a 1st round pick.

From TML Updates on Facebook.... Not interested in him that much, and certainly not at that price.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I’m not suggesting he will want to leave. I’m suggesting that a competent management team would understand we cannot keep him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Per Flyers insider Anthony DiMarco, the Toronto Maple Leafs have contacted the Philadelphia Flyers regarding defensemen Sean Walker.
Flyers remain firm on their asking price of a 1st round pick.

From TML Updates on Facebook.... Not interested in him that much, and certainly not at that price.

1st. round pick for 3 months of 29 year old Sean Walker, who was 3rd. pairing last year in LA ... I sure the frick hope not.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's what the NMC does - he can pick his destination.

I think you are saying with his NMC he can negotiate with everyone and chose a destination he wants for the 8th. year of a new deal. (With permission)

Not sure he'd want an 8 year deal because then he might end up making quite a bit less than Matthews. He'd probably accept a bit less, but if Matthews takes another 2 million in 5 years the gap would likely be too big of a hit to his ego.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think you are saying with his NMC he can negotiate with everyone and chose a destination he wants for the 8th. year of a new deal. (With permission)

Not sure he'd want an 8 year deal because then he might end up making quite a bit less than Matthews. He'd probably accept a bit less, but if Matthews takes another 2 million in 5 years the gap would likely be too big of a hit to his ego.

Let’s say Marner took less than what he’s worth, we still can’t build a team around two right wingers making 23+ million. Even if he took 10, that’s probably too much.

Reactions: rumman

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I wonder if Lindholm would consider a Bertuzzi/Domi 1-year deal to rebuild his value in the offseason. Stick him between Nylander and Tavares and we're instantly better off (in theory).

It's possible though that Bertuzzi's struggles this year and lack of PP time might discourage big name players from signing these type of deals with Toronto.
I would like that but I think Lindholm will get term somewhere. Bertuzzi I could see betting on himself and taking another 1 year deal elsewhere.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Maybe we can, maybe we can’t.

It's possible to build a team with any strategy. The salary cap makes the law of diminishing returns very impactful. The smartest way to use the limited money available is to spread it around and maximize the return on every dollar.

If I'm building a team, here is how I value each position.....
Tier 1 - C1, D1
Tier 2 - G, C2, D2, W1
Tier 3 - D3, D4, W2, C3
Tier 4 - W3, W4
Tier 5 - Everything else.....

Reactions: arso40 and rumman

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
My targets would be:

Parayko, Larsson, Pulock

Low end target:
Gudbranson, Mayfield, Middleton, Zadorov

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'd adjust this upwards a bit, think he signs for between 11.9-12.9x8.

Unless of course he wants a shorter term like Matthews, for 5 years I could see him getting that from our cupcake of an organization. Basically, let's just say that he gets pretty much whatever he wants, with a cherry on top.

Puke.

I’m not suggesting he will want to leave. I’m suggesting that a competent management team would understand we cannot keep him.
And that is indeed a valid suggestion!
It's possible to build a team with any strategy. The salary cap makes the law of diminishing returns very impactful. The smartest way to use the limited money available is to spread it around and maximize the return on every dollar.

If I'm building a team, here is how I value each position.....
Tier 1 - C1, D1
Tier 2 - G, C2, D2, W1
Tier 3 - D3, D4, W2, C3
Tier 4 - W3, W4
Tier 5 - Everything else.....
G could be on the top tier. Then again, there are so few goalies consistently good enough to warrant that so there is that. Other than that minor point, I think everything is spot on here and when juxtaposed against the way our cap is distributed, this is as many have said, most likely the number one reason this team has gone nowhere in the playoffs, and is unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My targets would be:

Parayko, Larsson, Pulock

Low end target:
Gudbranson, Mayfield, Middleton, Zadorov
My targets would be the 1st round picks and high end prospects that we still have left, hope they're still with us after the TDL.

I'd add 2nd round picks to that list if I thought we had any left in the next few years. Wait, now that I think of it, let's add them to the list just in case they're on the table ATM. I'd rather not trade away our 2nd round picks in 2028-29 or whenever, enough is enough.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
My targets would be the 1st round picks and high end prospects that we still have left, hope they're still with us after the TDL.

I'd add 2nd round picks to that list if I thought we had any left in the next few years. Wait, now that I think of it, let's add them to the list just in case they're on the table ATM. I'd rather not trade away our 2nd round picks in 2028-29 or whenever, enough is enough.
Lmfao

We trying to compete in 2040?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I think the Leafs have been hinting not to expect much at the TDL. Good for Tre. Enough is enough. Time for the greedy three to step up and win us a few rounds.

Lmfao

We can thank Kyle for that. Be thankful he is gone and it is not 2050. LOL.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lmfao

IMO we should try to compete every single game, every single season. But if you're trading the future for the present, you really need to be realistic about where you're at and pick your spots judiciously as opposed to just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks one of these years (which seems to be what we've been doing for a number of years now).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the Leafs have been hinting not to expect much at the TDL. Good for Tre. Enough is enough. Time for the greedy three to step up and win us a few rounds.

We can thank Kyle for that. Be thankful he is gone and it is not 2050. LOL.
Yeah that's what it sounds like and I really hope that's what happens. And there's nothing stopping these guys from wining a few rounds, hell if MTL could go to the finals after beating us and so did Florida last season, why can't we?

Every year when I suggest standing pat people complain - what kind of a message does that send to the team. Well we keep adding at the TDL and going nowhere so the only message I'd send is this - you want to win a few rounds, go right ahead, it's allowed.

Reactions: ToneDog

horner

May 22, 2007
1st rd pk
Scott Laughton 29 C/LW 50 % FOW
3rd line C 50 pts
PK
3 yrs @ 3 mil

Summer deal when we find out where our pk is going to end up.

Then we can let Minten refine his skills in the AHL unless he wins a roster spot

Hate giving up a 1st at the TDL in case things go south

Trade Kampf

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm not sure what it would take for me to part with a 1st, but given how depleted the pick reserves are, A rental or a Chicago-type deal wouldn't be it.

Reactions: TMLAM34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad