Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They wouldn't be taking cap dumps, but they'd be taking back players who have cap commitments. They'd want them for the same reason any team wants a player - because they could help them win.
Sounds like you're hoping for a perfect storm scenario which doesn't seem very likely.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He can do a matthews and sign for four and ten at 31 like matthews he can sign his 8 year taking him to retirement
There are plenty options

What if it’s not a team he would accept a trade to. Is it worth pissing marner off so he plays out his final year
It has to be a team he is willing to go to, like PLD or Matthew Tkachuk or he will refuse like Kadri did when Dubas traded him to Calgary. If they decide they are not resigning him, nothing wrong with asking him if he will waive. Same thing with Tavares. Tre did not sign these guys and if he decides they are not in his future plans, it makes sense to ask them if they waive. That might piss them off or that might get them thinking they'd rather move on sooner than later. It is all hypnotical.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So, for whatever reason say the Leafs tell Marner they are going in a different direction and would like to trade him to a team that will meet his terms, you do not think Mitch would be willing to listen and waive if it is a team he would be willing to sign with?
He may but IMO, it's more likely he just walks there as a UFA. Why hurt is new teams chances by removing good players from it.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Hopefully, one option he doesn't have is staying in Toronto for over 10 million.
If you think for one minute marner is going to sign in Toronto for leads than 10 million pass me the doobie.
He will get 12-12.5 on his next contract from the leafs.

It has to be a team he is willing to go to, like PLD or Matthew Tkachuk or he will refuse like Kadri did when Dubas traded him to Calgary. If they decide they are not resigning him, nothing wrong with asking him if he will waive. Same thing with Tavares. Tre did not sign these guys and if he decides they are not in his future plans, it makes sense to ask them if they waive. That might piss them off or that might get them thinking they'd rather move on sooner than later. It is all hypnotical.
One thing hypnotical is marner will not waive

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So many clueless posters keep asserting this narrative.
I love the ones that say ask him to waive the NMC and play hardball and if he doesn’t the fans will make him accept the trade.
He is no different than Matthews and nylander. He will have a price in mind that he wants and it will be up to Tre if it is acceptable to the team. If not he will walk as a UFA and choose where he wants to go.
Matthews wouldn’t be happy if management doesn’t sign marner because he contributes immensely to matthews success and matthews knows it and that’s all that matters whether or not the average keyboard warrior in here wants to believe it.

No different than the multiple times you hear "force Tavares to waive by ..."

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why would Vegas trade a 22 year old defenseman who plays 16 minutes per game for them?

They're making another run.

Would really depend on what they're looking for. Another forward? Maybe Bertuzzi is someone they like.

Robertson? They don't have any young forwards ready to come in and Robertson is doing well for his TOI.

Do they want someone a bit older and more established? Maybe a Liljegren swap.

They might also just want to keep their guy.

These boards exist for the purposes of discussing things.

I think only a few short months ago the idea of either Drysdale or Cutter Gauthier changing teams was unthinkable.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Aren't they at the cap now with Klingberg on LTIR?
I believe that's right, but I think they can "recapture" some of that space by sending guys to the AHL (Jones, Lagesson, Holmberg, etc.). I am no cap expert, but I think they can create enough space to acquire a guy with a salary similar to Klingberg's salary. They can obviously also move salary out.

Reactions: LeafEgo

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I believe that's right, but I think they can "recapture" some of that space by sending guys to the AHL (Jones, Lagesson, Holmberg, etc.). I am no cap expert, but I think they can create enough space to acquire a guy with a salary similar to Klingberg's salary. They can obviously also move salary out.
Indeed, they are carrying three extra players and have two on IR. They could manouver their way back to having Klings salary, as they were before, but there would be pain points along the way with waivers.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They're making another run.

Would really depend on what they're looking for. Another forward? Maybe Bertuzzi is someone they like.

Robertson? They don't have any young forwards ready to come in and Robertson is doing well for his TOI.

Do they want someone a bit older and more established? Maybe a Liljegren swap.

They might also just want to keep their guy.

These boards exist for the purposes of discussing things.

I think only a few short months ago the idea of either Drysdale or Cutter Gauthier changing teams was unthinkable.

Bertuzzi fits their linup but would Bertuzzi waive his NMC?
I don't think Bertuzzi gets an extension there but he does get a good run in the playoffs with Vegas. Also it is a legitimate shot at the Cup for him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Bertuzzi gets an extension there but he does get a good run in the playoffs with Vegas. Also it is a legitimate shot at the Cup for him.

I think most of the league would waive for Vegas, nice taxes, decent weather and it's a cup contender. You deal with the hassle of making a move this late in the season for a chance at the cup, you only get so many chances.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He may but IMO, it's more likely he just walks there as a UFA. Why hurt is new teams chances by removing good players from it.
I'll bet getting his money on an 8 year deal trumps hurting his team. It is what they have done here, 5 times.

If you think for one minute marner is going to sign in Toronto for leads than 10 million pass me the doobie.
He will get 12-12.5 on his next contract from the leafs.

One thing hypnotical is marner will not waive
More likely they do not ask him to.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think most of the league would waive for Vegas, nice taxes, decent weather and it's a cup contender. You deal with the hassle of making a move this late in the season for a chance at the cup, you only get so many chances.
I take it back, they actually do have cap space in the summer to extend him if they wanted.
They just may lose some of their own UFA int he process. Martinez is 5.25 million coming off the books. They could use his cap hit.

But, I don't think they can keep both March and Stephenson if they do that. I guess, they could always move one of their 5 million dollar goalies.

Either way, it is more likely than I thought because it helps with this year's cup run and its not impossible to extend him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I take it back, they actually do have cap space in the summer to extend him if they wanted.
They just may lose some of their own UFA int he process. Martinez is 5.25 million coming off the books. They could use his cap hit.

But, I don't think they can keep both March and Stephenson if they do that. I guess, they could always move one of their 5 million dollar goalies.

Either way, it is more likely than I thought because it helps with this year's cup run and its not impossible to extend him.

Eyes on Theodore extension too.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I just don't see Toronto moving out any of the main guys on the roster, including Bertuzzi and Domi. If the Leafs play well over the next month, I think it's far more likely that they try to load up rather than restructure the roster (even if the latter approach might be the right one).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
@Kiwi

I know we spoke a bit about Wennberg a bit, what do you think of an off-season such as this?

The Vegas one is probably the most controversial.

Forsling would be my priority but I would be open to others if that failed such as DeMelo or Roy and if so, maybe there is more money for a better LW than Duclair. Trying to add some mobility into the roster. Duchene could be an interesting add for 1 year.

1706569229970.png

1706569241940.png

1706569256801.png

Reactions: Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Listening to Marek and Friedman this morning and they comment that Calgary/Toronto and Montreal/New York unlikely to make trades because of former GMs being employed by the other team.

Is this not the most idiotic thing about NHL executives? Like you fired the guy, just move on from him. Finish the damn breakup.

The NHL is literally in the stone age compared to other professional sports leagues

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think he would waive is nmc, but it would need to be a team in which he was promised top six usage, 1st pp unit

He's got a new contract to negotiate in the summer, he likely wants to prioritize being out in a position to finish the season as strongly offensively as possible

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So many clueless posters keep asserting this narrative.
I love the ones that say ask him to waive the NMC and play hardball and if he doesn’t the fans will make him accept the trade.
He is no different than Matthews and nylander. He will have a price in mind that he wants and it will be up to Tre if it is acceptable to the team. If not he will walk as a UFA and choose where he wants to go.
Matthews wouldn’t be happy if management doesn’t sign marner because he contributes immensely to matthews success and matthews knows it and that’s all that matters whether or not the average keyboard warrior in here wants to believe it.
Sounds like Mathews should be the GM if his desires carry so much weight……..

Reactions: freshwind

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sounds like Mathews should be the GM if his desires carry so much weight……..

Some guys can make things happen.

I think Crosby told their ownership to re-sign Letang and Malkin, it helps they won Stanley Cups.

Hughes apparently told Vancouver that they should try to get Tanev, let's see if that happens.

I think McDavid might have had something to do with Brown going to Edmonton

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
@Kiwi

I know we spoke a bit about Wennberg a bit, what do you think of an off-season such as this?

The Vegas one is probably the most controversial.

Forsling would be my priority but I would be open to others if that failed such as DeMelo or Roy and if so, maybe there is more money for a better LW than Duclair. Trying to add some mobility into the roster. Duchene could be an interesting add for 1 year.

View attachment 812579
View attachment 812580
View attachment 812581
I went really cheap up front and added Wennberg, so I gave Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin, Tsyplakov a chance to make the roster up front and cheap in goal

I also tried to trade for defense (Fabbro Provorov) and only sign one UFA

My idea works money wise but it's risky to play as many rookies as i was penciling in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad