Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With Columbus and Jiricek at odds, I wonder if it's a good time to try and nab him. It'll take a lot but he's a future top 4 RHD that this team desperately needs

I'd say Liljegren is a future Top 4 RHD. Maybe he's there today, just needs more experience.

Is there any concern a 20 year old player feels he knows better than his management, and is making waves about it?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Anything can be 'possible', probable is a different story.
The probability of him leaving this team as anything other than UFA is very low, virtually non existent.

If he knows we won’t resign him, he’d be stupid to turn down the 8th year of his next contract, which would require accepting a trade.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If he knows we won’t resign him, he’d be stupid to turn down the 8th year of his next contract, which would require accepting a trade.
If it came to that, I would think he would prefer to pick his destination from the many options that would be available over an extra year on his contract.

Reactions: notdoneyet

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd say Liljegren is a future Top 4 RHD. Maybe he's there today, just needs more experience.

Is there any concern a 20 year old player feels he knows better than his management, and is making waves about it?

I think someone already broke down the stats and there isn't 6 defenseman better than him on the Jackets, he should probably be playing and wasn't doing all that bad.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think someone already broke down the stats and there isn't 6 defenseman better than him on the Jackets, he should probably be playing and wasn't doing all that bad.

So Leafs trade for him, play him 3rd. pairing and he pouts.

Alienates all the other defenders because he tells them he's better than they are and he should be playing with Rielly.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Id be concerned

He's young, I'd prefer him playing big minutes in the AHL than as a #6 on the tyre fire Jackets team to

His attitude to a pretty standard development situation is a red flag, sounds a bit entitled to me

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So Leafs trade for him, play him 3rd. pairing and he pouts.

Alienates all the other defenders because he tells them he's better than they are and he should be playing with Rielly.

That's definitely getting ahead of ourselves, I think if he was getting into the league on 3rd pairing and maybe second PP minutes, it's a start and he works in from there. His results will determine ice time after that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If a team can't afford him, then it's not a destination he can choose even as UFA....

A trade makes more sense in a cap world, since they can send money back.
They may have cap space in the off season that they wouldn't have in season.
Regardless, why would the Leafs want those players being dumped?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
PS

Your boy made it into a Sportsnet article :laugh::laugh:

1706559959411.png

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Korczak would be interesting. What do you guys think it’ll take to acquire him?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
They may have cap space in the off season that they wouldn't have in season.
Regardless, why would the Leafs want those players being dumped?

They wouldn't be taking cap dumps, but they'd be taking back players who have cap commitments. They'd want them for the same reason any team wants a player - because they could help them win.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Marner = NMC
So many clueless posters keep asserting this narrative.
I love the ones that say ask him to waive the NMC and play hardball and if he doesn’t the fans will make him accept the trade.
He is no different than Matthews and nylander. He will have a price in mind that he wants and it will be up to Tre if it is acceptable to the team. If not he will walk as a UFA and choose where he wants to go.
Matthews wouldn’t be happy if management doesn’t sign marner because he contributes immensely to matthews success and matthews knows it and that’s all that matters whether or not the average keyboard warrior in here wants to believe it.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Adding middling UFA defenders is just going to prolong the problems. We need a legit #2. Paying a couple of 30-year old #3s, who are going to quickly age into #4s puts us right back where we are.

Would he waive for Columbus?

I got my eye on a Marner Anaheim for Zegras +.

There was rumors of him signing an offer sheet there in the past - and rumblings that he's sick of the media attention in Toronto. Columbus seems like an up and coming team somewhat, and there's no media there.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I love the ones that say ask him to waive the NMC and play hardball and if he doesn’t the fans will make him accept the trade.
He is no different than Matthews and nylander. He will have a price in mind that he wants and it will be up to Tre if it is acceptable to the team. If not he will walk as a UFA and choose where he wants to go.
Matthews wouldn’t be happy if management doesn’t sign marner because he contributes immensely to matthews success and matthews knows it and that’s all that matters whether or not the average keyboard warrior in here wants to believe it.

If he won't accept a trade, then he can walk as a UFA and enjoy his 7-year contract.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Been reading a little more about Korczak, on board with trading for him.

Rielly - ________
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - Korczak

Basically just need to figure out a defensive partner for Rielly and the blueline looks pretty good. It’s decently mobile, lengthy and physical.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So, for whatever reason say the Leafs tell Marner they are going in a different direction and would like to trade him to a team that will meet his terms, you do not think Mitch would be willing to listen and waive if it is a team he would be willing to sign with?

Reactions: rumman

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
If he won't accept a trade, then he can walk as a UFA and enjoy his 7-year contract.
He can do a matthews and sign for four and ten at 31 like matthews he can sign his 8 year taking him to retirement
There are plenty options

So, for whatever reason say the Leafs tell Marner they are going in a different direction and would like to trade him to a team that will meet his terms, you do not think Mitch would be willing to listen and waive if it is a team he would be willing to sign with?
What if it’s not a team he would accept a trade to. Is it worth pissing marner off so he plays out his final year

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad