Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Listening to Marek and Friedman this morning and they comment that Calgary/Toronto and Montreal/New York unlikely to make trades because of former GMs being employed by the other team.

Is this not the most idiotic thing about NHL executives? Like you fired the guy, just move on from him. Finish the damn breakup.
Tree basically quit on Calgary so the owner is pissed. I think Drury went behind the back of Gordon to get the GM job so yea it makes sense why they wouldn’t do business with each other.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
These 2 are definitely what I hope for as well.

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-DeMelo
Benoit-Liljegren

That’s a solid corp.
Not sure McCabe should be second pairing, his game is going to drop off too in the not to distance future.He and Benoit would be a terrific bottom pairing, but I do appreciate the absence of Brodie, Gio, and Timmins……..

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Call me crazy, but I actually think this makes a bit of sense for both sides.

For LA, you're likely going to resign Kopitar at a discount. You've got Turcotte and Byfield looking for playing time in the middle, and Dubois.

Get out from under the potential burden that is Danault's $5.5m cap hit, while aquring a depth defensive centre, and a somewhat gritty winger that likely has untapped potential. If he can't find his way in LA; don't resign him.

From Toronto's standpoint, you get a guy that allows Tavares to move to the wing where he's likely to be more effective. Maybe it's Danault with Tavares & Nylander; maybe it's Domi getting a "promotion" and actually assembling 3 lines that serve a purpose night in and night out.
Bertuzzi has a NMC I believe.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
To Toronto: Joel Eriksson Ek
To Minnesota: Timothy Liljegren + Fraser Minten + TOR 1st Rounder

To Toronto: CAR 2nd Rounder
To Carolina: Max Domi

To Toronto: Joe Veleno
To Detroit: Noah Gregor + NYI 3rd Rounder

To Toronto: Matt Roy (50% retained)
To Los Angeles: Mikko Kokkonen + CAR 2nd Rounder

Waive: Ryan Reaves

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Eriksson Ek - Nylander
Veleno - Tavares - Robertson
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - Timmins

Woll - Samsonov
I’m not really familiar enough with Eriksson Ek, but that seems like a lot to give up for him.

Reactions: ULF_55

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With Columbus and Jiricek at odds, I wonder if it's a good time to try and nab him. It'll take a lot but he's a future top 4 RHD that this team desperately needs

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Bertuzzi has a NMC I believe.

If Bertuzzi waives the NMC, it is for a team who will give an extension.
Otherwise what would be the motivation on his side.

I might switch DeMelo and Roy up there, but good UFA choices... what do you think they are getting on their next contracts?
I am also curious about their next contracts.

It seems to me if you target two D at this level, you can fit them in capswise. But if you go after a 7M+ D, it is less likely to get a 2nd top 4 D because of the cap constraints.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Bertuzzi waives the NMC, it is for a team who will give an extension.
Otherwise what would be the motivation on his side.

I am also curious about their next contracts.

It seems to me if you target two D at this level, you can fit them in capswise. But if you go after a 7M+ D, it is less likely to get a 2nd top 4 D because of the cap constraints.
Agreed. IMO, this is the dilemma faced by the team (when working under the assumption of them adding two defencemen by the start of next season) - either add a top pairing and bottom pairing D, or opt for a couple of middle pairing D and have someone play alongside Rielly at the top (since I don't know that there would be enough cap space to add a top and middle pairing D).

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I’m not really familiar enough with Eriksson Ek, but that seems like a lot to give up for him.
Minny fans value EK insanley high on these boards

They would reject that trade

He makes less than 5M i think and is a strong defensive 2C who puts 55-60 pts

I dont think he worth more than that but they love him

He ks Mikko Koivu 2.0 for them

One Calgary Dman I wouldn’t mind taking a look at would be Oliver Kylington, now that he’s back. Man skates like the wind and would supercharge that transition game.
Some risk with him in terms of mental health

He was out of the game for a while and this year needed time to step away (dont think he had a physical injury thos year)

He is similar to Lilijgrem in playstyle with a bit more offensive push and freedom.

I think the cost to get him if a 2nd or lower may be worthwhile.

Dont want to use a 1st or Minten/Niemela type assets for him

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With Columbus and Jiricek at odds, I wonder if it's a good time to try and nab him. It'll take a lot but he's a future top 4 RHD that this team desperately needs
He'd be a great acquisition, but I really don't think that the relationship has broken down that far. They've certainly misplayed their hand and Columbus desperately needs to fire Kekäläinen out a cannon, but Jiricek doesn't really have much control here.

There are other teams that likely could outbid us, barring some type of blockbuster move.

Disclaimer - I know this would never happen, but it's fun to build fantasy teams, and this looks like a pretty good start.

Anyway.. blockbuster move, plus some of the other suggestions made in this thread... still would need a second goalie, would also need a middle six wingers... open to ideas... also need more size, 4th line banger type guy.... Still have almost $8 mil in cap, and could move Lilly for more cap if it appears as though Jiricek is NHL ready, which honestly, he isn't yet.

Trades​

Edit

TOR​

1. 2024 7th round pick (BOS)

ARI​

1. Kämpf, David

Edit

TOR​

1. Jenner, Boone
  2. Jiricek, David

CBJ​

1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. Timmins, Conor

Free Agent Signings​

RFAYEARSCAP HIT

Benoit, Simon
3$1,200,000

Liljegren, Timothy
3$3,000,000

Robertson, Nicholas
3$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT

Roy, Matt
6$5,500,000

DeMelo, Dylan
6$5,000,000

Lindholm, Elias
6$8,000,000

ROSTER

LONG-TERM OUTLOOK

EMBED

TEXT-EMBED

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
19$87,700,000$79,991,666$0$1,000,000$7,708,334
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Lindholm, Elias
$8,000,000
C
UFA
RW2
Waivers Exempt
Robertson, Nicholas
$1,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
Jenner, Boone
$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Järnkrok, Calle
$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Waivers Exempt
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Minten, Fraser
$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 2
Waivers Exempt
Cowan, Easton
$935,833
C, RW
RFA - 2
LW5RW5
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Roy, Matt
$5,500,000
RD
UFA
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
DeMelo, Dylan
$5,000,000
RD
UFA
G2
Benoit, Simon
$1,200,000
LD
RFA
Liljegren, Timothy
$3,000,000
RD
RFA
G3
LD4
Waivers Exempt
Jiricek, David
$918,333 (
Performance Bonus
$1,000,000)
RD
RFA - 2

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If Jiricek shakes loose, that’s the D you go all in for.

Hes got franchise D written all over him and is RH to boot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Instead of Eriksson Ek, I would target Dewar from the Wild. Much cheaper to acquire and a good defensive player.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Jiricek shakes loose, that’s the D you go all in for.

Hes got franchise D written all over him and is RH to boot.

They'd probably want a similar prospect/young player back, similar to the Jones for Johanson deal a few years ago. The only player that really fits the mold/value is probably Knies to some degree. I could see them having a lot of interest in Hildeby as well since they've lacked a good goaltender in a very longtime.

I suspect they'll sell off a bunch of players, call him up and they'll work at fixing the relationship.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Columbus need to move multiple D. They already have too many at the NHL level and some of their best prospects who are knocking on the NHL door are also D.

They have completely mismanaged their roster.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Jiricek is available, you do what you need to do to acquire him.

With Guerin, you’ll have to overpay. Eriksson Ek would be worth the overpay.

If you have to overpay then you are overpaying.

Pay what something is worth, don't buy on emotion or sentimental attachment unless you have money / cap space to burn.

Screw Guerin, not in the business to make his club better.

Reactions: uncleben

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Maybe, but I still think you need a solid line that can play against the other team's top line, thereby having your own top 2 lines, or your top line for sure, able to play against an easier matchup. Also, is Knies capable of playing on the top line with Matthews in the playoffs, and is that our top line if we're moving Nylander down to the 3rd line? Personally, I would trade Domi IF a shutdown type of center is coming back, like Danault. And if we could get a decent 2-way player back to play in the bottom 6, I would be okay with trading Robertson.

You know who should play against the other team’s best players? Our best players! Go head to head and beat them. We pay ours more, so they should be doing that, right?

Reactions: freshwind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad