Status
Not open for further replies.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Targer LA Kings players

The team is on a free fall and may sell assets

Danault, Moore, Roy, Kaliyev are 4 guys I would want to be in on from that team
Danault would be interesting. Kings have centre depth. Could make sense to mix things up there for them. Something like:

Danault + depth forward for Kampf + Bertuzzi

For us, Danault is a big upgrade on Kampf. A top end shut down 3C or low end 2C. He takes the defensive minutes from Kampf while also being able to give you 16-18 minutes instead because he still provides offensive ability. Bert hasn't really worked out and with a 3C coming back Domi can shift to LW to take his spot. Holmberg takes over as 4C (or the depth guy could be a 4C from the Kings as well)

For the Kings, they have Kopitar, Dubois and Byfield as well as a few more depth C's. With the way things are going it makes sense to try to see what you have in Byfield as an NHL centre. Longterm the Kings likely want Dubois and Byfield taking over the top 2 centre positions. Moving Danault gives those guys some runway as everyday centre's while still having a reliable defense 1st presence in the lineup in Kampf, just in a reduced role compared to Danault. Bertuzzi gives them some more size in the top 6 to compliment the smaller skill guys they have on the wings in Fiala and Arviddson.

Kempe-Kopitar-Arviddson
Bertuzzi- Dubois-Fiala

I like that mix in the top 6 for LA.

I think there's logic from both teams there, not sure either would actually do it though. The Kings love Danault and I don't know if the Leafs want to bring on a soon to be 31 year old with 3x5.5 left on his deal either.

Reactions: The Podium

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
These 2 are definitely what I hope for as well.

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-DeMelo
Benoit-Liljegren

That’s a solid corp.

This is my 6 as well (I mean I wouldn’t complain if we got Pesce/Skej or Tanev/forsling).

I would start with

Reilly Demelo as he plays great with morrisey
McCabe and Roy
Benoit. Lilly

But that’s probably 8-9 million.

Pesce/skej is probably 12-13

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jirichek would cost a ton
It's hard to gauge what the value would be. But yeah, it wouldn't be easy. If he wants out, the Leafs better be calling and calling a lot though.

The likely scenario is that when they start selling, they will need him and play him a lot. Leafs and Jackets make for good trading partners for their other available players.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
These 2 are definitely what I hope for as well.

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-DeMelo
Benoit-Liljegren

That’s a solid corp.

It’s ok. It’s certainly better that what we have. Is it good, not really.

Who’s a legit #2 there? Once again, we’ll have guys playing above their abilities.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I actually think the Wennberg suggestion is pretty good, although I kind of wonder about a deeper top 9

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Wennberg-88
Cowan-JT-Jarnkrok
Greb - Minten - Tverberg
I added a 4th line. I will let you figure out how to get rid of Kampf and Reaves :naughty:

Reactions: arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's hard to gauge what the value would be. But yeah, it wouldn't be easy. If he wants out, the Leafs better be calling and calling a lot though.

The likely scenario is that when they start selling, they will need him and play him a lot. Leafs and Jackets make for good trading partners for their other available players.

I wonder if the jackets are going to clean house and if they do younger guys that have been a bit meh might end up on the block like Texier

They retain on Provorov and get his cap hit down to 2.5M this season and next he'd have some usefulness as well
Although The old LBGTQ thing might not go down to well

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Danault would be interesting. Kings have centre depth. Could make sense to mix things up there for them. Something like:

Danault + depth forward for Kampf + Bertuzzi

For us, Danault is a big upgrade on Kampf. A top end shut down 3C or low end 2C. He takes the defensive minutes from Kampf while also being able to give you 16-18 minutes instead because he still provides offensive ability. Bert hasn't really worked out and with a 3C coming back Domi can shift to LW to take his spot. Holmberg takes over as 4C (or the depth guy could be a 4C from the Kings as well)

For the Kings, they have Kopitar, Dubois and Byfield as well as a few more depth C's. With the way things are going it makes sense to try to see what you have in Byfield as an NHL centre. Longterm the Kings likely want Dubois and Byfield taking over the top 2 centre positions. Moving Danault gives those guys some runway as everyday centre's while still having a reliable defense 1st presence in the lineup in Kampf, just in a reduced role compared to Danault. Bertuzzi gives them some more size in the top 6 to compliment the smaller skill guys they have on the wings in Fiala and Arviddson.

Kempe-Kopitar-Arviddson
Bertuzzi- Dubois-Fiala

I like that mix in the top 6 for LA.

I think there's logic from both teams there, not sure either would actually do it though. The Kings love Danault and I don't know if the Leafs want to bring on a soon to be 31 year old with 3x5.5 left on his deal either.

Call me crazy, but I actually think this makes a bit of sense for both sides.

For LA, you're likely going to resign Kopitar at a discount. You've got Turcotte and Byfield looking for playing time in the middle, and Dubois.

Get out from under the potential burden that is Danault's $5.5m cap hit, while aquring a depth defensive centre, and a somewhat gritty winger that likely has untapped potential. If he can't find his way in LA; don't resign him.

From Toronto's standpoint, you get a guy that allows Tavares to move to the wing where he's likely to be more effective. Maybe it's Danault with Tavares & Nylander; maybe it's Domi getting a "promotion" and actually assembling 3 lines that serve a purpose night in and night out.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I’m not sure. I do feel like that deal is a bit of an overpayment. Acquiring Peeke with no retention would ideally lower the cost a tiny bit. But I would still do it.

Going into next year I think we need to acquire players of need but also fit. For example I like Domi but if you’re not playing him on your second line, where does he really fit? He’s terrible defensively creating a hole in the bottom six. You can’t have a shutdown line or a dump and chase/cycle line.

Sillinger is someone ideally I’d like to form a good second line with Marner. That’s two players that can play a 200ft game. Pushes JT down to the third line where he belongs.
I have no idea, but how many true Cup contenders have a legitimate shutdown line? A line you feel confident in putting out against the other team’s top line at any time during a game? I’m guessing they all would. I don’t believe we’ve ever had one since this core group arrived. To me, that would go a long way to really making a difference to this team.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Call me crazy, but I actually think this makes a bit of sense for both sides.

For LA, you're likely going to resign Kopitar at a discount. You've got Turcotte and Byfield looking for playing time in the middle, and Dubois.

Get out from under the potential burden that is Danault's $5.5m cap hit, while aquring a depth defensive centre, and a somewhat gritty winger that likely has untapped potential. If he can't find his way in LA; don't resign him.

From Toronto's standpoint, you get a guy that allows Tavares to move to the wing where he's likely to be more effective. Maybe it's Danault with Tavares & Nylander; maybe it's Domi getting a "promotion" and actually assembling 3 lines that serve a purpose night in and night out.
But the problem is that Domi did not do well on the wing, he has been much more effective at center. Would Tavares be at least okay defensively if he played 2LW with Domi at center and Marner on the other wing? Then have Danault as your 3rd line center to play against the other team’s top line? Of course another problem would be do we have two wingers who could play with Danault on that shutdown 3rd line? And then there is also the Robertson conundrum. If he’s never going to be able to play on the top 2 lines, could we trade him to a team who’s looking for more scoring depth, for a solid 3rd line winger? If so, would we have to add?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
If my memory serves we was pretty doodoo on the Leafs and Dubas traded him as a fresh start and a new opportunity. He's clearly used his increased ice time and role well, but I don't think we would have seen this on Toronto, but maybe I'm wrong.
Leafs may be interested in bringing Barabanov back.

Reactions: uncleben

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
But the problem is that Domi did not do well on the wing, he has been much more effective at center. Would Tavares be at least okay defensively if he played 2LW with Domi at center and Marner on the other wing? Then have Danault as your 3rd line center to play against the other team’s top line? Of course another problem would be do we have two wingers who could play with Danault on that shutdown 3rd line? And then there is also the Robertson conundrum. If he’s never going to be able to play on the top 2 lines, could we trade him to a team who’s looking for more scoring depth, for a solid 3rd line winger? If so, would we have to add?

Personally, I don't neccessarily think you need a "3rd shutdown line"; but rather, just 3 really good lines. I look at the year we had both Kadri & Tavares; and we created matchup nightmares for the Bruins until Kadri got himself suspended.

I like the idea of putting Domi & Nylander together; so long as it's somebody ultra-reliable like Jarnkrok on the left side.

You could take Danault, and put him between Tavares & Marner potentially.

As for Robertson, personally, I've felt that there's never really been a good spot for him on this team, and there is unlikely to ever be. He needs to play on a 2nd line in a "sniper's" role. The big 4 are all at their best in space, and need guys to do the dirty work that Robertson just isn't equipped to do.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No idea why Winnipeg would move Demelo when they're looking for a cup run. They've spent 20 years building to get to this point, they're not selling off now.

Danault and M. Roy are interesting though. It would really bump up our defensive presance and helps the matchup game, sheltering Tavares and getting Matthews prime minutes.

I sad a tweet that we've been missing a Muzzin type badly since he's left, and it's totally true. If we had to give up good assets to gain that piece again, it would really help. Not sure who the guy is though.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
No idea why Winnipeg would move Demelo when they're looking for a cup run. They've spent 20 years building to get to this point, they're not selling off now.

Danault and M. Roy are interesting though. It would really bump up our defensive presance and helps the matchup game, sheltering Tavares and getting Matthews prime minutes.

I sad a tweet that we've been missing a Muzzin type badly since he's left, and it's totally true. If we had to give up good assets to gain that piece again, it would really help. Not sure who the guy is though.
When it comes to DeMelo, I think everyone is referencing to the off-season when he’s a UFA.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I would be all in on getting an actual #2 on this blueline. Hanifin or Chychrun are the guys. Either of them signed long term to any number under Rielly and I'm happy. Something like:

Rielly-McCabe
Hanifin-Liljegren
Benoit-Brodie

is a step in the right direction

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if the jackets are going to clean house and if they do younger guys that have been a bit meh might end up on the block like Texier

They retain on Provorov and get his cap hit down to 2.5M this season and next he'd have some usefulness as well
Although The old LBGTQ thing might not go down to well

Zero interest in Provorov. He's also LHD. Just not a good fit for a few different reasons. The Leafs desperately need to target natural RD/RHDs to fit their defensive pairings instead of forcing a square in a circle.

Jackets should clean house in their front office before they do anything. But I do hope the Leafs can maybe make a trade with them to take advantage of what is likely a desperate front office. If Jiricek wants out, Leafs need to get creative and get something done.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Joel Eriksson Ek
To Minnesota: Timothy Liljegren + Fraser Minten + TOR 1st Rounder

To Toronto: CAR 2nd Rounder
To Carolina: Max Domi

To Toronto: Joe Veleno
To Detroit: Noah Gregor + NYI 3rd Rounder

To Toronto: Matt Roy (50% retained)
To Los Angeles: Mikko Kokkonen + CAR 2nd Rounder

Waive: Ryan Reaves

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Eriksson Ek - Nylander
Veleno - Tavares - Robertson
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - Timmins

Woll - Samsonov

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Hard pass

Better off giving Robertson and Holmberg that ice time.

A small-non physical winger in the bottom 6 with mediocre production and subpar defense isn’t what’s needed.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Personally, I don't neccessarily think you need a "3rd shutdown line"; but rather, just 3 really good lines. I look at the year we had both Kadri & Tavares; and we created matchup nightmares for the Bruins until Kadri got himself suspended.

I like the idea of putting Domi & Nylander together; so long as it's somebody ultra-reliable like Jarnkrok on the left side.

You could take Danault, and put him between Tavares & Marner potentially.

As for Robertson, personally, I've felt that there's never really been a good spot for him on this team, and there is unlikely to ever be. He needs to play on a 2nd line in a "sniper's" role. The big 4 are all at their best in space, and need guys to do the dirty work that Robertson just isn't equipped to do.
Maybe, but I still think you need a solid line that can play against the other team's top line, thereby having your own top 2 lines, or your top line for sure, able to play against an easier matchup. Also, is Knies capable of playing on the top line with Matthews in the playoffs, and is that our top line if we're moving Nylander down to the 3rd line? Personally, I would trade Domi IF a shutdown type of center is coming back, like Danault. And if we could get a decent 2-way player back to play in the bottom 6, I would be okay with trading Robertson.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Targer LA Kings players

The team is on a free fall and may sell assets

Danault, Moore, Roy, Kaliyev are 4 guys I would want to be in on from that team
I believe these players can be traded by Kings, but it will be very difficult to make.
All 4 players have serious value around the league and Toronto will get stiff competition trading for them.
I think Kings would be interested in 1st round pick and Joseph Woll, Matthew Knies, Fraser Minten and Dennis Hildeby.
In my opinion all others Toronto prospects/players will not have Kings interest.
Just look at Kings roster and on list of their prospects.
P.S. LA cannot retain. There is no salary space left.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Listening to Marek and Friedman this morning and they comment that Calgary/Toronto and Montreal/New York unlikely to make trades because of former GMs being employed by the other team.

Is this not the most idiotic thing about NHL executives? Like you fired the guy, just move on from him. Finish the damn breakup.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I believe these players can be traded by Kings, but it will be very difficult to make.
All 4 players have serious value around the league and Toronto will get stiff competition trading for them.
I think Kings would be interested in 1st round pick and Joseph Woll, Matthew Knies, Fraser Minten and Dennis Hildeby.
In my opinion all others Toronto prospects/players will not have Kings interest.
Just look at Kings roster and on list of their prospects.
P.S. LA cannot retain. There is no salary space left.
I would have minten + 1st available for Danault

Issue is cap space, we cant do that move without retention, and you mentioned the Kings cant retain

Reactions: kinghock

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Listening to Marek and Friedman this morning and they comment that Calgary/Toronto and Montreal/New York unlikely to make trades because of former GMs being employed by the other team.

Is this not the most idiotic thing about NHL executives? Like you fired the guy, just move on from him. Finish the damn breakup.
There is a lot of stupid stuff in this league and its old boys club that makes no sense. Another example was the Expansion drafts and McPhee and Francis not taking the best available players in many scenarios and instead making side deals where they left value on the table or took a worse player to not be offensive and piss off the other GMs lol.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

A reunion here probably wouldn't be my favourite idea. Doesn't seem like a longer term fit would be there, and I don't think the ask from SJ would make enough sense for a shorter term to be all that worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad