Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If you have to overpay then you are overpaying.

Pay what something is worth, don't buy on emotion or sentimental attachment unless you have money / cap space to burn.

Screw Guerin, not in the business to make his club better.
Eriksson Ek’s contract is almost as important as him. Having a second line center who can put up 60 points while providing very good defence is worth it.

Focus on the blueline this off-season when certain defenceman will be able to be added for cap space only.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Eriksson Ek’s contract is almost as important as him. Having a second line center who can put up 60 points while providing very good defence is worth it.

Focus on the blueline this off-season when certain defenceman will be able to be added for cap space only.

Adding middling UFA defenders is just going to prolong the problems. We need a legit #2. Paying a couple of 30-year old #3s, who are going to quickly age into #4s puts us right back where we are.

Marner in the summer with an extension for Jiricek +???

Would he waive for Columbus?

I got my eye on a Marner Anaheim for Zegras +.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Adding middling UFA defenders is just going to prolong the problems. We need a legit #2. Paying a couple of 30-year old #3s, who are going to quickly age into #4s puts us right back where we are.

Mrs. Marner might like California or perhaps Arizona...........

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022

Wild aren't ever moving Eriksson Ek anyway. So it doesn't matter. Toronto has nothing to offer Minnesota for a top two way C when Minnesota only other C is Marco Rossi

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
If Jiricek is available, you do what you need to do to acquire him.

With Guerin, you’ll have to overpay. Eriksson Ek would be worth the overpay.

With Guerin, you’ll have to overpay. Eriksson Ek would be worth the overpay.
And Minnesota wouldn't ever trade him. Also a nothing 1st and nothing prospects considering Minnesota prospects pool and they aren't rebuilding . Erikson Ek is worth three 1st but it doesn't matter. Minnesota wouldn't ever consider moving him when he's the only established C they have besides Rossi

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Outside of Matthews, I would say our center depth is just as weak as our blueline depth. We need to address both.

If I’m dealing Marner to Anaheim, I want McTavish in the deal. McTavish - Cowan duo would be unreal.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
JEE would be pricey and likely isn’t available

If the Leafs are looking at a centre upgrade with versatility I’d keep tabs on Gourde should Seattle fall out of the race.

Signed through next year too.
Exactly and that tlmb guy doesn't consider bill Guerin is Minnesota gm, nor that Eriksson Ek is Minnesota only established C besides Rossi

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Minny fans value EK insanley high on these boards

They would reject that trade

He makes less than 5M i think and is a strong defensive 2C who puts 55-60 pts

I dont think he worth more than that but they love him

He ks Mikko Koivu 2.0 for them

Some risk with him in terms of mental health

He was out of the game for a while and this year needed time to step away (dont think he had a physical injury thos year)

He is similar to Lilijgrem in playstyle with a bit more offensive push and freedom.

I think the cost to get him if a 2nd or lower may be worthwhile.

Dont want to use a 1st or Minten/Niemela type assets for him
You do realize that's a nothing offer right? Offering Minnesota a c d prospect in Frazier who wouldn't be anything to Minnesota prospect pool, a dman Minnesota doesn't need and late 1st for a stud two way c on long term contract and wild only good Established C they wouldn't trade considering they have kaprizov also

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What pieces do we see the Leafs parting with to make deadline upgrades?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Outside of Matthews, I would say our center depth is just as weak as our blueline depth. We need to address both.

If I’m dealing Marner to Anaheim, I want McTavish in the deal. McTavish - Cowan duo would be unreal.

To build a winning team, Marner has to go, and his NNC means we’re aren’t getting full value. I don’t see them moving McTavish, so take what we can get.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: You honestly think he'd waive for Anaheim?

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
You know who should play against the other team’s best players? Our best players! Go head to head and beat them. We pay ours more, so they should be doing that, right?
Oh I agree with what you're saying regarding their contracts. Unfortunately, as you and I both know, they haven't been able to do that in the playoffs. This top heavy lineup that Shanahan likes, has not worked since they came here. I know who I'm wishing would be replaced, and with the new person joining the Board in April, that's what I'm hoping for.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What pieces do we see the Leafs parting with to make deadline upgrades?
The first round pick for sure. I still think Robertson will likely be traded, but maybe not. Beyond that, I expect that it will be the usual collection or lower/mid-tier prospects and later round picks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You do realize that's a nothing offer right? Offering Minnesota a c d prospect in Frazier who wouldn't be anything to Minnesota prospect pool, a dman Minnesota doesn't need and late 1st for a stud two way c on long term contract and wild only good Established C they wouldn't trade considering they have kaprizov also

Yes, the Wild don't have a tonne of depth at center.

Perhaps 2025-2026 season when they get out of Cap punishment they can look at doing something.

Not sure Coyotes are going to be everyone's get out of Cap Jail facility going forward.

Wild are 27th. (Point%), so not exactly a good team, but they do have some youngsters and maybe Boldy will earn the $7mm he was gifted.

Wrong team to try and deal with, especially at center.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The first round pick for sure. I still think Robertson will likely be traded, but maybe not. Beyond that, I expect that it will be the usual collection or lower/mid-tier prospects and later round picks.
How will they fit the incoming players cap if they don't move cap out?

If Leafs are not willing to meet his demands, and Ducks are, it is a possibility. No need to wait until July 1st to move.
He can't be signed yet, there are no demands to be met.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How will they fit the incoming players cap if they don't move cap out?

He can't be signed yet, there are no demands to be met.
He's no being moved this season. He can be signed after July 1, 2014. Teams willing to pay his ask would get him for the extra year. Not saying it will happen, just saying it is a possibility.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He's no being moved this season. He can be signed after July 1, 2014. Teams willing to pay his ask would get him for the extra year. Not saying it will happen, just saying it is a possibility.
Anything can be 'possible', probable is a different story.
The probability of him leaving this team as anything other than UFA is very low, virtually non existent.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I added a 4th line. I will let you figure out how to get rid of Kampf and Reaves :naughty:

I don't think I would waste Greb on the 4th line.

Minten-Tverberg are likely bottom 6 guys so breaking in on the 4th line is probably okay.

I would want Greb to get in on maybe line 3 and go from there.

Reactions: LeafParade

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Anything can be 'possible', probable is a different story.
The probability of him leaving this team as anything other than UFA is very low, virtually non existent.

There would have to be movement in management before I see any movement in the top players.

marner is likely to retire a Leafs player after Matthews moves on.

Be nice if they could keep Ovechkin and Backstrom together until they win a Cup.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There would have to be movement in management before I see any movement in the top players.

marner is likely to retire a Leafs player after Matthews moves on.

Be nice if they could keep Ovechkin and Backstrom together until they win a Cup.
Worst case, Leafs are swept by Florida in round 1. Do you run it back?

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad