Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Stand pat of course if the deals are all too expensive and you can’t make an upgrade to the team with term, but going into the TDL with the mindset of just not adding at all because picks isnt the play imo. This team needs some defensive help and that shouldn’t cost the farm to acquire. You’re not going to obviously get all the way there now, some more and probably the most significant moves will need to come in the offseason, but that doesn’t mean you just don’t try to upgrade the team for the playoffs. Just no rentals.

horner

May 22, 2007
Let’s say Marner took less than what he’s worth, we still can’t build a team around two right wingers making 23+ million. Even if he took 10, that’s probably too much.
The problem.is they both don't get involved physically which come the playoffs you need some nasty players .
Having them both in your top 6 doesn't work .
You need to find a skilled winger with size and has a physical edge to his game.
Knies will get there
We need one more.
People talking about lindholm he is vanilla non confrontational.

Reactions: arso40

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Well as a Kings fan we're use to being bent over and with our very obvious situation on RHD I'm sure Rob Blake will screw us once more with a not so great return.

Need to make a spot on the right side so Spence and Clarke can both play regularly. I'm guessing the asking price will be higher as a rental but there's no shot we have the cap to resign him in the Summer.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My targets would be the 1st round picks and high end prospects that we still have left, hope they're still with us after the TDL.

I'd add 2nd round picks to that list if I thought we had any left in the next few years. Wait, now that I think of it, let's add them to the list just in case they're on the table ATM. I'd rather not trade away our 2nd round picks in 2028-29 or whenever, enough is enough.
Perspective……..

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
A possible solution to the 3C would be Colton Scissons. That way, Jarnkrok could move down and Keefe finally has his shutdown line.

Robertson - Scissons - Domi
McMann/gregor/Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Move Kampf in the summer and let Minten take 4C. When Scissons' contract is up, let Minten take over (or Holmberg if he's developed enough).

Reactions: Stephen

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm not sure what it would take for me to part with a 1st, but given how depleted the pick reserves are, A rental or a Chicago-type deal wouldn't be it.
A legit top 4 RD with term and any physicality to his game. Its worth whatever it costs because they can't compete without that. They haven't taken a swing at such a player since Rasanen and have nothing like one on the way in their system.

Pay now or pay later. One of the "bit too old" guys like Weegar or Parayko might have been doable without the Willie deal but you don't want to spend that much on an aging D with $37M committed to 3 forwards. Walker has no term, he doesn't play 1st pair minutes, he isn't the guy who gets all the D zone starts and does not have the resume to give up a 1st for.

They only have one bullet. I think Tanev won't cost a 1st (listening to the Calgary radio jocks at least) and I would pay a 1st++ for Larsson.. Aim high and fix the hole.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How about two trades before the deadline...

Tyler Bertuzzi (1.5 retained) to Vegas for Kaeden Korczak and Brett Howden (salary coming back)

Timothy Liljegren, Nick Robertson, and Roni Hirvonen to St. Louis for Colton Parayko and Oskar Sundqvist (rental)

2024 Play-off Roster
Matthew Knies - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Max Domi - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Oskar Sundqvist - Brett Howden - Calle Jarnkrok
Pontus Holmberg - David Kampf - Noah Gregor
(scratch) Ryan Reaves

Morgan Rielly - TJ Brodie
Jake McCabe - Colton Parayko
Simon Benoit - Kaeden Korczak
(scratch) Mark Giordano

Ilya Samsonov
Joseph Woll
(scratch) Martin Jones​

Reactions: LeafEgo

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Tyler Bertuzzi (1.5 retained) to Vegas for Kaeden Korczak and Brett Howden (salary coming back)

Timothy Liljegren, Nick Robertson, and Roni Hirvonen to St. Louis for Colton Parayko and Oskar Sundqvist (rental)

2024 Play-off Roster
(scratch) Ryan Reaves

(scratch) Mark Giordano

Ilya Samsonov
Joseph Woll
(scratch) Martin Jones​
I think Bertuzzi to Vegas is certainly plausible, but I don't think there's much chance of Korczak coming back.

And for me, I wouldn't go near Parayko and that contract.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think Bertuzzi to Vegas is certainly plausible, but I don't think there's much chance of Korczak coming back.

As Parayko declines, the cap will be rising. He's a good #2 right now, which is worth more than 6.5. By the time he declines to a #3, 6.5 will likely be the going rate. If he does decline to a #4, it won't be that bad.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

2024 Play-off Roster
(scratch) Ryan Reaves

(scratch) Mark Giordano

Ilya Samsonov
Joseph Woll
(scratch) Martin Jones​
Love the first trade even if we have to add a prospect I wouldn’t make the second trade with lily going out or Robertson

Reactions: Buds17 and uncleben

horner

May 22, 2007
2024 7 round mock draft
They had the Leafs trading for McBain at the draft

Gregor + Steeves + 1st + 3rd
for
2nd + 4th

Sign
Dakota Joshua 2.5 mil × 3 yrs

Big mean 3rd line
Cowen McBain Joshua

It would allow us to leave Minten in the AHL for a couple of yrs

Trade
Kampf retain 1 mil
for
4th rd pk

UFA
Hakanpaa RD 3 mil @ 4 yrs partner for Morgan

Skjie LD 6 mil @ 4 yrs partner for McCabe

Seeler RD 2 mil @ 4 yrs partner for Benoit 1.5 mil * 2 yrs

I think Ljiligren will be traded

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

A lot of proposals with Bertuzzi in them, but he has a no movement clause. He’s not going anywhere this season, he’s with us for the playoff run this year

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
As Parayko declines, the cap will be rising. He's a good #2 right now, which is worth more than 6.5. By the time he declines to a #3, 6.5 will likely be the going rate. If he does decline to a #4, it won't be that bad.
Parayko is still a good D man, but rather try to find a younger version of him, something like Benoit with a tinge of offence. My priority for the back end is solid D first and foremost at a age that decline due to age is not in the cards…….

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Rasmus Andersson is the guy, I’ve wanted us to target him for years. Depending on the cost, I would go for him now, would ideally get three playoff runs out of him. Two more years left after this season at 4.5m.

Whether or not the flames sell is a different story, that team are spinning their wheels, and should head for a rebuild.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If the Leafs need to step back and stand pat or slightly sell, it is what it is.

The Lightning, who made the Cup final in 2015 and Conference finals in 2016, decided to take a step back in 2017 after deciding it just wasn't their year. They sold off Ben Bishop and managed to get Cernak in that deal. They traded Brian Boyle to Lou for a 2nd.

2018 they made the conference final
2019 they were embarrassingly swept in the first round
2020 they win

I get it, there is more year in year out success there. But it's an example of the ups and downs teams can go through as they try to find their way and piece together the right fits for their team.

If this year is one step back to take two steps forward, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad