Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not with Keefe behind the bench.

I see very little defensive structure under Keefe, something any serious team with aspirations for a long playoff run would need.

Before long, we will probably get a chance to see if another coach can instill a defensive structure with these players. I have often wondered if the core just doesn't want to play a defensive structure, and then the whole team doesn't play that way.... is it the coach, is it the players???

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Before long, we will probably get a chance to see if another coach can instill a defensive structure with these players. I have often wondered if the core just doesn't want to play a defensive structure, and then the whole team doesn't play that way.... is it the coach, is it the players???
I think under the right coach they would buy in.

horner

May 22, 2007
Dakota Joshua C UFA
Big strong center skilled physical hits fights
47% FOW
He's already reached his points totals from last year
46 gp 11 g 12 a 23 pts + 15
2.5 mil * 4 yrs

It's to bad we let him go in the first place

I think under the right coach they would buy in.
Patrick Roy would have been a good one to get

Reactions: BallardEra

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The Leafs have been one of the better defensive teams in the league under Keefe prior to this season. I think everyone understood that the off-season acquisitions, combined with the players who left, would result in reductions to their defensive ability and penalty killing abilities. That said, both of those things are much easier to address than sub-standard goaltending.

As for Patrick Roy, I don't doubt that he is probably a good coach, but I think he is walking into a time bomb with the Islanders. That team will need to be (or at least should be) torn down at some point in the near future because they are currently stuck in the middle - not good enough to win, and not bad enough to get a good draft pick. He isn't going to magically turn that lineup into a contending team. Not even Barry Trotz could at this point.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Trading Knies and Cowan would be a mistake for a defenseman that's not a top 3 dman. I think the 1st/Miten/Robertson/Niemla should be on the table for a d-man.

Also don't mind Toronto staying put and not making deals for rentals this year, you can't go all in every year, some years its not your year to do it, this seems like one of those years.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Time to trade while Robertson has lots of goals in his past few games.

He's too much like Leivo. Can score off the rush and if you get him a pass but doesn't do anything else technically good.

We can't win without what he can help us get in trade, but we can live without him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There is no chance Tre moves Knies. Power forwards usually take a couple years in the NHL to really develop and Knies is doing just fine in year one.

Chances are exceedingly low that Knies would be moved. But the Gauthier for Drysdale trade tells me if you could get an offer for a defenseman who is similar age, similar upside you’d probably stay on the call a little longer.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Time to trade while Robertson has lots of goals in his past few games.

He's too much like Leivo. Can score off the rush and if you get him a pass but doesn't do anything else technically good.

We can't win without what he can help us get in trade, but we can live without him.
Major problem with Robertson is he’s never going to be a top 6 guy on our team, and he doesn’t fit a 3rd line role in shutting down other lines, you can maybe get away with him on your 3rd line, but you need to have 2 other really good 2 way forwards, and he would have to improve on the defensive side of the puck.

Reactions: jaric1862

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I would personally love Korczak, I think they could use some additional scoring in the top 6-9, I could actually see a player like Bertuzzi appealing to them.

In terms of the Devils, I like both Bastian and McLeod and when the Devils didn't qualify both, I was interested. I don't think they'd trade either now.
Interestingly, they have 5.5m in cap space.

Korczak would be a great target; we have no-one like him in the system. Then sign the best UFA defender available, whether that's Forsling/Hanifin/etc.

Reactions: arso40

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Just out of curiously, would Leafs fans be interested in making a deal for Byram from Colorado?

My thought would be a three team trade where Toronto possibly gives up some cap and young players to get Byram. Colorado targets a team like Anaheim for Zegras and Anaheim gets much of the young assets.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just out of curiously, would Leafs fans be interested in making a deal for Byram from Colorado?

My thought would be a three team trade where Toronto possibly gives up some cap and young players to get Byram. Colorado targets a team like Anaheim for Zegras and Anaheim gets much of the young assets.

Personally would love Byram. Think he would add a lot of those Rielly type ingredients and would be next generation Dman for us. But what Anaheim would want back would be a big question mark. Also Byram’s health. Assume his numbers are weak because of who he plays behind in Colorado, with Makar and Toews.

Reactions: Perratrooper

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The shine has certainly come off and he's a LD, interest wouldn't be as high and I wouldn't want to pay an incredibly high price.

I'm really hoping especially with the scouts there the other night that we're looking at a guy like Korczak, a guy that can be here now and for years to come.

Chadwick, Korczak and Niemela are some interesting building blocks.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Interestingly, they have 5.5m in cap space.

Korczak would be a great target; we have no-one like him in the system. Then sign the best UFA defender available, whether that's Forsling/Hanifin/etc.

Do they really have that kind of capspace? Aren't most of their LTIR players going to be activated by mid February?

Edit: And Bertuzzi certainly does seem like a Vegas player who can slot into their lineup quite easily.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

I think Byram is obtainable because Colorado is in a cap crunch and will have to move him or Girard. Colorado probably want Domi and a 3rd pairing D for a playoff run. I suspect they would want McCabe because it buys them time until Johnsson is off the books.

I'm really hoping especially with the scouts there the other night that we're looking at a guy like Korczak, a guy that can be here now and for years to come.

He is exactly the type of player they need to target. Sell off all the UFA for a young D. Then use the cap space in free agency to get a top 4 D. Suddenly the D starts to take shape.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you're taking a long term approach to the team, I wonder if there is a deal to be made with Colorado around Byram and McCabe. McCabe is definitely all about right now for Colorado.

Adding Korczak in a Bertuzzi (those 2 would be the primary pieces) and all of a sudden, the blue line gets younger and frankly, more interesting.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If you're taking a long term approach to the team, I wonder if there is a deal to be made with Colorado around Byram and McCabe. McCabe is definitely all about right now for Colorado.

Adding Korczak in a Bertuzzi (those 2 would be the primary pieces) and all of a sudden, the blue line gets younger and frankly, more interesting.

I have been playing with the idea of Bertuzzi to Vegas & McCabe or McCabe/Domi to Colorado.

Basically, get Korzcak and Byram anyway you can. None of these pieces we are throwing in are long-term pieces for the Leafs. In 2 years, you are sitting pretty and have most of the roster sorted out.

Edit: And you still have cap space this summer to target a top 4 D.
Reilly, Top 4D, Byram, Lilly, Korzcak, Benoit next year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Trading Knies and Cowan would be a mistake for a defenseman that's not a top 3 dman. I think the 1st/Miten/Robertson/Niemla should be on the table for a d-man.

Also don't mind Toronto staying put and not making deals for rentals this year, you can't go all in every year, some years its not your year to do it, this seems like one of those years.

I wouldn’t trade Knies or Cowan separately for another stopgap but I would trade Knies AND Cowan for a top D.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have been playing with the idea of Bertuzzi to Vegas & McCabe or McCabe/Domi to Colorado.

Basically, get Korzcak and Byram anyway you can. None of these pieces we are throwing in are long-term pieces for the Leafs. In 2 years, you are sitting pretty and have most of the roster sorted out.

Edit: And you still have cap space this summer to target a top 4 D.
Reilly, Top 4D, Byram, Lilly, Korzcak, Benoit next year.

1706040181842.png

I think freeing up Kampf, Reaves and Timmin's money for the summer actually goes a long way towards allowing for even more moves in the summer.

I will play with a free agency type capfriendly assuming these moves happen between TDL / early off-season.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
The shine has certainly come off and he's a LD, interest wouldn't be as high and I wouldn't want to pay an incredibly high price.

I think w
I think Byram is obtainable because Colorado is in a cap crunch and will have to move him or Girard. Colorado probably want Domi and a 3rd pairing D for a playoff run. I suspect they would want McCabe because it buys them time until Johnsson is off the books.

He is exactly the type of player they need to target. Sell off all the UFA for a young D. Then use the cap space in free agency to get a top 4 D. Suddenly the D starts to take shape.

Domi and a third pairing defender wouldn’t get the convo started if we’re being serious. It would be a future heaven return for Colorado to get a young 2C.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think w

Domi and a third pairing defender wouldn’t get the convo started if we’re being serious. It would be a future heaven return for Colorado to get a young 2C.

McCabe - He's for right now versus tomorrow, it will appeal to Colorado
Domi (50% retained) - They maybe scouted us the other night and reportedly want another centre
Jones - They're also reportedly after another goalie

for

Byam
4th 2025
5th 2026

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Domi (50% retained) - They maybe scouted us the other night and reportedly want another centre

for

Byam
4th 2025
5th 2026

To be clear, I’m a Colorado fan and I wouldn’t make that trade.

It would likely have to be more in-line with something around Knies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
*READ FIRST*

1. Most of the transactions would occur around the TDL but maybe early off-season ahead of UFA as well.

2. I opted for a Parayko trade because he's apparently available and as much as I love Forsling, I just feel like Florida gets the deal done. I'm 110% open to other ideas on the blueline but the idea is to essentially make the blueline a little younger, mobile and larger, quickly. Vancouver changed their defense around quite quickly and this is an attempt to do similar.

I realize Tanev and Parayko aren't spring chickens either but I feel like Tanev is a given with Brad running things.

3. Read the transactions as there is key details to the trades

4. For depth guys like Cole Smith as an example, substitute another name if it makes you happier.

1706041927454.png

1706041946898.png

1706041970307.png

To be clear, I’m a Colorado fan and I wouldn’t make that trade.

It would likely have to be more in-line with something around Knies.

Gotcha.

No offense but no chance.

Byram is a nice player and all but there is still durability issues, specifically the head injury history that scares the crap out of me.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

for

Byam
4th 2025
5th 2026

If you had a good young defender would you trade him for that?
You want Byram it's going to hurt

Think Knies plus Minten, that may make them listen but theres no way there doing it for McCabe and stuff imo

Reactions: TMLAM34

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If you had a good young defender would you trade him for that?
You want Byram it's going to hurt

Think Knies plus Minten, that may make them listen but theres no way there doing it for McCabe and stuff imo

Bertuzzi+McCabe to Vegas then it is. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad