Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I'm going to speculate that we're looking primarily at Vegas.

The Devils basically just need a goalie, they're fine for everything else.

Vegas? Their entire blueline minus Martinez would be of interest to us.

What does Vegas exactly need?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'm going to speculate that we're looking primarily at Vegas.

The Devils basically just need a goalie, they're fine for everything else.

Vegas? Their entire blueline minus Martinez would be of interest to us.
Yeah no clue. Devils have McLeod and Bastion. Vegas has Whitecloud, Roy, Stephenson maybe, Kolesar. Idk who they would be willing to move tbh and I'm forgetting who is on the roster too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Korczak would be very nice

What does Vegas exactly need?

Yeah no clue. Devils have McLeod and Bastion. Vegas has Whitecloud, Roy, Stephenson maybe, Kolesar. Idk who they would be willing to move tbh and I'm forgetting who is on the roster too.

I would personally love Korczak, I think they could use some additional scoring in the top 6-9, I could actually see a player like Bertuzzi appealing to them.

In terms of the Devils, I like both Bastian and McLeod and when the Devils didn't qualify both, I was interested. I don't think they'd trade either now.

Reactions: arso40

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I would personally love Korczak, I think they could use some additional scoring in the top 6-9, I could actually see a player like Bertuzzi appealing to them.

In terms of the Devils, I like both Bastian and McLeod and when the Devils didn't qualify both, I was interested. I don't think they'd trade either now.
I'm with you, would gladly take all 3

Reactions: TMLAM34 and arso40

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

McLeod is a RFA after this season ends so maybe they'll move him if they think they won't have enough to bring him back. Might prioritize Mercer and Toffoli since he's been a good fit there. He's as good as they come as a defensive responsible C who is top in the league at faceoffs every year and a damn good skater. Could even be a 3rd C imo if they wanted to put Domi back at wing. Vegas is just tough to figure out what they'd wat to move because they are the defending champs so might not want to make too many changes.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

In a recent segment on the 32 Thoughts podcast, Elliotte Friedman provided insights into the Toronto Maple Leafs’ approach leading up to the NHL Trade Deadline. Friedman, reiterating his earlier stance, suggested that the Maple Leafs may not go all-in this season, emphasizing the team’s cautious evaluation of their roster’s competitiveness.

While acknowledging ongoing scrutiny about the Leafs’ intentions, Friedman highlighted their persistent scouring of the trade market, particularly in the quest for defensive reinforcements. The management, led by GM Brad Treliving, has been committed to fortifying the blue line for the long term.

Friedman maintained his belief that the Leafs are not entirely convinced that the current season is their prime opportunity for a deep playoff run. He noted that the team remains wary of making short-term moves that could jeopardize their future prospects. They certainly don’t want to give up anything they deem is a key core piece moving forward.

What Are Teams Calling and Asking the Maple Leafs About?

In terms of trade inquiries, Friedman disclosed that other teams are predominantly expressing interest in four key assets – Matthew Knies, Fraser Minten, Easton Cowan, and the Leafs’ first-round pick. He emphasized that, especially for short-term solutions, the Leafs are reluctant to part with any of these assets.

Friedman briefly touched on Knies’ challenging season but expressed confidence in the young player’s abilities, indicating a reluctance to trade him. Selling on the player would be a mistake. Selling low would be a huge one. The Leafs’ cautious approach suggests a strategic focus on long-term success rather than making hasty decisions for immediate gains.

As the trade deadline approaches, the Maple Leafs face the daunting task of balancing present needs with future seasons of being competitive, a challenge that hinges on their assessment of the team’s readiness for a championship push this season.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

In a recent segment on the 32 Thoughts podcast, Elliotte Friedman provided insights into the Toronto Maple Leafs’ approach leading up to the NHL Trade Deadline. Friedman, reiterating his earlier stance, suggested that the Maple Leafs may not go all-in this season, emphasizing the team’s cautious evaluation of their roster’s competitiveness.

While acknowledging ongoing scrutiny about the Leafs’ intentions, Friedman highlighted their persistent scouring of the trade market, particularly in the quest for defensive reinforcements. The management, led by GM Brad Treliving, has been committed to fortifying the blue line for the long term.

Friedman maintained his belief that the Leafs are not entirely convinced that the current season is their prime opportunity for a deep playoff run. He noted that the team remains wary of making short-term moves that could jeopardize their future prospects. They certainly don’t want to give up anything they deem is a key core piece moving forward.

In terms of trade inquiries, Friedman disclosed that other teams are predominantly expressing interest in four key assets – Matthew Knies, Fraser Minten, Easton Cowan, and the Leafs’ first-round pick. He emphasized that, especially for short-term solutions, the Leafs are reluctant to part with any of these assets.

Friedman briefly touched on Knies’ challenging season but expressed confidence in the young player’s abilities, indicating a reluctance to trade him. Selling on the player would be a mistake. Selling low would be a huge one. The Leafs’ cautious approach suggests a strategic focus on long-term success rather than making hasty decisions for immediate gains.

As the trade deadline approaches, the Maple Leafs face the daunting task of balancing present needs with future seasons of being competitive, a challenge that hinges on their assessment of the team’s readiness for a championship push this season.
More or less my assumption since Tre took over. This season and probably next are working seasons with a focus on the latter half of this era.

Tre has been looking to secure the blueline since day 1, as he stated in his first presser, but nothing good has come up, so he's grabbed what's available on one year deals as we work through rehab.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

Feels like we’ll dangle our 3rd-7th round picks, Niemela and Robertson and see what the best defenceman we get is.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Sounds like they're ready to throw in the towel.

There's not gonna be a knight in shining armour. Nobody's gonna be riding into Toronto on a white horse. There's no calvary coming to the rescue.

What you see is what you get.

Why go all in if the playoffs are random anyway? Do teams that go all in actually ever win the cup? Is that something that really happens?

Or do teams just build up their roster until they can compete every year and eventually win it all?

As a matter of organizational integrity they owe it to their fans to do whatever it takes to contend. Especially after giving those huge contracts to Matthews and Nylander. They might not win the cup but at least they can say they did their best to try.

Sure beats raising the white flag on yet another prime year of contention with quite possibly the best Leafs players to ever play the game.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Yeah, seems like Tre has a good handle on where this team is and doesn't want to throw the future away like the previous GM. Makes sense he signed a bunch of 1 year deals to get by as they try to restock the cupboards a bit. I'm glad he's taking this approach as there are so many holes left by the previous regime.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Knies challenging season? The heck? He’s had a slum recently but that’s normal for a rookie. Insinuating they’d considering moving him is silly.

horner

May 22, 2007
Yeah, seems like Tre has a good handle on where this team is and doesn't want to throw the future away like the previous GM. Makes sense he signed a bunch of 1 year deals to get by as they try to restock the cupboards a bit. I'm glad he's taking this approach as there are so many holes left by the previous regime.
Build the defence and bottom six for when JT's contract is up.

These young players will be he in the lineup in 1 or 2 yrs
Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin

A power forward in the making
Knies

we are finding out what we have in these players
Robertson Holmberg and McMann

Build a strong D

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

If I were an opposing team I would be really curious how much Treliving values Grebyonkin. I think you'd have a better chance to pry someone like him away than a NHL power forward or the most productive guy in the OHL.

To be clear I love Grebyonkin and would be sick if we dealt him, I'm just not sure if Brad feels the same way.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
If I were an opposing team I would be really curious how much Treliving values Grebyonkin. I think you'd have a better chance to pry someone like him away than a NHL power forward or the most productive guy in the OHL.

To be clear I love Grebyonkin and would be sick if we dealt him, I'm just not sure if Brad feels the same way.
Might be tough to deal for a guy when neither you nor your head scouts have been able to watch the player live, or meet him or his family for the past few years.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Why go all in if the playoffs are random anyway? Do teams that go all in actually ever win the cup? Is that something that really happens?

Or do teams just build up their roster until they can compete every year and eventually win it all?
It's the latter, but sometimes a deadline acquisition works out nicely, like Barbashov last year for Vegas. What the Leafs really need most is stable goaltending. If some combination of Woll and Samsonov can do that, the Leafs have as good a chance to come out of the East as any other team, even if only marginal changes are made to the blueline. If they don't get stable goaltending, then none of the other changes they might make would make any difference.

Reactions: uncleben

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's the latter, but sometimes a deadline acquisition works out nicely, like Barbashov last year for Vegas. What the Leafs really need most is stable goaltending. If some combination of Woll and Samsonov can do that, the Leafs have as good a chance to come out of the East as any other team, even if only marginal changes are made to the blueline. If they don't get stable goaltending, then none of the other changes they might make would make any difference.

Not much, but they did spend some, a 3rd., 5th., and 7th.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Not with Keefe behind the bench.

I see very little defensive structure under Keefe, something any serious team with aspirations for a long playoff run would need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad