Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you had a good young defender would you trade him for that?
You want Byram it's going to hurt

Think Knies plus Minten, that may make them listen but theres no way there doing it for McCabe and stuff imo

The thing is Byram is pretty average, I think if Byram was taken later in the draft, it's not as blasphemous to talk about the transaction.

McCabe has more points in same GP, more hits, more blocks, 5v5 possession metrics - McCabe gets tougher zone starts and had to play with Klingberg and is pretty much right there with CF% etc. Domi fills in middle 6C which is an actual need for them and they need another goalie.

McCabe is doing everything better this year, on a worse team and for cheaper the next 2 years.

I'd be doing the deal because definitely this year the Avalanche are more competitive than us and likely the year following too.

No way Byram pulls a young power forward like Knies with the durability question mark.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The thing is Byram is pretty average, I think if Byram was taken later in the draft, it's not as blasphemous to talk about the transaction.

McCabe has more points in same GP, more hits, more blocks, 5v5 possession metrics - McCabe gets tougher zone starts and had to play with Klingberg and is pretty much right there with CF% etc. Domi fills in middle 6C which is an actual need for them and they need another goalie.

McCabe is doing everything better this year, on a worse team and for cheaper the next 2 years.

I'd be doing the deal because definitely this year the Avalanche are more competitive than us and likely the year following too.

No way Byram pulls a young power forward like Knies with the durability question mark.

This is why I thought he would be appealing to the Avs. McCabe is right now the better player and much cheaper for this year and next.

How many 2 M defenders are available that do what McCabe does? He is perfect for a contender in cap crunch. I think he would also appeal to Vegas.

Reactions: arso40

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is why I thought he would be appealing to the Avs. McCabe is right now the better player and much cheaper for this year and next.

How many 2 M defenders are available that do what McCabe does? He is perfect for a contender in cap crunch. I think he would also appeal to Vegas.

We need to stop devaluing our own assets. McCabe would be appealing to most of the league.

The Korczak transaction is harder than I thought though, probably needs to involve Howden.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
We need to stop devaluing our own assets. McCabe would be appealing to most of the league.

The Korczak transaction is harder than I thought though, probably needs to involve Howden.

The problem with Vegas is that they need to send out decent sized contracts even if you retain on Bertuzzi. I think all their LTIR player will be back before the trade deadline.

Bertuzzi (2.75) for Carrier (1.4) + Korczak etc. But even that is difficult.

Edit: May need a 3rd team to retain a bit more on Bertuzzi.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The problem with Vegas is that they need to send out decent sized contracts even if you retain on Bertuzzi. I think all their LTIR player will be back before the trade deadline.

Bertuzzi (2.75) for Carrier (1.4) + Korczak etc. But even that is difficult.

Edit: May need a 3rd team to retain a bit more on Bertuzzi.

I was able to make it work with the logical demotions and Bertuzzi retained 50% + pick for Korczak and Howden.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
We should be looking to deal Kampf for an expiring #4 C that can win faceoffs and replace him defensively, or for picks that we can flip later.

Kampf hasnt been winning faceoffs, and that alone takes away from his defensive ability.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

McCabe would be appealing because of his cap hit more than because of his effectiveness. He's a decent veteran #4/5.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Hes also far far older to, zero chance something like that happens

Knies hasn't done ****, Robertson has better offensive numbers with less opportunity and half this board want him traded

This place is ridiculous, you aren't getting a good young D for scraps
The fact people think we can blows my mind

Knies hasn't done ****, Robertson has better offensive numbers with less opportunity and half this board want him traded

• Haha

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McCabe would be appealing because of his cap hit more than because of his effectiveness. He's a decent veteran #4/5.

Definitely a solid #4, he's played both sides, got saddled with Klingberg, we're not a great team and still his metrics are better than Byram

The other thing that Colorado may value in McCabe (plus all the other pieces to round out their roster) is availability. You can love Byram all you want but the guy is injury prone as hell.

Knies is on pace for 32 points, a pretty solid rookie campaign, considering he's getting damn near zero PP time.

Byram is on pace for 25 pts and hasn't played more than 42GP in a season until what I expect to be this year finally.

This place overvalues draft position and youth, sometimes things are exactly as they appear.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Why is McCabe being talked about like an over the hill, soon to regress player?

Guy just turned 30, is on a great contract and is playing 2LHD with a revolving door of RHD partners.

……. And we want to ship out our 2 top forward prospects, including our only PWF to short up our LHD?

Sorry, that makes my head hurt.

LHD is solid, especially if we can extend Benoit.

To improve our Defence, we need to improve on Brodie is the the one currently regressing, move on from Gio, and bring in n2 RHD, including a true RHD to allow Rielly to play his game.

That’s what you make trades for. Not even giving up those assets. Our best long term RHD possibilities looks to come from UFA.

We aren’t all in this year, and Treliving knows it. Improvement isn’t coming at the TDL where we blow our brains out like we have in years past.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Definitely a solid #4, he's played both sides, got saddled with Klingberg, we're not a great team and still his metrics are better than Byram

The other thing that Colorado may value in McCabe (plus all the other pieces to round out their roster) is availability. You can love Byram all you want but the guy is injury prone as hell.

Knies is on pace for 32 points, a pretty solid rookie campaign, considering he's getting damn near zero PP time.

Byram is on pace for 25 pts and hasn't played more than 42GP in a season until what I expect to be this year finally.

This place overvalues draft position and youth, sometimes things are exactly as they appear.
Robertson plays 10 minutes a night with no PP time and plays with Domi, not Matthews and Marner is around half a PPG and isn't that much older than Knies

So the defenseman is pacing for 7 less points than the top 6 forward? Doesn't look to bad put like that

Why is McCabe being talked about like an over the hill, soon to regress player?

Guy just turned 30, is on a great contract and is playing 2LHD with a revolving door of RHD partners.

……. And we want to ship out our 2 top forward prospects, including our only PWF to short up our LHD?

Sorry, that makes my head hurt.

LHD is solid, especially if we can extend Benoit.

To improve our Defence, we need to improve on Brodie is the the one currently regressing, move on from Gio, and bring in n2 RHD, including a true RHD to allow Rielly to play his game.

That’s what you make trades for. Not even giving up those assets. Our best long term RHD possibilities looks to come from UFA.

We aren’t all in this year, and Treliving knows it. Improvement isn’t coming at the TDL where we blow our brains out like we have in years past.
Nobody said McCabe Blow's but theres ño way in hell he's the main piece in a Byram trade, lets get a bit of realism here

We currently have Rielly and a bunch of #4-#5's we need at least a #2 and #3 and free agency isn't going to fix it, We've got to trade for at least one of them because UFA sucks and our core is in its prime now

Wasting another year just makes the core another year older and Tavares less effective again

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Byram had 24 pts in 42 games last year. Almost 50 pt pace with makar and toews ahead of him for Pzp chances

He has had a bit of a down year, but still has a lot of potential

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertson plays 10 minutes a night with no PP time and plays with Domi, not Matthews and Marner is around half a PPG and isn't that much older than Knies

So the defenseman is pacing for 7 less points than the top 6 forward? Doesn't look to bad put like that

Nobody said McCabe Blow's but theres ño way in hell he's the main piece in a Byram trade, lets get a bit of realism here

We currently have Rielly and a bunch of #4-#5's we need at least a #2 and #3 and free agency isn't going to fix it, We've got to trade for at least one of them because UFA sucks and our core is in its prime now

Wasting another year just makes the core another year older and Tavares less effective again

To be fair with Robertson, he's at least had some pro experience to date, Knies got a sample at the end of the year and this is his first season now.

I would say last year and early this year I was open to a trade because I wasn't sure on where he was at. This year he's been better...the only reason I actually think about trade and him now is because he and Keefe don't seem like a fit but I would rather move on from Keefe than Robertson.

I think you and I just land on different sides of the coin with McCabe/Byram and that's fine.

Byram had 24 pts in 42 games last year. Almost 50 pt pace with makar and toews ahead of him for Pzp chances

He has had a bit of a down year, but still has a lot of potential

He has potential for sure, I would say right now, McCabe is better but Byram could be better in only 1-2 years but again, Colorado is definitely about right now. If Byram gets injured before the playoffs or during, that sucks.

You could say that for any player but McCabe is likely going to be very reliable for them and either make life miserable alongside Manson for other teams or lockdown the 3rd pairing and carry it.

The odds of me nailing a trade are pretty low and Korczak is by far the bigger interest to me than Byram. McCabe plays the game the right way and I am certainly happy to have him on the roster.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
To be fair with Robertson, he's at least had some pro experience to date, Knies got a sample at the end of the year and this is his first season now.

I would say last year and early this year I was open to a trade because I wasn't sure on where he was at. This year he's been better...the only reason I actually think about trade and him now is because he and Keefe don't seem like a fit but I would rather move on from Keefe than Robertson.

I think you and I just land on different sides of the coin with McCabe/Byram and that's fine.

He has potential for sure, I would say right now, McCabe is better but Byram could be better in only 1-2 years but again, Colorado is definitely about right now. If Byram gets injured before the playoffs or during, that sucks.

You could say that for any player but McCabe is likely going to be very reliable for them and either make life miserable alongside Manson for other teams or lockdown the 3rd pairing and carry it.

The odds of me nailing a trade are pretty low and Korczak is by far the bigger interest to me than Byram. McCabe plays the game the right way and I am certainly happy to have him on the roster.
Meh, i don't want to trade Robertson or Knies and i cant say im that interested in trading McCabe or going after Byram either

I think we should keep Minten, Cowan, our 1st, all our young roster players and a couple of the other prospects to

That's why Fabbro is the guy I look at, maybe Peeke but guys Who may be cheap to acquire and could fill a hole so we're only short 1 guy next off-season

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
McCabe - He's for right now versus tomorrow, it will appeal to Colorado
Domi (50% retained) - They maybe scouted us the other night and reportedly want another centre
Jones - They're also reportedly after another goalie

for

Byam
4th 2025
5th 2026
Can't imagine the Avs would move Byram for that package.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Byram is a 22yo cup winning defenseman with all around true #1 Dman potential. On that front there's not much the Leafs have to match that kind of value.

The tricky part is the three concussions, so a return could vary quite a bit depending on the medical specifics, and risk appetite team to team.

It would be an interesting project to follow for the Leafs if they could make it happen but we might want to go down safer avenues with where we're at right now.

I don't see the logic of the Leafs trading McCabe. The team is looking to add to its D core, not rearrange it.

Gio and Brodie are the ones potentially on their way out (via UFA) more so than anyone under contract or rfa status
Yeah McCabe is valuable because we paid for him to be cheap, and we did that because thats what we need. That and he's a great player for us.

Reactions: Menzinger

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You’re definitely not getting Byram for McCabe and garbage. Knies would definitely be the ask to start a conversation.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't know why you guys are talking about a Byram add. He isn't going to help them this year and possibly next so that makes no sense for Shanny who is a dead man walking. If they were to make a big splash it wouldn't be for potential, the guy has to be there right now.

This seasons Ekholm add might be Adam Larsson. Early on I thought untouchable but he has a year and a half left on his deal and the Kraken are are 23rd over all. $4M AAV so they don't even need retention. He has what Tanev has but is younger and with a bit more offense. Now a 10 team NT and the Leafs could be on it as he may not like the spotlight. Plus would he have gone from McDavid to an expansion team if he needed a Cup ring. But what is they aren't on that list or he waives?

I don't know what a clubs top pairing RD would cost but the Leafs window is now. They might even be able to work Driedger into the mix and I like him as a 1a a lot more than Sammy. This could be a sea change addition.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We should be looking to deal Kampf for an expiring #4 C that can win faceoffs and replace him defensively, or for picks that we can flip later.

Kampf hasnt been winning faceoffs, and that alone takes away from his defensive ability.

Don't think we need to go and find more expiring contracts. There's too much turnover year to year on these mercenary level deals as it is.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton

I don't think Kampf is going anywhere so long as Keefe is around. Plus once Sheldon is done who will take on $2.4M for 3 more years? Ride out the deal for an overpaid 4c and hope his game picks up.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't think we need to go and find more expiring contracts. There's too much turnover year to year on these mercenary level deals as it is.
It'd arguably be a good idea in this case though because 2.4M x 3+ for a fourth liner isn't the best allocation of cap IMO. I can't see a team taking that bait though (and I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to offer the enticement required).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad