Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
What do you guys think it would take to acquire Parayko?

To Toronto: Colton Parayko
To St. Louis: 1st Round Draft Pick + Topi Niemela + Nick Robertson

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Giordano

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Reactions: Roo and Puckstuff

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

I saw some highlights of former Leaf Alexander Barabanov today. I decided to look up his stats and what he's done since being a Leaf. 102 points in 175 games is pretty good.

Traded to San Jose for Antii Suomela?????

Can anyone remember the circumstances around Barabanov?
If my memory serves we was pretty doodoo on the Leafs and Dubas traded him as a fresh start and a new opportunity. He's clearly used his increased ice time and role well, but I don't think we would have seen this on Toronto, but maybe I'm wrong.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Parayko... which stats are you looking at... he isn't a Pronger, but from what I've seen this year, he's really rebounded well, from a poor couple of years due to back problems... I think he could really benefit from a partner like Rielly... they'd compliment each other well.

I just looked at his up to date player card and Dom has him worth $1.3M right now. His profile honestly doesn't look much different than Benoits with how much his teams offense dies when he's on the ice.

So the nerds think he has one of the worst contracts in the league. On the trade board a Blues fan told me he has the biggest steal in the league. So there's a massive gap in perception here and he'd cost a lot of acquire given how they value him.

Now, before everyone jumps all over me, I do think it's possible he bounces back on a better team. But given the age, contract, acquisition cost, just way way too much risk for me to want to target him.

A guy like Adam Larsson would be way cheaper in both acquisition cost and contract and probably do what everyone thinks Parayko would provide aside from being a couple inches shorter.

Last edited:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If my memory serves we was pretty doodoo on the Leafs and Dubas traded him as a fresh start and a new opportunity. He's clearly used his increased ice time and role well, but I don't think we would have seen this on Toronto, but maybe I'm wrong.

I saw some highlights of former Leaf Alexander Barabanov today. I decided to look up his stats and what he's done since being a Leaf. 102 points in 175 games is pretty good.

Dangomon pretty much nailed it. The only thing I'd add is that it would seem part of the pitch Dubas used to get Euro guys to sign with the Leads was that if it didn't work in Toronto he'd move them so they could try somewhere else rather than waiving them or spending the season as a healthy scratch.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

He did not play much here and the team accordingly did not receive much in return via trade. Can argue that he's been receiving a greater opportunity playing for a lesser team, but can't really argue that he hasn't typically run with it.

horner

May 22, 2007
He did not play much here and the team accordingly did not receive much in return via trade. Can argue that he's been receiving a greater opportunity playing for a lesser team, but can't really argue that he hasn't typically run with it.
It was his first time in the NHL with us after playing in Europe.

Reactions: Buds17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pretty crazy to me that Comtois still doesn’t have an NHL deal. There’s gotta be some attitude issues or something.

I'm a Comtois fan. I've hoped he'd become a Leaf for some time.

He's got 25 points, in 29 games with the Chicago Wolves, and is a -3. He's 5th on the team in scoring... He's at 0.86 PPG.

Robertson, Steeves, Holmberg, Bellows and Tverberg all are producing at a higher rate....

For him to find his way back to the NHL, he's really got to show more than that. He's blessed with size, and natural ability, but that's about where it ends. He's got some work to do, to get back to the NHL.....

I just looked at his up to date player card and Dom has him worth $1.3M right now. His profile honestly doesn't look much different than Benoits with how much his teams offense dies when he's on the ice.

So the nerds think he has one of the worst contracts in the league. On the trade board a Blues fan told me he has the biggest steal in the league. So there's a massive gap in perception here and he'd cost a lot of acquire given how they value him.

Now, before everyone jumps all over me, I do think it's possible he bounces back on a better team. But given the age, contract, acquisition cost, just way way too much risk for me to want to target him.

A guy like Adam Larsson would be way cheaper in both acquisition cost and contract and probably do what everyone thinks Parayko would provide aside from being a couple inches shorter.

Thanks for all of this... I guess I'll go back to my previous thoughts, that he isn't the guy to get.

Reactions: arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I just saw Ruzicka is on waivers. That would be a good player to take a flyer on and Treliving knows him well. 6'4" 215lbs with some skill, he had 20 points in 44 NHL games last season. We're a bit bloated right now but there's a few ways to make room.

I'd be shocked if he makes it past a lot of the bad teams anyway.

Reactions: Skullz

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I just saw Ruzicka is on waivers. That would be a good player to take a flyer on and Treliving knows him well. 6'4" 215lbs with some skill, he had 20 points in 44 NHL games last season. We're a bit bloated right now but there's a few ways to make room.

I'd be shocked if he makes it past a lot of the bad teams anyway.
Kind of surprising they couldn't even get a late pick for him.

But I have heard/read that effort isn't always consistent with him, plus he's a big guy who isn't necessarily mean or physical.

Nonetheless, I'd put a claim in.

Reactions: horner

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Parayko wrong guy to target, Toronto needs to be looking at Hanafins/Chychruns who are younger and can move and get the puck to our forwards.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would only have mild interest in Parayko if he's basically free and with likely some sort of compensation. If there was heavy retention maybe the interest grows to make a good trade but I doubt they have interest in retaining for that long.

6.5M is a lot to take on a questionable defenseman that is soon to be 31 years old. And the Leafs don't really have a long-term dump of their own.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Parayko wrong guy to target, Toronto needs to be looking at Hanafins/Chychruns who are younger and can move and get the puck to our forwards.
While I agree on the age thing... a guy like "Parayko" isn't there to move the puck. We need a Larsson/Tanev to partner with Mo, more than we need a guy on the second pairing to move the puck. Putting a Hanifin/Chychrun with Mo, would be a disaster.

Plus Chychrun gets a third of his points on the PP... and he just wouldn't get that time here at all. He also hasn't looked very good defensively on Ottawa, not that he was incredible in Arizona either. He's just the wrong guy. Hanifin... cost quite a bit to obtain, and will want more than we can allocate to our second pairing D guy.....

The first priority should be getting Mo the right partner....

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
While I agree on the age thing... a guy like "Parayko" isn't there to move the puck. We need a Larsson/Tanev to partner with Mo, more than we need a guy on the second pairing to move the puck. Putting a Hanifin/Chychrun with Mo, would be a disaster.

Plus Chychrun gets a third of his points on the PP... and he just wouldn't get that time here at all. He also hasn't looked very good defensively on Ottawa, not that he was incredible in Arizona either. He's just the wrong guy. Hanifin... cost quite a bit to obtain, and will want more than we can allocate to our second pairing D guy.....

"but what if we trade all our good assets for another LHD that plays behind Mo, then trade like a 6th for a partner for Mo?!" - the entire era since we drafted Morgan Rielly.

Edit: thats not fair to Brodie when he first got here, he was a stud.

Reactions: Fogelhund

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

No needs that big physical dman who will stay at home and let him play his game
Lubushkin schenn all looked good with Mo.
we need bigger and meaner for the playoffs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Forsling would be target number one but way too many people sleep on Parayko.

Blues LD in the entire organization is bad and they're not a good team, he'd probably crush it here.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Florida can't get a deal done with forsling would a 1st + McCabe be a smart move on our end ?
I highly doubt Florida is a seller.... Forsling is a UFA signing, if Florida couldn't resign him... which they should. If you are talking about after the season is over, but before July 1st... I suppose that is an option, but of course that would depend on talking to him, and if Florida won't meet his demands, would we even be able to afford him?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
"but what if we trade all our good assets for another LHD that plays behind Mo, then trade like a 6th for a partner for Mo?!" - the entire era since we drafted Morgan Rielly.

Edit: thats not fair to Brodie when he first got here, he was a stud.
Here's the thing, we need a top 4 not just a partner for Mo
So if we can get another good LD we should do it
You don't stop improving just because it's bloody difficult to find a top pair RD

Reactions: notdoneyet

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Here's the thing, we need a top 4 not just a partner for Mo
So if we can get another good LD we should do it
You don't stop improving just because it's bloody difficult to find a top pair RD
I dont disagree but if you keep plugging the same hole with all your important materials while the other hole continues to leak, youre still getting water.

Its not a great analogy but if you can plug the major leak with your best material you can focus on your lesser leaks later with less quality material. As opposed to what we have IMO been doing, which is using the good material for the tiny cracks and realizing we ran out of materials when we get to the big hole in the wall.

Edit: this is a grammatical nightmare, there was like 60 unnecessary commas in there.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I highly doubt Florida is a seller.... Forsling is a UFA signing, if Florida couldn't resign him... which they should. If you are talking about after the season is over, but before July 1st... I suppose that is an option, but of course that would depend on talking to him, and if Florida won't meet his demands, would we even be able to afford him?
I think we could make the appropriate room to over pay him slightly. He'd be our second best defender by a wide margin.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep.

There was no preseason, proper camp due to covid. Coaches didn't have enough time to find a fit, and once the season started the focus shifted to winning games and he was the odd man out

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad