Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I would only have mild interest in Parayko if he's basically free and with likely some sort of compensation. If there was heavy retention maybe the interest grows to make a good trade but I doubt they have interest in retaining for that long.

6.5M is a lot to take on a questionable defenseman that is soon to be 31 years old. And the Leafs don't really have a long-term dump of their own.

6.5 is a lot, but questionable defensemen don’t lead the entire NHL in non-PP ice time.

Edit: That isn’t a fluke either. He was 6th in the NHL last year, and 2nd the year before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Morgan Rielly - Chris Tanev
Noah Hanifin - Timothy Liljegren
Simon Beniot -Jake McCabe
Yes, let's blow assets for a guy who's already said he's going to the Bruins in the offseason and isn't interested in signing with anybody else...

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
Time to shake up this core.
Marner 3 mil retained at the deadline what could we get of course he would have to be asked to what teams he wishes to go to .
Hope treliving has big balls.
Maybe it would wake up the rest.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Let's see the direct quote of that comment.
So you're going to ignore that RIGHT HERE, there was a Twitter post noting that Hanifin's agent was telling teams inquiring about him that he wasn't talking long term because he wants to go home to Boston?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So you're going to ignore that RIGHT HERE, there was a Twitter post noting that Hanifin's agent was telling teams inquiring about him that he wasn't talking long term because he wants to go home to Boston?
Players can just state where they're going a season prior and the team has to sign them?

Boston already has Lindholm/Lohrei long term for the left side, makes more sense for them to spend on a center.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Players can just state where they're going a season prior and the team has to sign them?

Boston already has Lindholm/Lohrei long term for the left side, makes more sense for them to spend on a center.
I didn't say Boston has to sign him, I'm saying he's tanking his own trade market intentionally because he wants to go to Boston next year... And I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a discount to do it, either. There's a reason since his agent started this the first team mentioned as a Hanifin destination is Boston.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I didn't say Boston has to sign him, I'm saying he's tanking his own trade market intentionally because he wants to go to Boston next year... And I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a discount to do it, either. There's a reason since his agent started this the first team mentioned as a Hanifin destination is Boston.

He wants to go be a #3 defenseman?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
6.5 is a lot, but questionable defensemen don’t lead the entire NHL in non-PP ice time.

Edit: That isn’t a fluke either. He was 6th in the NHL last year, and 2nd the year before.

He might play a decent amount, he's just not good in those minutes. It's the Ristolainen and Phaneuf effect.

There's a big reason he's been on the trading block for awhile and it isn't because he's too good. He's been struggling last 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He might play a decent amount, he's just not good in those minutes. It's the Ristolainen and Phaneuf effect.

There's a big reason he's been on the trading block for awhile and it isn't because he's too good. He's been struggling last 2-3 years.

He doesn't play a decent amount, he leads the league.... and on a team that has other options with Justin Faulk, Torey Krug, and Nick Leddy.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He doesn't play a decent amount, he leads the league.... and on a team that has other options with Justin Faulk, Torey Krug, and Nick Leddy.

Ok but that doesn't mean that he's good. The Blues are not really that good, and that's probably one of the reasons. Faulk, Leddy and Krug aren't exactly good either. If he played less, maybe he'd be better for it and that's one thing to definitely look at if you're looking at trading for him.

EDIT: And looking at Total EV right now, he's not leading the league, but he's also played less games.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ok but that doesn't mean that he's good. The Blues are not really that good, and that's probably one of the reasons. Faulk, Leddy and Krug aren't exactly good either. If he played less, maybe he'd be better for it and that's one thing to definitely look at if you're looking at trading for him.

Yes, he’s playing the role of a #1 stud right now, and that’s not what he is. He’s more of a #2, which is well worth 6.5 million.

Bring in any of those 3 to the Toronto roster - all of them would be our #2, right? Sure they aren’t elite, but they are all top 4 guys.

EDIT: And looking at Total EV right now, he's not leading the league, but he's also played less games.

I said non-PP, which is EV and PK combined.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We currently have a serious lack of Centers and defenseman on our roster and in our prospect pool

I'm wondering if we should be looking to not only grab underutilized depth guys but if we shouldn't also be trying to grab high draft picks that have struggled developing like Broberg and Glass from a few years back

I wonder if that's a cheap way of sorting out our problem areas

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I’m still a big fan of getting both tanev brothers
Recoup with Bertuzzi maybe but I’d be happy with that for this year. That’s it but I could sit for chris in summer no problem

horner

May 22, 2007
If Sammy keeps playing like this till the TDL and if woll comes back and looks really good

Would you trade him since we probably aren't signing him.

He would be the best goaltender in the market

Rerain 50% to get more teams involved

We would have Woll and Jones

With the way this team is constructed we aren't doing anything in the playoffs unless our goaltenders stands on his head.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
If Sammy keeps playing like this till the TDL and if woll comes back and looks really good

With the way this team is constructed we aren't doing anything in the playoffs unless our goaltenders stands on his head.
Tre got Jones cause he figured we're probably going to need three, which we did, so he may be wanting the same thing going down the stretch for the same reasons.

Sammy doesn't get much back with his numbers this year so the benefit is mostly cap space. Since we're being cautious this tdl he probably stays unless there is a rare opportunity for a homerun defenseman that requires 7M in cap.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Tre got Jones cause he figured we're probably going to need three, which we did, so he may be wanting the same thing going down the stretch for the same reasons.

Sammy doesn't get much back with his numbers this year so the benefit is mostly cap space. Since we're being cautious this tdl he probably stays unless there is a rare opportunity for a homerun defenseman that requires 7M in cap.
We can’t carry the three of them n jones won’t make it thru waiver wire gotta figure that out If you can recoup assets and pk up a useful youthful d you have to explore that option

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We can’t carry the three of them n jones won’t make it thru waiver wire gotta figure that out If you can recoup assets and pk up a useful youthful d you have to explore that option
I think Jones would clear waivers.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

The door partially reopened for Samsonov IMO due to Jones beginning to stumble/becoming overworked. The team will need to have at least two goalies on their game at any one time in order to succeed in a meaningful way (playoffs). That should mean more than whatever return Samsonov might be able to fetch in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad