Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

As the NHL Trade Deadline approaches on March 8, the Toronto Maple Leafs are reportedly attracting attention. During the recent game at Scotiabank Arena, numerous scouts from various NHL teams were observed in the press box, indicating a heightened interest in the Maple Leafs. It’s certainly possible scouts were there to watch the Jets as much as they were the Leafs, and as per one insider, since the Leafs don’t have much cooking, the scouting sessions might be all for naught.

David Pagnotta reported the presence of scouts from the Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators, and New Jersey Devils. This gathering of scouting representatives from multiple teams suggests an active and dynamic trade landscape surrounding the Maple Leafs and Jets.

But, Pagnotta said in an interview on Leaf’s Morning Take, there’s not much sense the Leafs are actively looking to make a deal.

Since taking on the role of general manager, Brad Treliving has been meticulous in his approach, avoiding hasty decisions and preferring a comprehensive assessment of the team’s current status. Despite the increased scouting activity, it appears Treliving is cautious about making significant moves right away. He recognizes cost to acquire the big names on the market, that the Leafs might be more than one piece away from contending, and that he doesn’t have a ton of draft capital to dangle.

The Maple Leafs Might Not Be Big Buyers

According to reports, Treliving has been actively exploring options, reaching out to other teams and making inquiries about potential deals. But, that’s not new territory for him. He’s largely considered one of the most active GMs in that regard. The prevailing sentiment within the Maple Leafs organization suggests a measured approach.

The team is not displaying an eagerness to make immediate moves, and there is a reluctance to part with crucial assets that might be required to acquire players of high caliber, such as Chris Tanev.

As the trade deadline looms, the Maple Leafs’ strategy remains calculated and deliberate, reflecting Treliving’s commitment to think more about the long-term success of the team than pushing all in now and possibly regretting doing so. Teams can check out the Leafs and scout the team, but until Treliving feels comfortable that his team is either a definite buyer or seller, there might be little fire where’s there’s smoke.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I wouldn’t mind having another butcher out there to play with Benny. Then have McCabe who is a bit of a junkyard dog. Then three puck mover capable guys in Rielly, Liljegren and the Incoming Saviour. Incoming Saviour is going to be your long body, do it all workhorse.
I’m sure Will Butcher is available for pretty cheap!
Well, shucks, we missed out!

Last edited:

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton

As the NHL Trade Deadline approaches on March 8, the Toronto Maple Leafs are reportedly attracting attention. During the recent game at Scotiabank Arena, numerous scouts from various NHL teams were observed in the press box, indicating a heightened interest in the Maple Leafs. It’s certainly possible scouts were there to watch the Jets as much as they were the Leafs, and as per one insider, since the Leafs don’t have much cooking, the scouting sessions might be all for naught.

David Pagnotta reported the presence of scouts from the Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators, and New Jersey Devils. This gathering of scouting representatives from multiple teams suggests an active and dynamic trade landscape surrounding the Maple Leafs and Jets.

But, Pagnotta said in an interview on Leaf’s Morning Take, there’s not much sense the Leafs are actively looking to make a deal.

Since taking on the role of general manager, Brad Treliving has been meticulous in his approach, avoiding hasty decisions and preferring a comprehensive assessment of the team’s current status. Despite the increased scouting activity, it appears Treliving is cautious about making significant moves right away. He recognizes cost to acquire the big names on the market, that the Leafs might be more than one piece away from contending, and that he doesn’t have a ton of draft capital to dangle.

The Maple Leafs Might Not Be Big Buyers

According to reports, Treliving has been actively exploring options, reaching out to other teams and making inquiries about potential deals. But, that’s not new territory for him. He’s largely considered one of the most active GMs in that regard. The prevailing sentiment within the Maple Leafs organization suggests a measured approach.

The team is not displaying an eagerness to make immediate moves, and there is a reluctance to part with crucial assets that might be required to acquire players of high caliber, such as Chris Tanev.

As the trade deadline looms, the Maple Leafs’ strategy remains calculated and deliberate, reflecting Treliving’s commitment to think more about the long-term success of the team than pushing all in now and possibly regretting doing so. Teams can check out the Leafs and scout the team, but until Treliving feels comfortable that his team is either a definite buyer or seller, there might be little fire where’s there’s smoke.
I dont think there is any possibilty the Leafs are sellers. Resigning Willie to that horrendous deal does not suggest they have any patience or that they think they aren't in the hunt. Tre is a buyer but the player he wants isn't there yet. Since they are committed to giving f***ing no moves to every good player they have, there isn't any way small exports make it worth bowing out for a year.

A first and your favorite prospect and a Marlie. Just need the surprise RD's name.

horner

May 22, 2007
I dont think there is any possibilty the Leafs are sellers. Resigning Willie to that horrendous deal does not suggest they have any patience or that they think they aren't in the hunt. Tre is a buyer but the player he wants isn't there yet. Since they are committed to giving f***ing no moves to every good player they have, there isn't any way small exports make it worth bowing out for a year.

A first and your favorite prospect and a Marlie. Just need the surprise RD's name.
Then he's as dumb as dubas was .

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

That seems to go against what everyone is saying.

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007

A first and your favorite prospect and a Marlie. Just need the surprise RD's name.barn
TBay is heating up again Florida and Boston are built for the playoffs.
The first 2 games will be in there barn wt good right now hope the break does him good .
e would need 2 dman and a forward
JT isnoo good right now

We won't beat those teams

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I would consider poking around on Provorov. He already comes with 2 million retained on his deal, so if CBJ would retain another 2, we could get him for around 2.7 million for another two years.

I admit I have not been watching him closely though, and he might have fallen from grace. But given his cap hit, and his likely low cost to acquire with CBJ looking at a firesale, might be worth a shot.

• Love
Reactions: Dragao6

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dreger reporting that Provorov is on the trading block again .
I don't know how Jarmo still has a job. Mistake after mistake. They've drafted well I guess but that ain't too hard with a lot of high picks.

Provorov is a no go in Toronto and a LHD. Severson and Peeke are 2 defenders that I would heavily call about. Severson is very unlikely but Peeke fits a bit more the cap and likely the style they want. Either way, the Leafs and Jackets likely make good trading partners.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
His re-up is going to be dear.
He's 6.75mm.
Age appropriate though.
Falls into a period where Marner & Tavares come off the cap so wouldn't be an issue.

Would this organization consider a player who was involved in the pride night withdrawals? Not trying to open that can of worms, but it's worth mentioning.

Brodie, Timmins for Provorov, Peeke?

The + from the Leafs would need to be pretty big. Maybe Robertson , Hirvonen + 1st

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't know how Jarmo still has a job. Mistake after mistake. They've drafted well I guess but that ain't too hard with a lot of high picks.

Provorov is a no go in Toronto and a LHD. Severson and Peeke are 2 defenders that I would heavily call about. Severson is very unlikely but Peeke fits a bit more the cap and likely the style they want. Either way, the Leafs and Jackets likely make good trading partners.
Provorov would be a really good addition, even with no extra retention. Not exactly what we need given he’s a lefty but he’s someone who can play in every situation and adds a little sandpaper on the blueline.

The only reason I’d say there’s no chance we trade for Provorov is his public stance on LGBTQ especially in a place like Toronto. Don’t see higher management agreeing to acquire him.

Reactions: CuuuJooo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Falls into a period where Marner & Tavares come off the cap so wouldn't be an issue.

Would this organization consider a player who was involved in the pride night withdrawals? Not trying to open that can of worms, but it's worth mentioning.

Brodie, Timmins for Provorov, Peeke?

The + from the Leafs would need to be pretty big. Maybe Robertson , Hirvonen + 1st
I'd be surprised if the Leafs have any interest in moving Brodie and it's doubtful Columbus(if they aren't on his NT list) would want him.

Reactions: ULF_55

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I'd be surprised if the Leafs have any interest in moving Brodie and it's doubtful Columbus(if they aren't on his NT list) would want him.
One stop shop, get Provorov and Peeke and your 6 Defenceman are completed.

Reilly Peeke
Provorov Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I'm as big a Peeke supporter as there is in this forum, but to anoint him on your top pair... that's setting up for disappointment.
My thinking is that we all thought the same when Hainsey was there, when Lybushkin was there and when Schenn was there but somehow it really worked and seems to be a comfort for Reilly.

Reactions: notdoneyet

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One stop shop, get Provorov and Peeke and your 6 Defenceman are completed.

Reilly Peeke
Provorov Liljegren
Benoit McCabe
The Leafs by all appearances view Brodie just behind Reilly on their depth chart and it still doesn't explain why Columbus would want Brodie.

That doesn't look like a defense that will take you very far come playoff time.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The Leafs by all appearances view Brodie just behind Reilly on their depth chart and it still doesn't explain why Columbus would want Brodie.

That doesn't look like a defense that will take you very far come playoff time.
Brodie doesn't need to be a part of this deal although Columbus could easily flip him at the TDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad