Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The the best plan is to try to upgrade your team for prices that make sense at any juncture possible. The first one is now leading up to the TDL.
Agreed, but you guys haven't listen to BT talk and say the summer is where you do all your trades that build your team, not mid season. All I am saying is it's wishful thinking he's going to make a hockey trade now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed, but you guys haven't listen to BT talk and say the summer is where you do all your trades that build your team, not mid season. All I am saying is it's wishful thinking he's going to make a hockey trade now.
Here's his trade history. Seems like he makes trades at all times of the year.

Reactions: Sypher04

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Rielly - Peeke
Provorov - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

I’d be fine with that group. Definitely an upgrade on what we currently have and brings our age on the blueline a lot lower which is nice.
I really wouldnt run Peeke on the top line, he's not good enough to handle the other teams top players
Rielly - McCabe
Provorov - Peeke
Benoit - Liljegren

the only reason I'd play Peeke on the 2nd line is to help Benoit in getting out of the defensive zone.
this way there is a puck mover and a dedicated defender on every pairing.

for PK , we run the bottom 2 pairings, and leave Reilly-McCabe off the PK.
if we need offense we flip Peeke and Lil for 5 on 5

this would be a dream acquisition though.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I really wouldnt run Peeke on the top line, he's not good enough to handle the other teams top players
Rielly - McCabe
Provorov - Peeke
Benoit - Liljegren

the only reason I'd play Peeke on the 2nd line is to help Benoit in getting out of the defensive zone.
this way there is a puck mover and a dedicated defender on every pairing.

for PK , we run the bottom 2 pairings, and leave Reilly-McCabe off the PK.
if we need offense we flip Peeke and Lil for 5 on 5

this would be a dream acquisition though.
I’ve mentioned giving McCabe a look on the right side next to Rielly for quite some time, even back when I was pushing for us to acquire McCabe it was with the intentions of playing him next to Rielly. Obviously our coach hasn’t even tried to see if it’s even a fit.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
For the difference in cost/ability between Provorov and McCabe, I probably wouldn't bother. Forsling? Yes, McCabe is moving to RD probably.

It's crazy how few options league wide there are at RD though. You could probably acquire Parayko or Weegar out of their respective teams. Tanev would be nice for a year but a truly top end guy? It's difficult to find.

As much as people dump on Parayko and Weegar though, they would add credibility to the blueline.

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Tanev (or swap the RD)
Benoit-Liljegren

Next year that is not shabby.
One of those two would be fine to push Brodie down a spot. I don't think Parayko is in the cards. Too much money and term for a guy that has to bounce back, in relation to the assets they would expect. Weegar is really flourishing right now but he is 36 at the end of his deal too. Spend more and go younger so they arent saddling the next management team with more cap issues. Or just go band-aid with Tanev.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I’ve mentioned giving McCabe a look on the right side next to Rielly for quite some time, even back when I was pushing for us to acquire McCabe it was with the intentions of playing him next to Rielly. Obviously our coach hasn’t even tried to see if it’s even a fit.
He'd be good then on one condition ...he wouldnt be allowed to pinch.
McCabe's problems start when he tries to play offensively, he'd need to be the 'safe' guy on that pairing.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is there a reason Flames would trade him?

He fits in with their rebuild, and he doesn't have a Nurse type of deal.
There has been no hint that he's on the block... no rumours, and no real reasons. The only reason that you can come up with, is he's 30, and they decide to re-allocate cap to extend Hanifin and Lindholm if they are willing... it's a pretty thin thread.

Reactions: LeafSteel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One of those two would be fine to push Brodie down a spot. I don't think Parayko is in the cards. Too much money and term for a guy that has to bounce back, in relation to the assets they would expect. Weegar is really flourishing right now but he is 36 at the end of his deal too. Spend more and go younger so they arent saddling the next management team with more cap issues. Or just go band-aid with Tanev.

I meant more for the off-season/next year with those types of move.

Tanev is a given it feels like, unless Vancouver keeps him around.

Weegar/Parayko

So I have actually seen Calgary a bit more than St.Louis this year but I actually find Weegar's problems just stem from being a right shot on the left side, I know he went there initially in Florida to help Ekblad and it worked but I would get him back to RD. He does a bit of everything well.

As the cap rises, the cap hit is less of an issue and 36 years old isn't that old, I would be open to him.

Parayko - Hard minutes, mediocre team and LD on St.Louis SUCKS. He looks more mobile than he has in the last few years, rangy and yea, I think just the way he plays would compliment Rielly quite well.

Weegar/Parayko would basically come down to the cost to acquire and adding Tanev would really solidify things to me.

Reactions: andora

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario

Should the Leafs ask about Jake Guentzel? Does Dubas hang up right away or does he oblige and gets the most for his winger from Toronto given how well he knows our system? One of our left wingers not named Knies would have to go the other way and some high picks/prospects.

It would be a huge upgrade on the 6 goals Bertuzzi is giving us and Guentzel could reinvigorate Tavares or form a super line with Mitch and Auston. Is it possible?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Should the Leafs ask about Jake Guentzel? Does Dubas hang up right away or does he oblige and gets the most for his winger from Toronto given how well he knows our system? One of our left wingers not named Knies would have to go the other way and some high picks/prospects.

It would be a huge upgrade on the 6 goals Bertuzzi is giving us and Guentzel could reinvigorate Tavares or form a super line with Mitch and Auston. Is it possible?

We don't have the ponies for that show IMO. Even if Dubas loves one or two of his draft picks. Should not be trading Knies. Should not be trading Robertson (IMO). Would we be comfortable with Knies + Liljegren + a draft pick? I'm not sold on this team at all to be doing that, and I think both players goign the other way may be much more important to this team in coming years than Guentzel would be this year.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We don't have the ponies for that show IMO. Even if Dubas loves one or two of his draft picks. Should not be trading Knies. Should not be trading Robertson (IMO). Would we be comfortable with Knies + Liljegren + a draft pick? I'm not sold on this team at all to be doing that, and I think both players goign the other way may be much more important to this team in coming years than Guentzel would be this year.

Yea, I have pivoted on Robertson.

I really need to see him with a new coach.

Reactions: ACC1224

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Thing with Provorov, he’s signed for next season, with LA paying 2 mil of his cap hit, so he’d only cost us 2.5, our crunch year. You’re not going to find many top 4’s with that number. We need another defensive D man, he could work well if we get that too, because we do produce nothing from the backend and Timmins isn’t an answer, that I fell certain of, especially playoffs. Worth a look.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Is there a reason Flames would trade him?

He fits in with their rebuild, and he doesn't have a Nurse type of deal.
Nope.

Very sure that ship sailed, but a real missed opportunity considering th 2 pieces rumored in the deal, among others, were rumored to be Dermott and Johnsson.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Perhaps most importantly, Guentzel is a proven playoff performer, recording 58 points in 58 games. He is one of 37 players in league history to appear in at least 50 postseason games and average a point or more. (For context, 1,264 players have played at least 50 playoff games.)
On top of this he has the 8th most Even Strength goals over the last 8 seasons and is great on the forecheck and keeping possession. He would look amazing beside Tavares and Nylander on the 2nd line and only comes in at a $6mil caphit.

If we have to pony up Robertson and a good prospect I would be all over it the question is would Dubas even do business with Treliving?

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
On top of this he has the 8th most Even Strength goals over the last 8 seasons and is great on the forecheck and keeping possession. He would look amazing beside Tavares and Nylander on the 2nd line and only comes in at a $6mil caphit.

If we have to pony up Robertson and a good prospect I would be all over it the question is would Dubas even do business with Treliving?

We have limited assets and our defense is a smoking hole, shooting our load on another forward would be criminal in our current situation

This is like buying a new set of tyres for your car when it doesn't have an engine and you can only afford to do one thing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Absolutely not for me, especially if he does not resign.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think he'd be both great to add and tough to re-sign (which is why I probably would prefer to not proceed down that path).

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What is our center position going to look like moving forward?
I think almost everyone will concede that Tavares is starting to really decline.
After him, we have possibly Domi, Kampf, Holmberg and Minten.
Yes our defence is a spot we need to improve but our center position is not looking too great.

We need to acquire a good #2C or #3C at some point.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

He might have said that, but that doesn’t meant he does nothing in season. He’s done plenty of in season trades even if his biggest ones tend to be June/july

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I like Guentzel, but too expensive to acquire, when those assets if anything should be used on a D man. And likely is too expensive to comfortably extend
Yeah imagine having a 5th forward making 10 mil plus. That wouldn't work. Guentzel would have to strictly be a rental. He is that consistent offensive threat on the left side we need that gets it done in the playoffs. It's a shame Tavares' caphit is handcuffing us because our offseason acquisitions have not been up to snuff and a big trade before the deadline could make a difference in the playoffs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We have too many holes to fill at TDL.

Our team is just not a good team.
Starts with Keefe not utilizing the players like spread the big 4 on 3 lines to try to spread the scoring.
Or Keefe not having structure with team defense.
Then players need to buy in, play hard and be accountable. Look at McD and Drai, they are back checking hard and making it difficult for the other teams. How many teams do we see our top guys just gave up on plays or gave a half a*s efforts.
Our top guys need to be better and carry the team on their shoulders like Sammy or Jones or Woll when the team just sucks.
Our defense needs to just keep it simple instead of overthinking zone exit all the time.
Forwards need to win more board battles and lay their bodies for the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This one seems viable.

I went pretty high end on D IMO, whether it's Tanev or DeMelo that ends up at 3rd pairing RD, they are in a position to win those minutes.

DeMelo has 3 years as well and Tanev would only be a 1 year commitment, kind of hoping that Niemela is at least breaking in at 3rd pair the year after next.

2nd line is still frustrating but eventually money becomes a problem.

1706309234333.png

1706309280802.png

1706309293848.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad