Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The Leafs by all appearances view Brodie just behind Reilly on their depth chart and it still doesn't explain why Columbus would want Brodie.

That doesn't look like a defense that will take you very far come playoff time.
Cause it wont

If they are goimg to try and do anythimg this year they need the mindset of benoit liljegren is your third pairing for the playoffs

That is a fair barometer of what is needed for the defence to have a punchers chance.. how? NFC

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Brodie doesn't need to be a part of this deal although Columbus could easily flip him at the TDL.
If his NTC allows for it sure. I would imagine they would prefer not to obtain a player just for the sake of moving him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My thinking is that we all thought the same when Hainsey was there, when Lybushkin was there and when Schenn was there but somehow it really worked and seems to be a comfort for Reilly.

I get the line of thinking, and Peeke has more mobility than any of those three.... I don't mind picking him up.. but I think it's try and get him on the cheap type of thing alone.

I'm also not sure of Provorov. He seems to be one of those guys who's reputation far exceeds his ability, and I've never figured out why. I guess because he hits some, and has put up points, while being an adventure defensively. I just don't think we need to acquire more adventures in our own zone.

1706287970478.png

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Cause it wont

If they are goimg to try and do anythimg this year they need the mindset of benoit liljegren is your third pairing for the playoffs

That is a fair barometer of what is needed for the defence to have a punchers chance.. how? NFC
Personally I think they go into the playoffs with

Reilly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Timmins/Giordano

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I get the line of thinking, and Peeke has more mobility than any of those three.... I don't mind picking him up.. but I think it's try and get him on the cheap type of thing alone.

I'm also not sure of Provorov. He seems to be one of those guys who's reputation far exceeds his ability, and I've never figured out why. I guess because he hits some, and has put up points, while being an adventure defensively. I just don't think we need to acquire more adventures in our own zone.

View attachment 810820
How much is the columbus affect? 20% hehe

Gavrikov gets out and looks great

Reilly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Timmins/Giordano
Oh probably.. and yawn

Mind you i am in the 'not the year' crowd

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That was stats from when he played in Philly.... he's been worse in Columbus....
Oh.. im curious then the difference

I didnt look at the card in honesty - i think provorov is a true system defenceman. Structure in the dzone and puck support he needs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Reilly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Timmins/Giordano
I feel as though they'd have to add a defenceman of some quality if they're going to be a playoff team. Don't know if they could or should swing for a top four calibre player though (which is a situation that should obviously be addressed prior to the start of next season).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
How much is the columbus affect? 20% hehe

Gavrikov gets out and looks great

Oh probably.. and yawn

Mind you i am in the 'not the year' crowd
Me as well and I believe the GM is too.

I feel as though they'd have to add a defenceman of some quality if they're going to be a playoff team. Don't know if they could or should swing for a top four calibre player though (which is a situation that should obviously be addressed prior to the start of next season).
Yeah it could happen but I think if it does it's more with an eye to next season.

Reactions: andora and Buds17

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Brodie doesn't need to be a part of this deal although Columbus could easily flip him at the TDL.
That was my justification - having Columbus use Brodie as filler and then flip him. Didn't consider his NTC, which he likely rejects any trade.

Maybe an offseason target when Brodie walks as FA.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Me as well and I believe the GM is too.

Yeah it could happen but I think if it does it's more with an eye to next season.
Shanny's last year under contract is 24-25. I think he has to be running on fumes career wise. Do you really think he would let the GM take his foot off the gas to roll it all on one final playoff run? Running it back means you believe you have built a winner. I think they would need to collapse for things to change. Florida made it to the final from 16th place so they are never really out of it right?
That seems to go against what everyone is saying.
Who's everyone? Not that it doesn't make some sense but I think that assumes Tre has actual autonomy which I don't think he will get so long as BS is President.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Shanny's last year under contract is 24-25. I think he has to be running on fumes career wise. Do you really think he would let the GM take his foot off the gas to roll it all on one final playoff run? Running it back means you believe you have built a winner. I think they would need to collapse for things to change. Florida made it to the final from 16th place so they are never really out of it right?

Who's everyone? Not that it doesn't make some sense but I think that assumes Tre has actual autonomy which I don't think he will get so long as BS is President.
Yes I don't think they see this as a season to go all in.
They may make some tweaks but they won't sacrifice the future, IMO

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Rielly - Peeke
Provorov - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

I’d be fine with that group. Definitely an upgrade on what we currently have and brings our age on the blueline a lot lower which is nice.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I know some of you have given up on the year already and I understand that sentiment to some extent, I really do, but if Tre actually doesn’t do anything that’s still a big mistake.

This is absolutely “not the year” to buy rentals. But find a way to upgrade this team with pieces you can both retain building forward and that also help you now. Actively choosing to waste a year is unacceptable (especially when two of our best players go up by like $6M in the offseason)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I know some of you have given up on the year already and I understand the sentiment some extent, I really do, but if Tre actually doesn’t do anything that’s still a big mistake.

This is absolutely “not the year” to buy rentals. But find a way to upgrade this team with pieces you can both retain building forward and that also help you now. Actively choosing to waste a year is unacceptable.

I would agree, assuming that there are deals out there to be made, that get us to where we want to be going... that have an acceptable cost. We aren't privy to such things... so the cost to acquire a Tanev might be such that we are choosing not to do it... I mean, if Calgary is asking for a 1st and Knies, and won't budge... it's probably wise to not do it.

I think you have to always be open to making a move, if it helps the team... and be willing to stand pat, if no options help the team.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would agree, assuming that there are deals out there to be made, that get us to where we want to be going... that have an acceptable cost. We aren't privy to such things... so the cost to acquire a Tanev might be such that we are choosing not to do it... I mean, if Calgary is asking for a 1st and Knies, and won't budge... it's probably wise to not do it.

I think you have to always be open to making a move, if it helps the team... and be willing to stand pat, if no options help the team.

Yeah, obviously this is all dependent on guys being available in the trade market that makes sense, but how often is that really not the case at the deadline? Don’t do something stupid obviously for the sake of making moves, but going into the trade market already with both feet out makes no sense.

1 top 4 D and a good bottom of the line up two way forward who can PK would help us immensily

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, obviously this is all dependent on guys being available in the trade market that makes sense, but how often is that really not the case at the deadline? Don’t do something stupid obviously for the sake of making moves.

1 top 4 D and a good bottom of the line up two way forward who can PK would help us immensily

Deadline is often a terrible time to do business though... it's like signing someone on July 1st, you always overpay. The time to do a deal, is the months before the deadline if you can, or after the playoffs....
Best plan is to ride out this season without making any trades and then see what happens in the summer.
The best plan, is to make a trade that helps the team long-term, no matter when that trade is available. IF it's today, do it... if that's the deadline, do it... if that's the off season, do it.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Best plan is to ride out this season without making any trades and then see what happens in the summer.

The the best plan is to try to upgrade your team for prices that make sense at any juncture possible. The first one is now leading up to the TDL.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Deadline is often a terrible time to do business though... it's like signing someone on July 1st, you always overpay. The time to do a deal, is the months before the deadline if you can, or after the playoffs....

The best plan, is to make a trade that helps the team long-term, no matter when that trade is available. IF it's today, do it... if that's the deadline, do it... if that's the off season, do it.

We definitely do see a lot of overpayment at the TDL and I fully agree getting ahead of the deadline helps and I would definitely advocate for being the early bird for many reasons, but what I would say is there are tiers to every TDL and we’ll see a lot of guys move around at reasonable prices behind the bigger names. We need to be fishing around in that group.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

View attachment 810820

For the difference in cost/ability between Provorov and McCabe, I probably wouldn't bother. Forsling? Yes, McCabe is moving to RD probably.

It's crazy how few options league wide there are at RD though. You could probably acquire Parayko or Weegar out of their respective teams. Tanev would be nice for a year but a truly top end guy? It's difficult to find.

As much as people dump on Parayko and Weegar though, they would add credibility to the blueline.

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Tanev (or swap the RD)
Benoit-Liljegren

Next year that is not shabby.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't know how Jarmo still has a job. Mistake after mistake. They've drafted well I guess but that ain't too hard with a lot of high picks.

Provorov is a no go in Toronto and a LHD. Severson and Peeke are 2 defenders that I would heavily call about. Severson is very unlikely but Peeke fits a bit more the cap and likely the style they want. Either way, the Leafs and Jackets likely make good trading partners.
Peeke you get now as he stands to be cheap to get, and can 2RHD battle with Liljegren. You fill 1RHD from the RHD UFA’s this summer. You let Brodie walk for nothing.

Provorov you only get if you like him more than McCabe at 2LHD. For the difference in cap hit and what he brings, I like McCabe more.

3LHD needs to go to Benoit, with 4LHD going Lagesson, especially after Gio retires.

Provorov is an unnecessary loss of assets in trade and takes cap space away from other, more glaring holes, starting with 1RHD, and forwards.

For the difference in cost/ability between Provorov and McCabe, I probably wouldn't bother. Forsling? Yes, McCabe is moving to RD probably.

It's crazy how few options league wide there are at RD though. You could probably acquire Parayko or Weegar out of their respective teams. Tanev would be nice for a year but a truly top end guy? It's difficult to find.

As much as people dump on Parayko and Weegar though, they would add credibility to the blueline.

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Tanev (or swap the RD)
Benoit-Liljegren

Next year that is not shabby.
I’ve been Team Weegar since Dubas had a chance to get him and, well, you know….. he Dubas’d it…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad