Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They better go all in this year.

If they don't the fans should be howling for the heads to start rolling. Just a few short months ago we were told this team was a contender. Backpedalling now would prove they grossly mis-evaluated the roster.

"Oh, but trading futures to win now is how you build a long term loser" you say.

My response to that is to simply point out the fact that they already are long term losers. They've won a single playoffs round in eighteen years. If that's what keeping your picks and prospects gets you then I can understand why teams are so willing to trade them every year.

They're trading a long shot for a long shot.

Like trading ten years of lottery tickets with a 40% chance of a $2M payout for two years of lottery tickets with a 20% chance of a $20M payout. It all depends on your risk tolerance. And whether you want to win the big prize.

Or be satisfied with respect in the handshake lineup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I still would not be surprised if they dump Samsonov if there's a deal that comes up and they need cap space. But we'll see how things shape up over the next 2-3 weeks. Carrying 3 goalies in season is no bueno.
That really would depend on them either getting a replacement that they have more confidence in, or deciding that they weren't going anywhere, and dumping players for futures.

If they don't the fans should be howling for the heads to start rolling. Just a few short months ago we were told this team was a contender. Backpedalling now would prove they grossly mis-evaluated the roster.
Really, there is nothing wrong with backpedalling at all, if they feel that this group isn't good enough, even if they do add? Why give up a Cowan, Minten, Robertson etc... for a rental piece? A few changes and they likely are contenders, so perhaps a one season retool is the best choice.

There is no need to go all in this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That really would depend on them either getting a replacement that they have more confidence in, or deciding that they weren't going anywhere, and dumping players for futures.

It wouldn't be overly hard to get a 3rd stringer that can be fully buriable. Woll is the #1, Jones has shown to be a capable backup, I dunno why they need Samsonov at his price tag, especially if they are able to find an upgrade somewhere in the lineup and cap space is needed.

Keeping Jones in the pressbox is whatever, but I wouldn't expect him to be fresh if he doesn't play for weeks on end. But in the next 2-3 weeks maybe Samsonov goes on a heater and keeps the #1 job for awhile, so we'll see.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It wouldn't be overly hard to get a 3rd stringer that can be fully buriable. Woll is the #1, Jones has shown to be a capable backup, I dunno why they need Samsonov at his price tag, especially if they are able to find an upgrade somewhere in the lineup and cap space is needed.

Keeping Jones in the pressbox is whatever, but I wouldn't expect him to be fresh if he doesn't play for weeks on end. But in the next 2-3 weeks maybe Samsonov goes on a heater, so we'll see.
Woll hasn't played for months... after being injured, after a career of being often injured.... I love Woll and thinks he has what it takes, but I don't think it's good to bet the team's year completely on his health...

That being said, we'll have to wait until he comes back, and see what he has. Moving Samsonov for cap reasons, also suggests that we are going all in... which I also don't personally see right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Woll hasn't played for months... after being injured, after a career of being often injured.... I love Woll and thinks he has what it takes, but I don't think it's good to bet the team's year completely on his health...

That being said, we'll have to wait until he comes back, and see what he has. Moving Samsonov for cap reasons, also suggests that we are going all in... which I also don't personally see right now.

Just hypothetically speaking and as an example without any sort of basis, if say the Leafs want to acquire Parayko, they would need cap space and maybe the Blues would take on Samsonov (among other assets) for the season to make it work. Blues also have Malcom Subban in the AHL, who would could be a target for a 3rd stringer job here. I don't know if this is considered going all in, but it would be a trade that could bolster the team now and moving forward.

Standing pat seems like the likely scenario, I agree. But sometimes you have to get creative and maybe thats part of it.

Last edited:

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Any thoughts on Nick Bonino going on waivers today? I seem to remember quite a few here thought highly of him but I really haven't followed him at all so no idea.

Only making 800k.

Reactions: TMLBlueandWhite

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any thoughts on Nick Bonino going on waivers today? I seem to remember quite a few here thought highly of him but I really haven't followed him at all so no idea.

Only making 800k.

He's player replacement now I think. Not very good and pretty slow player. He'd be ok as veteran depth but the Leafs have enough of those.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just hypothetically speaking and as an example without any sort of basis, if say the Leafs want to acquire Parayko, they would need cap space and maybe the Blues would take on Samsonov (among other assets) for the season to make it work. Blues also have Malcom Subban in the AHL, who would could be a target for a 3rd stringer job here. I don't know if this is considered going all in, but it would be a trade that could bolster the team now and moving forward.
You'd have to move Samsonov and Timmins....

Or you move Brodie

Or you move Bertuzzi.

For it to work capwise.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You'd have to move Samsonov and Timmins....

Or you move Brodie

Or you move Bertuzzi.

For it to work capwise.

I don't think Timmins would stay if the Leafs go after a defenseman regardless, he would definitely be in a package for a defenseman. Brodie and Bertuzzi ain't going anywhere.

horner

May 22, 2007
The door partially reopened for Samsonov IMO due to Jones beginning to stumble/becoming overworked. The team will need to have at least two goalies on their game at any one time in order to succeed in a meaningful way (playoffs). That should mean more than whatever return Samsonov might be able to fetch in a trade.
I said when woll comes back and his as good as he was before the injury

Reactions: Buds17

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we should be moving money this TDL and off-season even if we decide not to go all in

If we can bring in long term pieces now there's no reason why we shouldn't keep on building with an eye towards next season

Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into getting rid of guys with bad contracts like Kampf, Reeves and Timmins, asap

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I said when woll comes back and his as good as he was before the injury
I know. Samsonov might still be the better bet as a secondary option (over Jones) though if he is able to maintain his current level of play (keeping the team in games/not losing games for the team).

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Alexandre Carrier would seem like a nice target if Nashville sells. RHD puck mover but has been inconsistent so probably wouldn't cost a lot. UFA but young enough that re-signing could be shrewd if he fits in well. Has typically had good underlying stats.

This would be a move to help the defense a bit without going all-in and costing a 1st or top prospect. He's not huge but he's feisty, not soft by any means. Good compete level.

Reactions: jaric1862

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
The Leafs didn’t want Ruzicka trust me. He might go on a 20 game point streak but it’s all smoke and mirrors. The guy has zero desire he doesn’t even try. He is eventually going to be pushed out of the league and end up in Europe where he can float around and make plays

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

"Oh, but trading futures to win now is how you build a long term loser" you say.

My response to that is to simply point out the fact that they already are long term losers. They've won a single playoffs round in eighteen years. If that's what keeping your picks and prospects gets you then I can understand why teams are so willing to trade them every year.

They're trading a long shot for a long shot.

Like trading ten years of lottery tickets with a 40% chance of a $2M payout for two years of lottery tickets with a 20% chance of a $20M payout. It all depends on your risk tolerance. And whether you want to win the big prize.

Or be satisfied with respect in the handshake lineup.
They ain't going all in this year.

horner

May 22, 2007
I know. Samsonov might still be the better bet as a secondary option (over Jones) though if he is able to maintain his current level of play (keeping the team in games/not losing games for the team).
If they play like they did last night and Vancouver.
Vancouver 3 0 in the 1st it could have been 5 0
They came out flying in the 2nd period , i was hoping they would come out with the same energy but nope

That's not a playoff team would rather get assets for our UFA's for a change.
If was is looking good by the TDL Trade Sammy
Jones as the backup
We may get a 2nd if Sammy keeps this up to get a ðmam that we can resign .

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad