Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dude, and I don't mean to single you out, I'm so sorry, I agree with pretty much everything you say. I love ya.

But Jesus Christ (fellas and lasses) we have an 11 mil 2nd line centre playing at a replacement level.

We have 11 mil in complete dead cap space.

We are letting go the fact the house is on fire, and complaining about the lawn and the garbage bins.

Gat a f***ing grip guys I beg you.
We can't get rid of him, he's here to stay but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix the other problems on the roster

That just means less jobs to do once we do get rid of JT and his 11M

Also if we can free up some money maybe we can bring somebody in to put JT on the wing or the 3rd line so he's less of an anchor

JT sucks but I don't think we can give up on next season as well as this season

Reactions: arso40

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I like Reaves to Chicago. They can use an enforcer for Bedard and they are tanking anyway why not play the worst winger in the league.

I think we need to hold on to Kampf and his faceoff prowess. In the playoffs it will be invaluable. I get the trying to free up cap though but Kampf doesn't make enough to warrant ditching him for a pick. We already have Domi taking draws if Tavares get an injury we are toast up the middle.

The rest seem kind of random.
He's barely a 50% faceoff winner and very inconsistent in the dot. He'll be very good and then very bad which is not what you wat from your 4th line C. Sturm from San Jose should be a target to replace him because he's a much better faceoff man and a better 2 way player. Sturm is signed for this season and next season at 2 mil so that's pretty good for what he brings. Burroughs would be another solid add as well from San Jose who could help the PK and is a right shot defender.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No matter what it takes I think we need to get rid of Kampf, Timmins and Reeves

I'm also willing to move Liljegen and Robertson if they want to much money or we can put them in a deal for an upgrade
Reluctantly
Timmins? Any reason for why he needs to be moved at all costs? FTR, I don't think he'd be all that much of a problem to move. I'd obviously hope to retain both Liljegren and Robertson as well.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

As I see it, president Brendan Shanahan and GM Brad Treliving have one key question to focus on right now. How good do they feel about plugging these holes between now and the March 8 trade deadline?

You have to believe the longer this season goes without any signs the Leafs can snap out of this middle-of-the-pack trend, the more likely we will see a quieter deadline where they might sell off a few pieces themselves.

The unpredictability of this team and the number of weaknesses in their game make it difficult to give up assets in Hail Mary trades that may not move the needle toward building a championship-calibre team.

And they have almost run out of disposable assets to trade for rental players. As Treliving has alluded, the cupboard is pretty empty.

The days of giving up first- and second-round picks for players like Nick Foligno or Ryan O’Reilly need to be over. The thought of Calgary's Chris Tanev or another Grade-A defenceman becoming a Leaf by the deadline is unlikely with the team’s inconsistencies. It might be wiser to sign a defenceman in the summer and keep the first-round asset — not a very Kyle Dubas-like strategy.

Shanahan faces new risks this season — aside from disappointing a ravenous fan base — that could factor into how aggressively he wants Treliving to be at the deadline.

First is the optics of having Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly all in the prime of the careers and not maximizing another opportunity to help them. Then there is the new-boss syndrome — something he’s never dealt with before — with newly appointed MLSE CEO Keith Pelley set to officially start in April.

Does Shanahan push to impress in what will be his 10th attempt to get out of the second round of the post-season? Or will he feel reassured in the coming weeks to do whatever he feels is right to help the team in both the short and long term without feeling like his job is attached to the outcome?

We'll find out soon. In the meantime, the Leafs entered Wednesday behind the Atlantic Division leaders and above the wild-card pile. Stuck in the middle.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Timmins? Any reason for why he needs to be moved at all costs? FTR, I don't think he'd be all that much of a problem to move. I'd obviously hope to retain both Liljegren and Robertson as well.
I dont know about at all costs, but Timmy is the type of player that holds more value to other teams than he does to the Leafs, likely better for him as well, so it's reasonable to include him in proposals and capitalize on that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I dont know about at all costs, but Timmy is the type of player that holds more value to other teams than he does to the Leafs, likely better for him as well, so it's reasonable to include him in proposals and capitalize on that.
Even as a part-time #6, Timmins might have some untapped value yet on a blueline with pending UFAs, and while carrying a 1.1M AAV for one more season. Not an untouchable by any means, but I was just wondering why he might be lumped in with the likes of Reaves (looking to be one of the spare forwards) and Kampf (a bit high on both the AAV and term for his current role)?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Even as a part-time #6, Timmins might have some untapped value yet on a blueline with pending UFAs, and while carrying a 1.1M AAV for one more season. Not an untouchable by any means, but I was just wondering why he might be lumped in with the likes of Reaves (looking to be one of the spare forwards) and Kampf (a bit high on both the AAV and term for his current role)?
Yeah it wouldn't make sense to lump Timmy in with those two. They are cap consideration moves without positive trade value whereas Timmy is buriable, and simply a common sense package component for a team that has interest in the project/upside, and potentially a roster filler if an RD is coming back from a non playoff team.

Maybe Hawks are interested in him getting the puck up to Bedard while Murphy helps us in the playoffs as part of a bigger deal.

Reactions: Buds17

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Unless he's going to play consistently I don't see a ton of point in keeping him

May as well just get somebody on league min that will kill penalties and use the body instead

If Keefe says he's going to play him I'd keep him though, i dont like sitting young guys and putting them in that position

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Also why tf is the trade deadline so far away. March 8th? seriously?
Trade Deadline is set as the 40th day before the last day of the regular season

A slightly later start (October 10, vs in the first week of October) and a slightly longer season (192 days versus 180-186 days of recent non-COVID years) therefore puts the deadline fairly significantly later than the last week of February timeline we are used to.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed, team has too many holes to fill at the deadline. System is a issue, depth scoring is a issue, d-core is a issue. Next year is also going to be rough one as well trying to upgrade everything as currently this what the roster looks like.

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
13$87,700,000$65,594,667$0$0$22,105,333

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Toronto Maple Leafs

Marner, Mitchell
$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
LW2
Toronto Maple Leafs

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
LW3
Toronto Maple Leafs

Kämpf, David
$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Toronto Maple Leafs

Järnkrok, Calle
$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
LW4
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000

Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Toronto Maple Leafs

Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Toronto Maple Leafs

Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
RD2G2
LD3RD3G3
Benoit, Jones, Robbie, Lilly and Domi will be back unless they are trade or some team way overpay them.

Not World beaters but solid and serviceable players and would be 8-9mil.

Which leave a LW, another Forward and 2 Dmen for 13-14mil.

Someone from the Marlies should be able to take the forward spot and around 900k. Could be McMann or Steeves or whoever. Don’t think Cowan or Minten should come in yet, unless Cowan pulls a Marner in his draft +1 year, which was winning all individual awards.

The LW or C would be interesting. As the budget should be 7-8mil. Since a good solid Dman is around 3mil/yr. Just look at what Soucy signed last summer.

But 7-8mil player are so boom and bust. They are often players who are coming out of their deal at 4-5mil with PP time. But with the Leafs. I doubt this player can bump the big 4 out of PP1.

It is not as bad as some think since guys like Knies, Holmberg, Woll, and Robbie can fill in 4 spots in the lineup.
They would have more flexibility if they can move Kampf.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
man we gotta find a way to get korczak or whitecloud I feel like their both good long term right shots whitecloud signed long term at a good cap hit should be easier to get theadore should be bacc soon and I’m not sure they wanna move their left d

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
He's barely a 50% faceoff winner and very inconsistent in the dot. He'll be very good and then very bad which is not what you wat from your 4th line C. Sturm from San Jose should be a target to replace him because he's a much better faceoff man and a better 2 way player. Sturm is signed for this season and next season at 2 mil so that's pretty good for what he brings. Burroughs would be another solid add as well from San Jose who could help the PK and is a right shot defender.
He's career 51.5 % on the draw let's call it consistently decent.

You're right though he's not as good on faceoffs as I thought. I must have mixed up JT's percentages and his because I thought Kampf was in the higher 50s.

I think the thing with Kampf is he eliminates a need. Every deadline teams look to add a Center that can kill penalties and be decent on the draw and we have that already and can concentrate on D and depth scoring. We need a LWer to do what Bertuzzi hasn't done and that's score goals and play big.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Next season trade Kampf

Sign
Dakota Joshua C 6'2" 200 lbs
50% FOW
He has already matched point totals of last yr
on pace for 42 points
Loves to hit and can fight

We should never let him go in the firstplace

3 yrs @:2.5 mil

I wouldn't sign Domi

Sign a 4th line center

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Any trade we make, it shouldn’t be with the intentions of “going all in this year” but more so with the intentions on how to build a winner going forward.

Columbus is a tire fire. I’d look at making a move around Sillinger and Peeke. Both players help address needs on this roster. Ideally Sillinger can replace JT as our second line center and Peeke provides a big physical right hand d that can be tried with Rielly or form a nice third pairing with Benoit.

horner

May 22, 2007
Any trade we make, it shouldn’t be with the intentions of “going all in this year” but more so with the intentions on how to build a winner going forward.

Columbus is a tire fire. I’d look at making a move around Sillinger and Peeke. Both players help address needs on this roster. Ideally Sillinger can replace JT as our second line center and Peeke provides a big physical right hand d that can be tried with Rielly or form a nice third pairing with Benoit.
What you you give up
1st + Minten + Robertson

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
We can't get rid of him, he's here to stay but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix the other problems on the roster

That just means less jobs to do once we do get rid of JT and his 11M

Also if we can free up some money maybe we can bring somebody in to put JT on the wing or the 3rd line so he's less of an anchor

JT sucks but I don't think we can give up on next season as well as this season
What about fixing the defense also? There are quite a few holes to fill when all is said and done.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
What you you give up
1st + Minten + Robertson
I’m not sure. I do feel like that deal is a bit of an overpayment. Acquiring Peeke with no retention would ideally lower the cost a tiny bit. But I would still do it.

Going into next year I think we need to acquire players of need but also fit. For example I like Domi but if you’re not playing him on your second line, where does he really fit? He’s terrible defensively creating a hole in the bottom six. You can’t have a shutdown line or a dump and chase/cycle line.

Sillinger is someone ideally I’d like to form a good second line with Marner. That’s two players that can play a 200ft game. Pushes JT down to the third line where he belongs.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Unless he's going to play consistently I don't see a ton of point in keeping him

May as well just get somebody on league min that will kill penalties and use the body instead

If Keefe says he's going to play him I'd keep him though, i dont like sitting young guys and putting them in that position
To me, the one big major problem with this team is our defense. We are one of, if not the worst, teams who get scoring/points from their dmen, and this has always been a major factor, especially in the playoffs. I don’t have the stats, but it would be interesting to see how many teams make deep runs in the playoffs with so little offensive contributions from their dmen as us.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I like Reaves to Chicago. They can use an enforcer for Bedard and they are tanking anyway why not play the worst winger in the league.

I think we need to hold on to Kampf and his faceoff prowess. In the playoffs it will be invaluable. I get the trying to free up cap though but Kampf doesn't make enough to warrant ditching him for a pick. We already have Domi taking draws if Tavares get an injury we are toast up the middle.

The rest seem kind of random.
So what/who would we need to give up in order for the Hawks to do that? I can’t imagine it would be cheap.

Agreed, team has too many holes to fill at the deadline. System is a issue, depth scoring is a issue, d-core is a issue. Next year is also going to be rough one as well trying to upgrade everything as currently this what the roster looks like.

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
13$87,700,000$65,594,667$0$0$22,105,333

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Toronto Maple Leafs

Marner, Mitchell
$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
LW2
Toronto Maple Leafs

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
LW3
Toronto Maple Leafs

Kämpf, David
$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Toronto Maple Leafs

Järnkrok, Calle
$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
LW4
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000

Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Toronto Maple Leafs

Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Toronto Maple Leafs

Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
RD2G2
LD3RD3G3
Yup, and we’re going to be even tighter to the cap next season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Does Adam Peeke live up to any sort of semblance of the hype (sorry I can't think of a better word) he gets?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Timmins can hardly break into the D line up that’s made of swiss cheese, he’s nothing special and is a defensive liability every time he’s on the ice……..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Timmins can hardly break into the D line up that’s made of swiss cheese, he’s nothing special and is a defensive liability every time he’s on the ice……..
How many goals against would you say he’s responsible for?

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad