Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I think this can be put to rest simply.

Based on the number of games you’ve watched closely for Columbus, and how a bad team decides to handle it’s defensive decisions, you’ve decided that Peeke cannot be anything of value for us, nor should we bother seeing if he is capable ofanything more in Toronto, based on Columbus’ assessment and handling of him, because, well, you know, they’ve got to be doing something right over ther, right?

We have no use nor need for a young, physical, decent cap RHD, who is available now and shouldn’t cost too much to acquire.

Rather, we will continue to let Brodie drag Rielly to death, leave 3RHD a question mark, and continue to have a revolving cast of characters, including LHD playing on their offside.

Anything is better than seeing what Peeke is able to bring, you know, like we did with Benoit, another guy, on a bad team, who said bad team decided they didn’t need. Why didn’t we just take Anaheim’s assessment of Benoit as gospel, dammit???

:)
Ah shit, you must be correct based on your long and extensive history of watching columbus.

Just show me again where I said he wasn't somebody capable of playing on or helping this team, you know, just in case my initial statement was:

"Man, its so crazy that the number 7 defenceman on the 4th worst team in the league should be on our top pairing for some of you people."

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Ah shit, you must be correct based on your long and extensive history of watching columbus.

Just show me again where I said he wasn't somebody capable of playing on or helping this team, you know, just in case my initial statement was:

"Man, its so crazy that the number 7 defenceman on the 4th worst team in the league should be on our top pairing for some of you people."
More to my friend point is Columbus as an organization is a tire fire what do they really know in assessing their team they’re looking to trade someone they just traded for, its entirely possible they just don’t want what he has to offer basically a better more tradable version of gudbranson which we should welcome to our lineup

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Not going to keep going on this, you sound like a broken record.

You believe Peeke has no business playing with Rielly, based on your extensive knowledge of him, as well as how Columbus has used an viewed him

You can’t get over how some people here want to see what he can do here. After watching Schenn, Brodie, Holl, Hainsey, Ceci, Barrie….. we must NOT try to see if Peeke can do anything, and if his RHD defence can allow Rielly to play his game, like Schenn did.

That some people can think we should see is unbelievable and I must shake my head in wonderment indeed. Columbus has determined it, and so it must be!!

Peeke’s need not apply, let’s keep Brodie where he is, as he is unquestionably a better option until we find the tried 1RHD we’ve been searching for, since, well…… Yushkevich??v! :)

Joshing aside, who do you feel we can immediately put on Rielly’s RHD? Brodie is getting worse and worse and can’t stay there. Who do you put that is adequate and attainable right now?

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
And I never meant you said that (though your sarcastic remark was literally you calling him that), I meant you saying other people called him "an elite #1" was horse shit.

Or it was a guy who played all year on the top pairing, happened to be playing it with one of the top offensive players in the league who would, shortly later, cement themselves as one of the best defenders in all of the league (Hughes) and then got traded to do the same in Toronto and was capable and proven to be able to do the duty.

Vs Peeke, who has played 17 games for CBJ this season and... how many times has he played top pairing before?
Who on Columbus is on Rielly and Hughes level offensively? Obviously you'd say Werenski but they paired him with Gudbranson for the same reason you'd put Peeke on his pair. Then they brought in Severson and Provorov who are the 2nd pair. Jiricek just got sent back down so is he bad as well since he can't crack that d core? They are a bad team with a coach who doesn't seem to know how to put lines together. He had Laine playing C to start the season and wondered why he sucked. Then he has his 10 million dollar playmaking winger playing away from his new rookie C who can put pucks in the net. So when it comes to judging Peeke I'm not gonna use lineup decisions from his coach to say if he's good or bad.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Reaves, Domi, and Bertuzzi weren't signed maybe we would have seen them in the lineup. Mind you the Leafs might not be in such a great position without those 3.
Reeves hasn't been of much use but the other two have been OK although Bertuzzi's counting stats aren't great

Cowan, Minten weren't ready and Greb was still in Russia, they could all push next season as well as Tysplakov if he chooses us

I think our 1st is a pretty good assets this season i dont want to part with

The forward position looks good, defense is my concern

Reactions: arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean, there are some players, three in particular, I'm open to moving, but after that...

The draft picks have been totally ravaged. If they do move the 1st this year, that will leave them with no 2nd for three years and no 1st until '26. Giving a 1st+ in the Chicago deal is not looking so rosy. Then Treliving flipped Lafferty for not much, which made it worse.

The STL deal for a few weeks of RoR wasn't worth it, either.
They don’t make it out of the first round last without ROR imo, but he saw what the team was and left town……..

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
More to my friend point is Columbus as an organization is a tire fire what do they really know in assessing their team they’re looking to trade someone they just traded for, its entirely possible they just don’t want what he has to offer basically a better more tradable version of gudbranson which we should welcome to our lineup
Again, what does he bring that Benoit doesn't? Do you honestly think if we traded for Peeke, Brodie would be healthy scratched? Benoit gets sat and its not deserved but its how it likely goes.
So maybe try Benoit on the top pairing then before we move more assets?

LHD/RHD doesnt matter when it comes to people trading Knies/Cowan/Minten and more for a rental LHD to play on the second pairing but all anyone wants to move for somebody on the top pairing is enough to get a f***ing healthy scratch.

I just think we are doing more of the same.
Not going to keep going on this, you sound like a broken record.
It sounds that way when you ignore everything and get upset about something else. I'll leave your post in a similar fashion and ignore the rest of it and leave you here.

Who on Columbus is on Rielly and Hughes level offensively? Obviously you'd say Werenski but they paired him with Gudbranson for the same reason you'd put Peeke on his pair. Then they brought in Severson and Provorov who are the 2nd pair. Jiricek just got sent back down so is he bad as well since he can't crack that d core? They are a bad team with a coach who doesn't seem to know how to put lines together. He had Laine playing C to start the season and wondered why he sucked. Then he has his 10 million dollar playmaking winger playing away from his new rookie C who can put pucks in the net. So when it comes to judging Peeke I'm not gonna use lineup decisions from his coach to say if he's good or bad.
If Werenski is the only comparable to Rielly and Werenski offensively, and they still wont pair Peeke with them because of Gudbranson....

Wait, i get it, you really believe in Keefe and think he is the coach that will put Peeke in a place for us to succeed as a team.
Twice….
Two cups then, eh? Thank f*** we twice found top pairing defenceman for peanuts to win us all these games, lets keep doing that!

They don’t make it out of the first round last without ROR imo, but he saw what the team was and left town……..
Yeah, thats a tough one. I wish we payed less at the time (i wanted more of a Gio deal, 2nds +) but i got to finally cheer for a round win. I dunno, worth it? Yeah, probably but now that it was lets stop doing it.
(This post has nothing to do with Andrew Peeke and is unrelated)

Reactions: notdoneyet

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Brodie's play notwithstanding, how is he any better than what we already have? How is it a good idea to use assets on somebody that isn't good enough to play in columbus?

He's as good or better than Schenn but he cant even play half the games for a bottom feeder with injuries on defence. Something just doesn't add up.
Maybe the coach hates him? Keefe does his best not to play Robertson, maybe it’s the same thing?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Maybe the coach hates him? Keefe does his best not to play Robertson, maybe it’s the same thing?
I mean, we can play the russian doll game of "what if" forever. What if we trade for him and Keefe hates him too?

All I'm saying is:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean, we can play the russian doll game of "what if" forever. What if we trade for him and Keefe hates him too?

All I'm saying is:

Yeah we know your opinion on the matter, your cup runneth over……..

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Again, what does he bring that Benoit doesn't? Do you honestly think if we traded for Peeke, Brodie would be healthy scratched? Benoit gets sat and its not deserved but its how it likely goes.

LHD/RHD doesnt matter when it comes to people trading Knies/Cowan/Minten and more for a rental LHD to play on the second pairing but all anyone wants to move for somebody on the top pairing is enough to get a f***ing healthy scratch.

It sounds that way when you ignore everything and get upset about something else. I'll leave your post in a similar fashion and ignore the rest of it and leave you here.

If Werenski is the only comparable to Rielly and Werenski offensively, and they still wont pair Peeke with them because of Gudbranson....

Wait, i get it, you really believe in Keefe and think he is the coach that will put Peeke in a place for us to succeed as a team.

Two cups then, eh? Thank f*** we twice found top pairing defenceman for peanuts to win us all these games, lets keep doing that!

Yeah, thats a tough one. I wish we payed less at the time (i wanted more of a Gio deal, 2nds +) but i got to finally cheer for a round win. I dunno, worth it? Yeah, probably but now that it was lets stop doing it.
I've actually wanted Keefe gone for a while now but was willing to give him a chance away from Dubas. Gudbranson is probably playing with him because he brings the same game and is a veteran player who a rookie coach probably prefers in most cases.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I've actually wanted Keefe gone for a while now but was willing to give him a chance away from Dubas. Gudbranson is probably playing with him because he brings the same game and is a veteran player who a rookie coach probably prefers in most cases.
That's a pretty reasonable assessment in my opinion but again i wonder why people think it would be different here? Keefe isn't shy about benching players his age in the playoffs and pretending they arent good enough in favour of the vets and Peeke isnt a vet.

Reactions: arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Lol, sounds like you getting upset, to be honest.

Your entire point was to put down those who thought to try Peeke with Eielly for reasons provided being merely that he’s on a bad team and isn’t in their lineup.

I asked you to share who you would put with Rielly and you didn’t answer, so yes, that.

I’m interested in hearing what you propose, but it seems like you don’t have anything to contribute and your sole intent was a put down of other posters you don’t agree with.

Carry on though.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and arso40

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Lol, sounds like you getting upset, to be honest.

Your entire point was to put down those who thought to try Peeke with Eielly for reasons provided being merely that he’s on a bad team and isn’t in their lineup.

I asked you to share who you would put with Rielly and you didn’t answer, so yes, that.

I’m interested in hearing what you propose, but it seems like you don’t have anything to contribute and your sole intent was a put down of other posters you don’t agree with.

Carry on though.
"Not going to keep going on"

Alright, but here you are. I've said lots of times, which you reasonably may have missed in this 250+ page thread, my ideal partner for Rielly is Andersson on Calgary. The price would be brutal and difficult to swallow and the likelyhood in which he would even be available isn't something we should ever think exists in reality:laugh:. But thats the guy.

I'm also sorry you read my text in a manner in which makes you think i'm upset, my bad. This isn't a particularly emotional debate to me because its just a hypothetical. Hope you enjoy the game.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
That's a pretty reasonable assessment in my opinion but again i wonder why people think it would be different here? Keefe isn't shy about benching players his age in the playoffs and pretending they arent good enough in favour of the vets and Peeke isnt a vet.
He’s only a coach you can’t play players you don’t have so send Brodie on the first thing smoking out of town

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
"Not going to keep going on"

Alright, but here you are. I've said lots of times, which you reasonably may have missed in this 250+ page thread, my ideal partner for Rielly is Andersson on Calgary. The price would be brutal and difficult to swallow and the likelyhood in which he would even be available isn't something we should ever think exists in reality:laugh:. But thats the guy.

I'm also sorry you read my text in a manner in which makes you think i'm upset, my bad. This isn't a particularly emotional debate to me because its just a hypothetical. Hope you enjoy the game.
Thanks for answering, as I was genuinely interested in who your preference was.

I appreciate the realism of your assessment on the likelihood of Andersson even being available, and how exorbitant it would be to try to attain him.

Thank you.

Cheers,

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Keefe has said he wants more right shot defenders to play the right side. I doubt Gio would play over Peeke and I think in the end we're gonna have to decide between Brodie or McCabe for the 2nd pair with Lili since I think Benoit has earned his spot on the 3rd pair.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Thanks for answering, as I was genuinely interested in who your preference was.

I appreciate the realism of your assessment on the likelihood of Andersson even being available, and how exorbitant it would be to try to attain him.

Thank you.

Cheers,
It just feels like youre probably trying to put a circle through a square hole and im trying to put a triangle through it. We can make them fit but it doesn't mean we are correct and the person thats supposed to help us is dealing with the kids that eat paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad