Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The fact that he comes cheap and is better than most of the tripe on our blue line is why he get praise imo………

When you sit back and look at our collection of defenseman, it's bad.

Rielly is a top pairing guy,
McCabe is a passable second pair guy
Liljegren is a bottom 4 guy
Benoit is a #6-7 type on an elite contender

Giordano isn't an every day guy anymore. Brodie has devolved into...something. Timmins is a #6-7 type as well.

They need 2 guys minimum, and GOOD - GREAT ones to make this blue line look any good. There is a lot of heavy lifting to do.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Man, its so crazy that the number 7 defenceman on the 4th worst team in the league should be on our top pairing for some of you people.
Pretty sure the majority here want Peeke for 3rd pairing and a UFA RHD in the summer to play with Rielly, like Pesce, DeMelo etc.

Peeke does represent a good project, is RHD and fits on 3rd pairing, and could come dirt cheap, has some term left on a decent contract, and represents an immediate upgrade.

What’s the problem with that, exactly?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
What’s the problem with that, exactly?
The part where you changed the problem. I didnt say anything about him being bottom pair, where we already have a big tall RHD project that is younger and a bigger LHD free wallet that is way better than anyone expected.

I said, "Man, its so crazy that the number 7 defenceman on the 4th worst team in the league should be on our TOP PAIRING FOR SOME OF YOU"

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Last time y'all said we were bringing in a 7th-8th d man he ended up being a very good #2 with Rielly.
Sweet, which banner did Schenn help lift? Ah, the first round banner, thats pretty good. Imagine what we could do if we traded for/ signed an actual top pairing defenceman for Morgan instead of another bottom pairing one and trying to jam them into minutes they cant handle.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sweet, which banner did Schenn help lift? Ah, the first round banner, thats pretty good. Imagine what we could do if we traded for/ signed an actual top pairing defenceman for Morgan instead of another bottom pairing one and trying to jam them into minutes they cant handle.
the problem was Luke looked around the room and thought "if they can all be overpaid, why not me......."

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Schenn seemed to handle the minutes just fine. It was that elite #1 guy in Brodie who couldn't seem to handle them, remember? Speaking of banners though, where's our banner after signing all these elite players to 11 mil? You'd think they'd carry us to at least 1 by now being the most expensive core in the league. Maybe they should've took some of that money to sign a legit top pair guy with Rielly so we don't have to find cheap guys who can.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Schenn seemed to handle the minutes just fine. It was that elite #1 guy in Brodie who couldn't seem to handle them, remember? Speaking of banners though, where's our banner after signing all these elite players to 11 mil? You'd think they'd carry us to at least 1 by now being the most expensive core in the league. Maybe they should've took some of that money to sign a legit top pair guy with Rielly so we don't have to find cheap guys who can.
And your solution is Peeke? I dont disagree with anything youre saying unless you think the solution is f***ing andrew peeke.

Edit: not disagreeing about anything is a lie actually, you calling brodie an "elite #1 guy" is f***ing horse shit, nobody rational ever called him that. Hard disagree.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yes, however, you need cap space and attractive assets to get those.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And your solution is Peeke? I dont disagree with anything youre saying unless you think the solution is f***ing andrew peeke.

Edit: not disagreeing about anything is a lie actually, you calling brodie an "elite #1 guy" is f***ing horse shit, nobody rational ever called him that. Hard disagree.
I’d feel more comfortable having Peeke as Morgan’s partner than TJ f**king Brodie that’s for damn sure……..

Yes, however, you need cap space and attractive assets to get those.
Cupboards were left bare in that regard by the previous GM………

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I’d feel more comfortable having Peeke as Morgan’s partner than TJ f**king Brodie that’s for damn sure……..
But that's just being more comfortable freezing to death because you got new boots off the last guy that died.

Wow, what a bad analogy.

I get why people want to take the chance, I really do but I feel strongly that unless we get Morgan an actual partner we will just continue to waste how effective he can be, especially as hes not getting any younger.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
But that's just being more comfortable freezing to death because you got new boots off the last guy that died.

Wow, what a bad analogy.

I get why people want to take the chance, I really do but I feel strongly that unless we get Morgan an actual partner we will just continue to waste how effective he can be, especially as hes not getting any younger.
Peeke is as good or better than Schenn imo, so I think it could be a cheap solution to the problem…….

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Peeke is as good or better than Schenn imo, so I think it could be a cheap solution to the problem…….
Brodie's play notwithstanding, how is he any better than what we already have? How is it a good idea to use assets on somebody that isn't good enough to play in columbus?

He's as good or better than Schenn but he cant even play half the games for a bottom feeder with injuries on defence. Something just doesn't add up.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Cupboards were left bare in that regard by the previous GM………
I mean, there are some players, three in particular, I'm open to moving, but after that...

The draft picks have been totally ravaged. If they do move the 1st this year, that will leave them with no 2nd for three years and no 1st until '26. Giving a 1st+ in the Chicago deal is not looking so rosy. Then Treliving flipped Lafferty for not much, which made it worse.

The STL deal for a few weeks of RoR wasn't worth it, either.

Reactions: rumman

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

I never said Brodie was a #1 guy. Same people who called Schenn a #8 have said many times Brodie is our top guy. I don't care about Peeke, but the point was clearly that people will call someone a #7-8 d man when Schenn came here and believe it or not we saw Rielly play some of his best hockey and Schenn as well. Almost like having a defensive first guy and an offensive first guy actually works out.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I never said Brodie was a #1 guy.
And I never meant you said that (though your sarcastic remark was literally you calling him that), I meant you saying other people called him "an elite #1" was horse shit.
I never said Brodie was a #1 guy. Same people who called Schenn a #8 have said many times Brodie is our top guy. I don't care about Peeke, but the point was clearly that people will call someone a #7-8 d man when Schenn came here and believe it or not we saw Rielly play some of his best hockey and Schenn as well. Almost like having a defensive first guy and an offensive first guy actually works out.
Or it was a guy who played all year on the top pairing, happened to be playing it with one of the top offensive players in the league who would, shortly later, cement themselves as one of the best defenders in all of the league (Hughes) and then got traded to do the same in Toronto and was capable and proven to be able to do the duty.

Vs Peeke, who has played 17 games for CBJ this season and... how many times has he played top pairing before?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hainsey was his partner, without being a top 2 defender.

Reactions: arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
And I never meant you said that (though your sarcastic remark was literally you calling him that), I meant you saying other people called him "an elite #1" was horse shit.

Or it was a guy who played all year on the top pairing, happened to be playing it with one of the top offensive players in the league who would, shortly later, cement themselves as one of the best defenders in all of the league (Hughes) and then got traded to do the same in Toronto and was capable and proven to be able to do the duty.

Vs Peeke, who has played 17 games for CBJ this season and... how many times has he played top pairing before?
I think this can be put to rest simply.

Based on the number of games you’ve watched closely for Columbus, and how a bad team decides to handle it’s defensive decisions, you’ve decided that Peeke cannot be anything of value for us, nor should we bother seeing if he is capable ofanything more in Toronto, based on Columbus’ assessment and handling of him, because, well, you know, they’ve got to be doing something right over ther, right?

We have no use nor need for a young, physical, decent cap RHD, who is available now and shouldn’t cost too much to acquire.

Rather, we will continue to let Brodie drag Rielly to death, leave 3RHD a question mark, and continue to have a revolving cast of characters, including LHD playing on their offside.

Anything is better than seeing what Peeke is able to bring, you know, like we did with Benoit, another guy, on a bad team, who said bad team decided they didn’t need. Why didn’t we just take Anaheim’s assessment of Benoit as gospel, dammit???

:)

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad