Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Their management has no idea what they're doing

The Poulin special.

But if they can get Tanev and sign him, it sets them well going into next year. They can dump a bunch of other players and build towards next season... again. I can respect that kind of savvy maneuvering. They have a lot of prospects, young players and picks.

But why in the hell would Tanev want to go there and re-sign? He can't possibly want to go to another unstable franchise. I guess money talks.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The Poulin special.

But if they can get Tanev and sign him, it sets them well going into next year. They can dump a bunch of other players and build towards next season... again. I can respect that can of savvy maneuvering. They have a lot of prospects, young players and picks.

But why in the hell would Tanev want to go there and re-sign? He can't possibly want to go to another unstable franchise. I guess money talks.
Poulin the tsn panel cheap tryna screw us he knows that’s exactly what we need hopefully they over pay so we can look to somewhere else

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
To Toronto-
Provorov
Peeke
Jenner

To Columbus-
Brodie
Jarnkrok
Holmberg
Kokkonen
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Marner
Bertuzzi-Jenner-Domi
Gregor-Kampf-McMann

Rielly- Peeke
Provorov Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe

..and I get blown up when I give up too much.

This is utter crap.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
The Poulin special.

But if they can get Tanev and sign him, it sets them well going into next year. They can dump a bunch of other players and build towards next season... again. I can respect that kind of savvy maneuvering. They have a lot of prospects, young players and picks.

Honestly, it feels like they are making this move as a means to block us from making a move. kind of like old-school GMing in the past to block other teams/rivals.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Honestly, it feels like they are making this move as a means to block us from making a move. kind of like old-school GMing in the past to block other teams/rivals.
Most definitely everyone has a hard on for us but realistically we’re one of the teams standing in their way of the playoffs so it’s a tactical move

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

He’s 34. He could shore a contender‘s D, and if plays well he may get a nice contract in July.
Boston or Edmonton come to mind, so maybe Ottawa is trying to broker the deal.

On the other hand, he has M-NTC so he may not want to be traded to another Canadian market.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Can someone explain to me why some people here like Peeke so much? Looking on the Columbus board it doesn't seem like many Jackets fans think too highly of him and don't mind if he stays or goes. Is there some huge untapped potential that people see in him that makes him so coveted because right now he seems like just another Benoit only worse. Same age, about the same size, playing 3rd pairing minutes when he can get into games.

Not sure why we want this guy when we can just keep Benoit to do what Peeke does at a cheaper cost.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Can someone explain to me why some people here like Peeke so much? Looking on the Columbus board it doesn't seem like many Jackets fans think too highly of him and don't mind if he stays or goes. Is there some huge untapped potential that people see in him that makes him so coveted because right now he seems like just another Benoit only worse. Same age, about the same size, playing 3rd pairing minutes when he can get into games.

Not sure why we want this guy when we can just keep Benoit to do what Peeke does at a cheaper cost.
1. He big.
2. He shoot right.
3. People think the grass is always greener on the other side.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

At 25 years of age, he’s not far from averaging 20+ minutes in multiple seasons for Columbus. He’s big, right handed and plays a shutdown game while still being able to make a solid first pass. He likes to hit and block shots, which is something we could use on the backend and on the PK. His contract isn’t the best but that’s probably what’s going to keep the cost very low. Worth the gamble IMO.

You can try him next to Rielly as Schenn looked really good there and it allowed Rielly to play his game. Or you can have Peeke on the third pair with a guy like Benoit. Those two would probably make any opposing player think twice before going into the corners as you’re 100% getting hit.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Not going to keep going on this, you sound like a broken record.

You believe Peeke has no business playing with Rielly, based on your extensive knowledge of him, as well as how Columbus has used an viewed him

You can’t get over how some people here want to see what he can do here. After watching Schenn, Brodie, Holl, Hainsey, Ceci, Barrie….. we must NOT try to see if Peeke can do anything, and if his RHD defence can allow Rielly to play his game, like Schenn did.

That some people can think we should see is unbelievable and I must shake my head in wonderment indeed. Columbus has determined it, and so it must be!!

Peeke’s need not apply, let’s keep Brodie where he is, as he is unquestionably a better option until we find the tried 1RHD we’ve been searching for, since, well…… Yushkevich??v! :)

Joshing aside, who do you feel we can immediately put on Rielly’s RHD? Brodie is getting worse and worse and can’t stay there. Who do you put that is adequate and attainable right now?
Try Benoit there for a game
Not saying he is a top two defender but he has improved every time out. He is no different than hainsey schenn lubushkin and other tough stay at home dmen who have looked good with Reilly.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Try Benoit there for a game
Not saying he is a top two defender but he has improved every time out. He is no different than hainsey schenn lubushkin and other tough stay at home dmen who have looked good with Reilly.
Only difference is he’s a lefty and primarily playing the left side, like Rielly.

Reactions: LeafSteel

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe the coach hates him? Keefe does his best not to play Robertson, maybe it’s the same thing?
This would be an explanation why its possible he could have a lot more game but its not a reason to acquire him. If you have one bullet to spend for a RD solution, does it make sense to spend it on the CBJ third pairing guy at 2.75 x 3? Odds are in favor of him being a 3rd pairing guy here too.

Now if the Jackets buy him out then next summer for $1M why not? Or are we talking about Kampf going the other way?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I know this is an area we can improve on but the Rangers are looking for a center. I wonder if they would have any interest in Domi? Not sure what the cost would be for Lafreniere, probably inflated due to his draft selection but he’s someone I’d have interest in.

To Toronto: Alexis Lafreniere
To Rangers: Max Domi + Timothy Liljegren

What I like the most about Lafreniere is his physicality. I honestly think he would slot in really nicely next to Matthews and provide the physical game but the ability to still produce offensively with his playmaking and shooting skills.

This would leave a big hole on an already weak right side on the blueline though.

I would then go to Columbus and trade for Peeke with the freed up cap space.

To Toronto: Andrew Peeke
To Columbus: Nicholas Abruzzese + VAN 5th Rounder

Essentially you’re moving Domi and Liljegren for Lafreniere and Peeke.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

To be fair columbus is utter chaos.. they were last year and again this year. It isnt a very defencemen friendly forward group.. they play disjointed.. anyone below exceptional tier is going to look questionable on that team

I would feel comfortable saying that ducks fans were saying similar things about benoit..

These guys are role players true and true.. and can flourish with opportunity but playing with better players and better teams

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
..and I get blown up when I give up too much.

This is utter crap.

The Leafs take that deal and run before Columbus comes to their senses.

They gave up a 1st and 2nd alone for Provorov just this past offseason and I think it’s fair to say if LA hadn’t also put in a bunch of assets the ask may have even been higher.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I know this is an area we can improve on but the Rangers are looking for a center. I wonder if they would have any interest in Domi? Not sure what the cost would be for Lafreniere, probably inflated due to his draft selection but he’s someone I’d have interest in.

To Toronto: Alexis Lafreniere
To Rangers: Max Domi + Timothy Liljegren

What I like the most about Lafreniere is his physicality. I honestly think he would slot in really nicely next to Matthews and provide the physical game but the ability to still produce offensively with his playmaking and shooting skills.

This would leave a big hole on an already weak right side on the blueline though.

I would then go to Columbus and trade for Peeke with the freed up cap space.

To Toronto: Andrew Peeke
To Columbus: Nicholas Abruzzese + VAN 5th Rounder

Essentially you’re moving Domi and Liljegren for Lafreniere and Peeke.

Scooping Lafreniere would be a smart move. We need LWs, and he'd be a good add. I like the way he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad