Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't see the logic of the Leafs trading McCabe. The team is looking to add to its D core, not rearrange it.

Gio and Brodie are the ones potentially on their way out (via UFA) more so than anyone under contract or rfa status

Where would McCabe fit in on an improved Leafs D core? Hopefully, the 3rd pair, right?

Morgan Rielly - __________
__________ - Timothy Liljegren
Jake McCabe - __________

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
A move is definitely gonna be made in the next week or 2 imo. Leafs were scouting the Habs vs Sens game tonight and once Bertuzzi comes back won't they have to free up cap space to get him back on the roster now that Reaves is off IR?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
A move is definitely gonna be made in the next week or 2 imo. Leafs were scouting the Habs vs Sens game tonight and once Bertuzzi comes back won't they have to free up cap space to get him back on the roster now that Reaves is off IR?
Reaves was not on LTIR, so he still counted against the cap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It'd arguably be a good idea in this case though because 2.4M x 3+ for a fourth liner isn't the best allocation of cap IMO. I can't see a team taking that bait though (and I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to offer the enticement required).

Most teams aren't as pressed up against the cap where $2.4 million is too much for a player like Kampf though. That's Kubalik, Hathaway, Dadonov, Hague, etc. territory. I think you could probably just make a hockey trade for another guy in that range, no problem.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Most teams aren't as pressed up against the cap where $2.4 million is too much for a player like Kampf though. That's Kubalik, Hathaway, Dadonov, Hague, etc. territory. I think you could probably just make a hockey trade for another guy in that range, no problem.
No pending UFAs in that lot but also deals with less term left on them than the one signed by Kampf (we'd just lose out on the centre versatility).

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Kampf is going anywhere so long as Keefe is around. Plus once Sheldon is done who will take on $2.4M for 3 more years? Ride out the deal for an overpaid 4c and hope his game picks up.
Kampf is fine at 4C, even @ his cap hit with a rising cap, Toronto needs to find a quality 3rd line C that plays 2 ways. Having a one dimensional center on ur 3rd line doesn't cut it.

Reactions: TMLAM34

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Morgan Rielly - Chris Tanev
Noah Hanifin - Timothy Liljegren
Simon Beniot -Jake McCabe
My god if we could pull this off now I don’t care much what the offence looks like it will have the three musketeers hopefully spread out, that looks very good👍🏼

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
There's no cap issue. Reaves was only on regular IR not LTIR, so while they could add someone to replace him on the 23-man roster, both he and his replacement still counter towards the cap. Similarly, Reaves replaces Bertuzzi on the 23-man roster, but again both continue to count towards the cap.

That being said, when Bertuzzi returns, the Leafs will probably need to demote or move someone to make room on the 23-man roster. Of course, an injury could make that unnecessary.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
That's a pretty soft D-core. It's better than what we have now.... but not exactly play-off hockey styled.
How do you figure?lily would be the softest guy on that dcore I know rielly isn’t overly aggressive but literally everyone on there besides lily isn’t soft I wouldn’t even consider lily soft either

I know that contract is a bit scary, but Colton Parayko would be a perfect fit on our blue line.

Rielly-Parayko
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liljegren
Larsson cheaper and better

horner

May 22, 2007
If Sammy gets his game back before the TDL and Woll comes back and he looks as good as he was before the injury.
I also think we keep Jones on the roster till the TDL.
Would you trade Sammy for a dman we would have to retain 50% pp

Alot of teams need a goaltender

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Where would McCabe fit in on an improved Leafs D core? Hopefully, the 3rd pair, right?

Jake McCabe - __________
Not sure I put Lilly ahead of McCabe, both a third pairing guys on a team with solid D, just like every Leafs D man not named Morgan……..

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Not sure I put Lilly ahead of McCabe, both a third pairing guys on a team with solid D, just like every Leafs D man not named Morgan……..
I don’t think it’s soo much Lilly being ahead of mccabe but I feel like what Lilly adds to the second pair aside from the upside being way higher in him then mccabe it’s their strengths match better paired like that Lilly is good at stopping zone entries benoit from the eye test looks like he’s good at that so it makes 3 solid pairs but I guess you could realistically drop Lilly to the third pair regardless I like that 6 d way more than what we have now

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Parayko has regressed quite a bit no? I seem to recall reading that he isn't as good anymore.
Beggars can’t be choosers
Unfortunately they have to hope bargain fa play above their contracts or guys return to previous levels after a trade .

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Beggars can’t be choosers
Unfortunately they have to hope bargain fa play above their contracts or guys return to previous levels after a trade .
Yeah why risk assets and cap on him though why not get Larsson he’s another tall big right shot that is a top pairing dman or go young and make Vegas offer they can’t refuse

Reactions: rumman

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Larsson would be an intriguing target because he's signed for another year. If we could get retention we'd have two solid $2 million defenders with him and McCabe. One thing with him is he has a 10 team NTC. Possible he wouldn't want to come here for whatever reason.

Parayko...Blues fans talk about him like he's Chris Pronger but his underlying stats make him look closer to Buffalo Ristolainen. Just way too much risk there since he might cost a fortune and I don't know how good he really is

Tanev would be really good but I don't know how aggressive the team should be on rentals with our goaltending so questionable atm

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Jake McCabe - __________
On a ideal cup contender you would have McCabe on your 3rd pairing and two people ahead of him. But Toronto is always plugging holes with lower end players higher in our lineup.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Larsson would be an intriguing target because he's signed for another year. If we could get retention we'd have two solid $2 million defenders with him and McCabe. One thing with him is he has a 10 team NTC. Possible he wouldn't want to come here for whatever reason.

Parayko...Blues fans talk about him like he's Chris Pronger but his underlying stats make him look closer to Buffalo Ristolainen. Just way too much risk there since he might cost a fortune and I don't know how good he really is

Tanev would be really good but I don't know how aggressive the team should be on rentals with our goaltending so questionable atm
Larsson is a Swede I’m sure he could be swayed

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I know that contract is a bit scary, but Colton Parayko would be a perfect fit on our blue line.

Rielly-Parayko
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liljegren
Parayko had a couple of down years, with his back problems, and I've been down on him as an option... but, I'm kind of second guessing that opinion. He's really played well this year, and would probably make a very good partner for Rielly. While his contract is long, the AAV is only $6.5 mil, which is pretty good these days. He's pretty good on the PK as well, big, physically imposing, good in front of his net. I'm warming up to the idea, though I don't know why the Blues would move him, unless they wanted a rebuild.

I like Larsson, and he'd be a pretty good grab.

Parayko... which stats are you looking at... he isn't a Pronger, but from what I've seen this year, he's really rebounded well, from a poor couple of years due to back problems... I think he could really benefit from a partner like Rielly... they'd compliment each other well.

Tanev... I like the player, but I think we could use more size and the capability for physicality.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Parayko has regressed quite a bit no? I seem to recall reading that he isn't as good anymore.
I've often posted that.... and he had some back injury issues, and had regressed. It appears he's back to playing very well.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Parayko would be a good addition. That contract is awful though so maybe it’ll help lower the cost to acquire a little.

I’m torn between trying to acquire a top four defenceman by the deadline or just waiting until free agency and take a shot at at least one of Hanifin, Skjei, Pesce, Roy and DeMelo.

That way we keep our assets in a 1st, Niemela and Robertson which at least 2 out of the 3 would definitely be apart of any Parayko deal.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I’ve watched the last couple Blues games and he’s looked like a force.

He had injuries in past years which I think derailed him a bit. We really don’t have many options right now, and a big, strong, RHD is exactly what we need. For the assumed price (long contract + injury issues + rebuilding team) I think he’s the best fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad