Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
No to chabot he’s not even there best d chychrun or Sanderson and Sanderson they will not trade
Which is why he may actually be available for the right price. Chabot would easily be with Rielly as our best dman.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Knies (0.93) - Matthews (13.25) - Marner (10.9)
__________ - Tavares (11) - Nylander (11.5)
Jarnkrok (2.1) - __________ - Holmberg (0.8)
McMann (0.85) - Minten (0.85) - __________
52.18 million

Rielly (7.5) - Liljegren (4)
Chabot (8) - McCabe (2)
Benoit (1.5) - Kokkonen (0.85)
23.85 million

Woll (0.77) - Jones (1.5)
2.27 million

That team comes out to 78.3 million. With a projected salary cap of 87.7, that leaves us 9.4 million to fill three forward spots. Not terrible.
So, we have $15.5m for a 1A LHD and a 1B LHD, and we have no bonafide 1RHD and 2/3 LHD playing his offside for 2RHD?

And we are giving up significant assets to have this arrangement and continue with an inadequate RHD talent pool?

Hard pass on Chabot. In a salary cap world, he’s not a fit. That money and assets need to go to improving our RHD.

Our LHD is significantly stronger and not a position of current weakness.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is there any appetite for a deadline deal that's something along the lines of...

To Toronto
Boone Jenner

To Columbus
David Kampf
Fraser Minten
Draft Pick

The idea being this in 2024 playoffs...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Domi-Jenner-Jarnkrok
McMann-Holmberg-Gregor
Robertson

Then as the cap crunch happens in 2024-2025 you have a 31 year old Jenner signed at $3.75 million, as insurance in case you can't extend Bertuzzi. That would then allow you to go with something like this in 2025...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Jenner-Jarnkrok
McMann-4C-Gregor

Thoughts?

I highly doubt that Columbus would move their Captain at all... what does the addition of Kampf and Minten do for them? And a late draft pick?

I really like Jenner, but I just don't see why they'd move him at all, except for a overpay, and that's not it...

If we are going after guys, that are likely unavailable for 3C... I'd target Jack McBain from Arizona. $1.599 cap hit, and only 24 years old. Contract through to the end of next year, where he'll be a RFA.

Someone who might be available, would be Jason Dickinson, perhaps we could do a deal for him and Connor Murphy? Dickinson is a UFA at the end of the year though.

Then again... Domi seems to be working pretty well as a 3C, so maybe don't mess with what's working, unless we find an upgrade for cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
So, we have $15.5m for a 1A LHD and a 1B LHD, and we have no bonafide 1RHD and 2/3 LHD playing his offside for 2RHD?

And we are giving up significant assets to have this arrangement and continue with an inadequate RHD talent pool?

Hard pass on Chabot. In a salary cap world, he’s not a fit. That money and assets need to go to improving our RHD.

Our LHD is significantly stronger and not a position of current weakness.
There’s still plenty of cap space to get creative. If we don’t want Kokkonen on the third pair, Walker would be a good target through free agency. I would also try and acquire Barron through the three way deal I suggested from Winnipeg.

Barron (1.35) - Minten (0.85) - McMann (0.85)
53.53 million

Chabot (8) - McCabe (2)
Benoit (1.5) - Walker (2.75)
25.75 million

2.27 million

Leaves you 6.15 for the remaining two roster spots.

One guy I’ve always liked is Tomasino. I’m sure he’s available and wouldn’t cost very much to re-sign on a one or two year deal. He’d slot in nicely with Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Tomasino. Don’t think he would cost more than a million on a 1 year deal. Maybe Bertuzzi would agree to a little less on a longer term deal as well. We’ll have more cap flexibility the following year.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There’s still plenty of cap space to get creative. If we don’t want Kokkonen on the third pair, Walker would be a good target through free agency. I would also try and acquire Barron through the three way deal I suggested from Winnipeg.

Barron (1.35) - Minten (0.85) - McMann (0.85)
53.53 million

Chabot (8) - McCabe (2)
Benoit (1.5) - Walker (2.75)
25.75 million

2.27 million

Leaves you 6.15 for the remaining two roster spots.

One guy I’ve always liked is Tomasino. I’m sure he’s available and wouldn’t cost very much to re-sign on a one or two year deal. He’d slot in nicely with Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Tomasino. Don’t think he would cost more than a million on a 1 year deal. Maybe Bertuzzi would agree to a little less on a longer term deal as well. We’ll have more cap flexibility the following year.
I just don't understand why we need another highly paid LHD, who isn't great defensively, is a PP, but not a PK guy, and isn't really big or physical.

None of this makes sense to me....

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I just don't understand why we need another highly paid LHD, who isn't great defensively, is a PP, but not a PK guy, and isn't really big or physical.

None of this makes sense to me....
Our blueline could use the help wherever we can get it. Hanifin is another guy I’d go after in free agency instead of trading for Chabot. Not sure if 7.5 would do it though but it would be nice.

Scion

May 25, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I think Knies might get dealt if Brad is getting a Dman with term.

Knies
1rst
Cap Dump (Brodie)
That’s 6+ million

For

???

Something like (Murphy/Dickinson) from Chicago.
Maybe stop thinking about it then because that's terrible...

Hilarious.

Just trying to say I think if we are ever going to get a good Dman with term it’s gonna cost a lot.

Seen tons of crap where we post:

Robertson
2nd

For a stud top 4 RD
So you decided to do the opposite?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Our blueline could use the help wherever we can get it. Hanifin is another guy I’d go after in free agency instead of trading for Chabot. Not sure if 7.5 would do it though but it would be nice.
It needs help, because it needs balance. This doesn't provide it. Hanifin will extend with Calgary.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Knies is going nowhere

My intended point (terribly constructed) is that:

- To get a legit Top 4 RD we are going to have to part with something that will hurt. If this is even then plan.

-I suggest Knies. Wingers are easier to find and acquire then centres. I would be more cautious trading Minten and Cowan (despite them having a lower ceiling than Knies).

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

- To get a legit Top 4 RD we are going to have to part with something that will hurt. If this is even then plan.

-I suggest Knies. Wingers are easier to find and acquire then centres. I would be more cautious trading Minten and Cowan (despite them having a lower ceiling than Knies).

Minten or Cowan get traded before Knies.

Knies is power forward and potential top line winger. Minten is most likely a 3C if everything goes to plan. Cowan right now a winger until we see any thing differently.

horner

May 22, 2007
It was essentially hypothetical (not well thought out). I was just hoping to have discussion about what Knies and a first with cap dumps would fetch.

Since you are all knowing - please throw some deals out. What should Brad do to get a Dman? Or just go with status quo?

I personally believe that under no circumstance should we be trading Minten or Cowan. We need centres. JT is old and there no one else in the pipeline.
ELC contracts

Knies and Grebyonkin as well

You trade Minten then you will be stuck with kampf and paying 3.5 mil for another center.

These young players are going to allow us to concentrate money on the D.

We aren't ready to take a deep run in the playoffs

At the deadline find another Benoit maybe a 3rd + Robertson

Our 1st rd pk keep it till the offseason if we don't find what we want in the UFA market then use it for a dman

horner

May 22, 2007

You've only seen the tip of what knies can offer .
Teams don't trade players like knies .
If our top guys got involved physically the way that knies does then I would think about it but they don't.

Reactions: arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The way I see it there's three ways of solving the cap and backend problems

1) trade significant assets and get a young top pair RD with a low cap hit who will slot the other guys better
Chychrun LD that plays RD with a 4.6M cap hit or roll the dice on Fabbro 4.5M but less acquisition cost
It also means you can bring in any mid priced defenseman like Brodie at 2.5-3M to help

2) go big and get a top pair like Hanifin for 7.5M, that's about all you can do though

3) try to get a mid priced defenseman that fits stylistically, like Tanev for 4M and bring in another mid priced guy like Brodie for 2.5M and try to improve that way

I don't mind any of the options but we can't miss and screw it up. That would take some fixing

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We aren't ready to take a deep run in the playoffs
Sorry, what?

Then what's the point of this team at the moment having 3 of 7 highest-paid players in the league, and they'll likely be adding a 4th to that list, barring a Marner trade or Tavares buyout (the latter of which cap-wise does nothing, btw).

They should be very much ready to advance in the playoffs, and the management group should be aware of that.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

1) trade significant assets and get a young top pair RD with a low cap hit who will slot the other guys better
Chychrun LD that plays RD with a 4.6M cap hit or roll the dice on Fabbro 4.5M but less acquisition cost
It also means you can bring in any mid priced defenseman like Brodie at 2.5-3M to help

2) go big and get a top pair like Hanifin for 7.5M, that's about all you can do though

3) try to get a mid priced defenseman that fits stylistically, like Tanev for 4M and bring in another mid priced guy like Brodie for 2.5M and try to improve that way

I don't mind any of the options but we can't miss and screw it up. That would take some fixing

Option 3 seems the easiest to achieve and most risk adverse

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I suppose I'm closest to a #1 guy. But not at the higher end, more looking for the guy who is about to break out.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I know everyone is rightfully thinking about defense, but Eriksson Ek could be our longterm shutdown 2C if he's available. Pretty reasonable cap hit too.

Put him with Nylander and suddenly that line can score and play great defense. Free up Matthews by giving them the tougher top 6 assignment

horner

May 22, 2007
Sorry, what?

Then what's the point of this team at the moment having 3 of 7 highest-paid players in the league, and they'll likely be adding a 4th to that list, barring a Marner trade or Tavares buyout (the latter of which cap-wise does nothing, btw).

They should be very much ready to advance in the playoffs, and the management group should be aware of that.
Well then trade or 1st minten Cowen and Grebyonkin if you think we are because thY is what it will take to get 2 dman .

I personally think it is the wrong move .

Those entry level contracts are huge for us
Next yr we have

54 mil for mathews Nylander JT marner and Rielly

33 mil for the rest of the roster

It allows us to concentrate on Defence next yr.

I would trade a 3rd + Robertson for a stay at home dman that can PK

Next yr and the yr after are our best shot

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

I know everyone is rightfully thinking about defense, but Eriksson Ek could be our longterm shutdown 2C if he's available. Pretty reasonable cap hit too.

Put him with Nylander and suddenly that line can score and play great defense. Free up Matthews by giving them the tougher top 6 assignment

I’d be all over him if he’s available.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

I’d go 3, trading for a guy like Chychrun would cost a lot more in assets than I’d wanna give up. Watching him close since he came to Ottawa I’ve been pretty underwhelmed, with the exception of his shot. His play in his own end is not good, poor decision making with and without the puck. Not at all the type the Leafs need the most.

Reactions: Buds17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He would be absolutely amazing to pickup but would be a pricey acquisition

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He would be absolutely amazing to pickup but would be a pricey acquisition
Probably starting at a 1st, Minten ++ but I’d do it.

Jarnkrok - Eriksson Ek - Nylander

Swedish connection but could be extremely dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad