Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Usually it involes a 1st and Minten, doesn't it? Think that's a lot closer to the going rate for someone under 28.

What do you think we would have had to pay for Drysdale (hypothetically)? I wonder how much better of a prospect Cutter Gauthier is than Minten in terms of additional value?
I figure Gauthier should be comfortably ahead of Minten due to draft pedigree (5th overall versus high 2nd round pick) in spite of Minten having a modicum of NHL experience. Perhaps Drysdale and a 2nd or 3rd for Minten and a 1st?

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It was essentially hypothetical (not well thought out). I was just hoping to have discussion about what Knies and a first with cap dumps would fetch.

Since you are all knowing - please throw some deals out. What should Brad do to get a Dman? Or just go with status quo?

I personally believe that under no circumstance should we be trading Minten or Cowan. We need centres. JT is old and there no one else in the pipeline.
He might have to prioritize the UFA market over the trade market (it might not be wise to give up the prospect/young NHLer teams are likely to ask for).

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
What's more likely is that Drysdale was never available until Gauthier became an option
Agreed. At a previous time, I mentioned this being a tough trade to replicate because of the circumstances involved (Gauthier not wanting to sign with PHI; ANA having a good pipeline of blueliners).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Ottawa may have a hard time fitting Pinto back into the lineup due to cap space… I would definitely be calling them about him. Would solve our third center issues.

Reactions: notdoneyet

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
What year is that ? This year?? I don’t get those stats how’s his the lowest and there’s no way this month he averages anywhere close to marner after the 3 game losing streak I haven’t even seen him on the pk much

took it from NHL.com from this year Jan 1 to today, since you said he was taken off recently which proved he hadn't tho we've only taken 6 minor penalties might be why you haven't noticed him on the PK recently but the PPGA/per 60 is from the whole season. among the Dmen Liljegren is at 12.24, Gio 11.13 McCabe 8.82 Brodie 8.85 Benoit 3.66

Edit: Marner averaged 50 seconds of PK time over the 4 games in January and Gregor 40 seconds.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ottawa may have a hard time fitting Pinto back into the lineup due to cap space… I would definitely be calling them about him. Would solve our third center issues.
Teams that have called to express interest in making a trade for his rights have been told the Senators aren’t interested in trading him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Teams that have called to express interest in making a trade for his rights have been told the Senators aren’t interested in trading him.

Damn he would have been a good target for 3C and eventually to replace JT as a 2C.

Who/what would you ask for if you were Ottawa?
Doesn’t even matter apparently they’re turning down calls regarding his availability.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Doesn’t even matter apparently they’re turning down calls regarding his availability.
His value isn't exactly at its highest, so it's protection for that, but if they get a good offer, then they'll likely consider it. If it's Toronto, that may make it difficult., but it wouldn't be a cheap deal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Mentioned this in the gdt, but one can't help but wonder if they're sitting Robertson periodically to limit risk of injury due to a trade.

Kyper I believe had mentioned the Leafs were allegedly in talks with the Blue Jackets over a deal.

Maybe he's right again after the Nylander report

I've heard the Jenner / Robertson rumor was garbage.

Reactions: Menzinger

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Is there any appetite for a deadline deal that's something along the lines of...

To Toronto
Boone Jenner

To Columbus
David Kampf
Fraser Minten
Draft Pick

The idea being this in 2024 playoffs...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Domi-Jenner-Jarnkrok
McMann-Holmberg-Gregor
Robertson

Then as the cap crunch happens in 2024-2025 you have a 31 year old Jenner signed at $3.75 million, as insurance in case you can't extend Bertuzzi. That would then allow you to go with something like this in 2025...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Jenner-Jarnkrok
McMann-4C-Gregor

Thoughts?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Mentioned this in the gdt, but one can't help but wonder if they're sitting Robertson periodically to limit risk of injury due to a trade.

Kyper I believe had mentioned the Leafs were allegedly in talks with the Blue Jackets over a deal.

Or they’re aware that he has barely played half a pro season so far in his career and given his injury issues they want to ensure he’s not worn down.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

horner

May 22, 2007
Is there any appetite for a deadline deal that's something along the lines of...

To Toronto
Boone Jenner

To Columbus
David Kampf
Fraser Minten
Draft Pick

The idea being this in 2024 playoffs...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Jenner-Jarnkrok
McMann-Holmberg-Gregor
Robertson

Then as the cap crunch happens in 2024-2025 you have a 31 year old Jenner signed at $3.75 million, as insurance in case you can't extend Bertuzzi. That would then allow you to go with something like this in 2025...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Jenner-Jarnkrok
McMann-4C-Gregor

Thoughts?
No
Minten is going nowhere
We need defense anyways

Reactions: arso40

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wonder about a retained Hayes for a 3rd.

Getting a defensively responsible 3C who can get 40ish points for 2 or so would be massive for next year

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
No
Minten is going nowhere
We need defense anyways
Out of curiosity, are you actually high on Minten as a prospect? I think he's a solid, career 3C, who can play some 2C in a pinch, but likely not on a top flight team.

Still an asset that I expect to be an excellent contributor in Toronto, but by no means an untradeable guy, IMO.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Add Perry Jenner and Peeke

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Domi Jenner Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf Perry

Rielly Peeke
Benoit McCabe
Brodie Lilly
Gio

Definitely has enough grit for playoffs

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Add Perry Jenner and Peeke

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Domi Jenner Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf Perry

Rielly Peeke
Benoit McCabe
Brodie Lilly
Gio

Definitely has enough grit for playoffs
A couple things.

1. Curious what you think the additions of Peeke and Jenner would cost?

2. Would you not try your best to send Kampf the other way in a deal given that you are adding Jenner and who is a center and also have Holmberg and Domi who are natural centers, all in your bottom 6? My thought being that getting Kampf's $2.4 million (for multiple years) off the books helps you a lot in trying to make the cap work next year, with Jenner on your roster, trying to re-sign Domi / Bertuzzi, or both. I'm thinking you send Kampf the other way in one of these deals and roll with...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Jenner-Jarnkrok
Perry-Holmberg-Gregor
McMann

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
A couple things.

1. Curious what you think the additions of Peeke and Jenner would cost?

2. Would you not try your best to send Kampf the other way in a deal given that you are adding Jenner and who is a center and also have Holmberg and Domi who are natural centers, all in your bottom 6? My thought being that getting Kampf's $2.4 million (for multiple years) off the books helps you a lot in trying to make the cap work next year, with Jenner on your roster, trying to re-sign Domi / Bertuzzi, or both. I'm thinking you send Kampf the other way in one of these deals and roll with...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Jenner-Jarnkrok
Perry-Holmberg-Gregor
McMann
Like that forward group. Heavy minutes for the top 9, leftovers for the 4th line. Might even switch McMann and Gregor if Leafs want some forecheck, but they need some PKers as well.

Any D group with Benoit as the top 4 is a failure though.

Reactions: hullsy47 and arso40

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

A Robertson for Peake deal would make sense to me from a number of angles.

Reactions: arso40

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I wonder about a retained Hayes for a 3rd.

Getting a defensively responsible 3C who can get 40ish points for 2 or so would be massive for next year

Been wondering ahout that as well. Sounds like St Louis would be open to moving him at 50% which brings it to just over 1.7M for another 2 years after this. A cap strapped team like us need to find those cheap contracts.

Only thing I'd disagree with is, is he not quite bad defensively? Be a decent 3rd line LW that can get 40-55 points that can be used at C in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad