Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Scion goes down the stat rabbit hole a bit more than I personally would and a speed burst / 60 stat is a little silly BUT - he knows quite a bit, that's all I will say on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Depends on the defensive upgrade

If you get somebody like Chychrun who only makes 4.6M fitting Domi and Bert wasn't that difficult, it's when you start spending 6.5M+ on somebody things get ugly

If Minten is ready he should get an opportunity but he needs to deserve it

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Depends on the defensive upgrade

If you get somebody like Chychrun who only makes 4.6M fitting Domi and Bert wasn't that difficult, it's when you start spending 6.5M+ on somebody things get ugly

If Minten is ready he should get an opportunity but he needs to deserve it
Agree with you wholeheartedly

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Piggybacking off the Tsyplakov tweet.

Another player they should be eyeing.

Leafs haven't been able to attract top EU/NCAA prospects in awhile. I hope they can improve that.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Playing style for sure, though they may be less enthusiastic about his office stuff. Seguin got the boot because he liked to party too much
Maybe, but these are the dudes who tried to sign Mitch Miller. They don't really have much moral high ground on Perry.

Plus, it'll make for good drama, come playoff time.

Reactions: Menzinger

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Leafs haven't been able to attract top EU/NCAA prospects in awhile. I hope they can improve that.
They've missed Kuzmenko, but that's not as big of deal now. Good player though.

I'm not sure who else.

The big NCAA guy is Collin Graf

I'm not overly optimistic on that one because there will likely be 10+ teams after him, and it's always a bit tougher when they're American.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm all in on signing Perry. Don't want to see Reaves again. Perry has shown he can still contribute in limited minutes (as recently as this season).

Reactions: horner

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Perry would be a welcome add, better to have him than to face him.

Then again he always seems to be on the end of the losing Cup finalist team recently :laugh: .. but hey, we win a few rounds?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Perry would be a welcome add, better to have him than to face him.

Then again he always seems to be on the end of the losing Cup finalist team recently :laugh: .. but hey, we win a few rounds?

I'd kill to lose in the Stanley Cup final, new achievement for me.

So far it's been final 4s.

Reactions: Buds17

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
You realize at 35 his skating will only he worst and even more defensively lacking? But right he wins faceoffs.

Taking a faceoff is literally the only thing separating Wingers from Centers that can't be shifted by simply saying during play you cover that guy I got this guy 1 seconds after. Which they might already do, I don't play that close of attention to DZone coverages.

Why would you take him off the one thing left in his game that is truely elite. Call me when his faceoff percentage dips below 50, until then be happy that we have one of the best of his generation still going at 60%

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Pesce has dropped off markedly, I wouldn't offer him a contract and believe 5×5 which I think will be the bottom end of his range has the potential to go bad within a year or two

Tanev is interesting, around 3- 4M over 2 or 3 years would be my best guess

I think Tanev is better buying than Pesce if I'm in the ballpark imo

Damn, this dude could be useful on the 3rd line on an ECL

That would really help the cap numbers
Wasn't Pesce injured this year and out for a while? Perhaps that affected his play. He is much younger than Tanev so that's in his favor. My worry with him, which I don't have with Tanev, is how much is his success a by product of playing with Slavin?

Scion

May 25, 2012
He's a good player but to be honest, the times it is most obvious is the playoffs. Things are faster and more intense and his lack of foot speed gets exploited. Overall, the foot speed of our top 6 is average.

If he was moved to LW, it is probably easiest to handle but that's just my 2 cents.
I've also noticed that, not only in the playoffs but the second half of the year in general it seems like his skating stride breaks down a bit. It's hard to tell of that is an injury issue or fatigue issue.

Ultimately I think JT can be successful in any forward position, I just prefer having quicker wingers as my F1 and F2, that said he is quite good at tying defenders up when he gets to the puck on time. If I'm not mistaken our F2 covers the middle/weakside on the breakout which I trust Tavares to do because of his positioning and attention to detail.

I thought Nylander looked the best of the bigger guys against Florida but overall, I would lump the other 3 in "did not meet expectations"

I know there would be expectations of being in on the forecheck but that might be more on the 3rd forward there, JT can get to the front of the net well enough but less onus on him being the "3rd defenseman" as a centre in his own zone is probably better for him.

I think we definitely need to place more emphasis on being a faster team overall, it's not just "JT is slow" - nah the team is pretty average at best as a whole and needs to improve. That didn't get talked about enough in the off-season.
I've been saying this for years, needless to say I agree with you. However, the Leafs allegedly place a greater emphasis on playing quick than being quick, at least that was the word under Dubas.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Wasn't Pesce injured this year and out for a while? Perhaps that affected his play. He is much younger than Tanev so that's in his favor. My worry with him, which I don't have with Tanev, is how much is his success a by product of playing with Slavin?

Pesce has had quite a few injuries

His skating is worrying, I remember him being good but he was struggling with the pace of the game when I was watching him

It was like somebody else In his gear, completely different player

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm all in on signing Perry. Don't want to see Reaves again. Perry has shown he can still contribute in limited minutes (as recently as this season).

Perry comes across as a total jerk but when it comes to real hockey pedigree and playoff track record he kind of comes as close to Gary Roberts as you can get this generation, for free, available right now. If you're looking for "snot" this is the whole sheet of used tissue paper.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've also noticed that, not only in the playoffs but the second half of the year in general it seems like his skating stride breaks down a bit. It's hard to tell of that is an injury issue or fatigue issue.

Ultimately I think JT can be successful in any forward position, I just prefer having quicker wingers as my F1 and F2, that said he is quite good at tying defenders up when he gets to the puck on time. If I'm not mistaken our F2 covers the middle/weakside on the breakout which I trust Tavares to do because of his positioning and attention to detail.

JT late in season can be frustrating. He finds a way to be productive without actually being impactful. Better this season than in some of the past like in 2021 and 2022, but I feel like you have to be careful with him.

Scion

May 25, 2012
JT late in season can be frustrating. He finds a way to be productive without actually being impactful. Better this season than in some of the past like in 2021 and 2022, but I feel like you have to be careful with him.
As long as he continues to bring it in the playoffs I will take it. It's also funny because no matter what he looks like his numbers are almost always there at the end of the year, he's been that way since juniors.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It makes sense to have interest. I would assume Holmberg would be the one going to the Marlies to make it fit if it's something that happens soon, although I think he's been very good and deserves to stick at the NHL level.

Perry will have also have to take a very cheap contract compared to the 4M cap hit he had with Chicago. Leafs will need every penny of cap space for a defenseman at some point.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Perry is the kind of player that if you go into a tough series or a very tough road building, he's going to show up and bring others into the fight.

He goes to the dirty areas where so many big goals are scored and makes life difficult for opposing goalies because he's always around their crease causing havoc.

Haven't watched him at all this season with Chicago, so have no idea where his level is at but if he still can keep up 5v5. he's definitely the type of player this group could use once the playoffs start and the game becomes more of a grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad