Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Perry is the kind of player that if you go into a tough series or a very tough road building, he's going to show up and bring others into the fight.

He goes to the dirty areas where so many big goals are scored and makes life difficult for opposing goalies because he's always around their crease causing havoc.

Haven't watched him at all this season with Chicago, so have no idea where his level is at but if he still can keep up 5v5. he's definitely the type of player this group could use once the playoffs start and the game becomes more of a grind.

He's really good around the net still. He can make plays and he's strong on the puck. He's not fast or the same player he was 10 years ago but he's a useful veteran that can give you 12ish minutes unlike Ryan Reaves.

He's really not a physical player either, he's a rat that does throw the odd hit with rat antics. He's kinda like Domi in that aspect. Perry had 48 hits in 81 games for the Lightning in the regular season last year, although 10 hits in 6 games against the Leafs in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
This isn't surprising, Leafs and Perry have had mutual interest for years actually. Dubas actually picked Simmonds over him (Perry was willing to sign), then Perry helps eliminate us in the playoffs a few months later lol.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This isn't surprising, Leafs and Perry have had mutual interest for years actually. Dubas actually picked Simmonds over him (Perry was willing to sign), then Perry helps eliminate us in the playoffs a few months later lol.
Seems the interest was one way, not mutual.
Not to say it may not be mutual now.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t mind Perry, 1x1 deal. He’d be an upgrade on McMann, Holmberg and Gregor.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I wouldn’t mind Perry, 1x1 deal. He’d be an upgrade on McMann, Holmberg and Gregor.

Gregor is 4th among forwards in PK time which perry wont cover he's the last person who should come out were already the 21st worst PK in the league. we should actually look to improve that aspect at the deadline and bring in a move defensively responsible option upfront. this is an aspect imo this team has neglected and we've paid the price for it. gone from 12th last year to currently 21st

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Perry @2m
Hanifin 50% w extension in place for 1st, 3rd, Timmins, Niemela

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Domi - Perry
McMann/Gregor - Kampf - Robertson

Rielly - Brodie
Hanifin - Liljegren
Benoit/Gio - McCabe

Woll
Jones

For playoffs

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I think Knies might get dealt if Brad is getting a Dman with term.

Knies
1rst
Cap Dump (Brodie)
That’s 6+ million

For

???

Something like (Murphy/Dickinson) from Chicago.

• Wow
Reactions: LeafSteel

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The more I think about it, the more I think Knies might get dealt if Brad is getting a Dman with term.

Knies
1rst
Cap Dump (Brodie)
That’s 6+ million

For

???

That won't do much for next season's cap though when Brodie is out of contract and Knies is still on his ELC. The trade practically becomes a neutral move because the step forward made with the added d-man signed to term is essentially cancelled out by removing an affordable contributor from the top six up front who can't be easily replaced.

Reactions: arso40

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I would love to see Perry on the Leafs.

He's a proper menace in the playoffs once he's invested. A player who understands the emotions of a playoff series and how to win those psychological swings in a 7-game battle.

It's an underrated quality Perry has had since his early 20s.

Reactions: weems and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Gregor is 4th among forwards in PK time which perry wont cover he's the last person who should come out were already the 21st worst PK in the league. we should actually look to improve that aspect at the deadline and bring in a move defensively responsible option upfront. this is an aspect imo this team has neglected and we've paid the price for it. gone from 12th last year to currently 21st
Holmberg better on pk really didn’t even like the gregor signing rather have promoted someone from marlies to me he’s a poor man’s kapanen but he’s a left shot I wouldnt miss him the other two have playoff body’s and play a better 4th line game gregor has the speed though

He’s also part of the reason it wasn’t soo good he’s not in our top 4 for pk unit anymore

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Knies
1rst
Cap Dump (Brodie)
That’s 6+ million

For

Bedard

Fixed it for you.

……. And I know that package doesn’t sniff Bedard.

Reactions: Buds17 and arso40

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Hilarious.

Just trying to say I think if we are ever going to get a good Dman with term it’s gonna cost a lot.

Seen tons of crap where we post:

Robertson
2nd

For a stud top 4 RD
Posting crap in the opposite direction doesn't make the situation even, it makes you look exactly like the people youre calling out.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Hilarious.

Just trying to say I think if we are ever going to get a good Dman with term it’s gonna cost a lot.

Seen tons of crap where we post:

Robertson
2nd

For a stud top 4 RD

Usually it involes a 1st and Minten, doesn't it? Think that's a lot closer to the going rate for someone under 28.

What do you think we would have had to pay for Drysdale (hypothetically)? I wonder how much better of a prospect Cutter Gauthier is than Minten in terms of additional value?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Holmberg better on pk really didn’t even like the gregor signing rather have promoted someone from marlies to me he’s a poor man’s kapanen but he’s a left shot I wouldnt miss him the other two have playoff body’s and play a better 4th line game gregor has the speed though

He’s also part of the reason it wasn’t soo good he’s not in our top 4 for pk unit anymore

I agree but that's my point, he's the best we have and were already terrible where we should be looking to get him off the PK because we have someone better there.

in the games he's played in January Gregor only had 10 less seconds per game then Marner on the PK so he's still there when playing.

PPGA/per 60

Jarnkrok - 10.23
Kampf - 9.84
Nylander - 9.75
Marner - 9.10
Gregor - 6.50

looking at the best team Kopitar and Danualt are in the 5's and Doughty is 2.07 while averaging 2:21 on the PK per game thats increadible.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Posting crap in the opposite direction doesn't make the situation even, it makes you look exactly like the people youre calling out.

It was essentially hypothetical (not well thought out). I was just hoping to have discussion about what Knies and a first with cap dumps would fetch.

Since you are all knowing - please throw some deals out. What should Brad do to get a Dman? Or just go with status quo?

Usually it involes a 1st and Minten, doesn't it? Think that's a lot closer to the going rate for someone under 28.

What do you think we would have had to pay for Drysdale (hypothetically)? I wonder how much better of a prospect Cutter Gauthier is than Minten in terms of additional value?

I personally believe that under no circumstance should we be trading Minten or Cowan. We need centres. JT is old and there no one else in the pipeline.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I speculated a page or so back on what that kind of deal looks like for the Leafs, with Minten in particular.

I started looking through the '19, '20, and '21 drafts for defencemen who were promising, but for whatever reason, they've become a bit of a surplus (like Drysdale).

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It was essentially hypothetical (not well thought out). I was just hoping to have discussion about what Knies and a first with cap dumps would fetch.

Since you are all knowing - please throw some deals out. What should Brad do to get a Dman? Or just go with status quo?
I'm in agreement with you (I think) in that i dont think we should be moving a 1st + or Knies + or both for anyone without term but if youre using a good defenceman (brodie is literally on our top pairing) as a cap dump when he only has 4 months left on his contract and thinking you need a first and knies to get another 30 year old bottom 4 dman and a 28 year old third line winger whos a UFA and never had more than 30 points.

So we downgrade at wing long term (Knies is already on pace for 34 points, still on his ELC and is objectively better than Dickinson), get a slight upgrade value wise defensively, get to add an additional first round pick and lose our ELC top line wingers contract for next season with 0 replacement.

Great.

If thats the price you want to put out there my target would be Andersson and I feel that still might be an overpay.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I agree but that's my point, he's the best we have and were already terrible where we should be looking to get him off the PK because we have someone better there.

in the games he's played in January Gregor only had 10 less seconds per game then Marner on the PK so he's still there when playing.

PPGA/per 60

Jarnkrok - 10.23
Kampf - 9.84
Nylander - 9.75
Marner - 9.10
Gregor - 6.50

looking at the best team Kopitar and Danualt are in the 5's and Doughty is 2.07 while averaging 2:21 on the PK per game thats increadible.
What year is that ? This year?? I don’t get those stats how’s his the lowest and there’s no way this month he averages anywhere close to marner after the 3 game losing streak I haven’t even seen him on the pk much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad