2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
He looked better than I expected, he has a head for the game along with good size and skating. If he manages to work on his offense he could be a useful player.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
He looked better than I expected, he has a head for the game along with good size and skating. If he manages to work on his offense he could be a useful player.

I don't really know who to compare him to, he's sort of got some Bergeron to him but demonstrated a bit more flair for creating off the rush than I expected.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
What a pleasant surprise this kid has been. This is what it feels like to get a steal in the draft after witnessing years of other teams selecting impact players after our picks.

This kid always had boom potential, he's got just the right attributes for a player to separate himself in todays game. Extremely smart, good hands, feet and always in the right position. Love that he trains with Wyatt Johnson in the off season, what a player to surround yourself with.

Hopefully he is afforded the opportunity to expand his offensive game with a even a bigger role in London this year. If that part of his game flourishes, as is expected, I wouldn't be surprised if he spring boards Savoie as our best prospect.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Still a big believer in him after Preaseason. This remains a good pick.

I’m not that excited about Savoie though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
likely both are trade chips
Any of our future assets COULD be trade chips. I pick out any one and say it's most likely at this point. There will nearly a full season played by both before they are even considered in trades. Also, the fact that Jackson traded into the 1st round to get O'Reilly and traded Mcleod to get Savoie, I doubt he's looking to cut loose on the prospects him and his Scouting director targeted.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why would you not be excited for Matt Savoie? He had a decent camp and he's started off his first game in the AHL strong
I think there's a player there, but don't think he showed enough for me to be "excited" about. I was expecting more.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
I know Savoie is in the AHL but it’s interesting the two players (Benson and Kulich) cited as the reason the Sabres could move on from him aren’t exactly tearing it up.

It's at the point where outside fans start to feel a little badly for them (I can't speak for everyone, but I can't help but feel bad for them, if a little).

Could be extending their streak without playoffs, only a bit of promise to show for it, so far.

Reactions: North

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Any of our future assets COULD be trade chips. I pick out any one and say it's most likely at this point. There will nearly a full season played by both before they are even considered in trades. Also, the fact that Jackson traded into the 1st round to get O'Reilly and traded Mcleod to get Savoie, I doubt he's looking to cut loose on the prospects him and his Scouting director targeted.
Action Jackson upped the value of his 1st, that's plain to see.

He took a gamble and so far it's paid off. If the Oilers want to trade for a difference making RD they will be competing against several teams in a bidding war, all parties offering a shitload of futures. The Oilers will have to top them all.

Calgary probably won't even trade with the Oilers going by history. The record demonstrates beyond a reasonable doubt the NHL is a conspiracy league.

I wonder. Jackson said they wanted to rebuild the farm. I get that we want to go "all in" but there's got to be at least a little balance, and there can be other good pieces to trade
If you want a difference maker at the deadline, that probably takes retention, specifically if they plan on placing Kane on LTIR after transaction number 1 takes place utilizing the advantage of accrued IR money... then loading up for transaction number 2.

Oilers will have to find teams willing to retain salary. That's going to cost big time particularly if they are looking for a player with term.

Point is the Oilers aren't going to get something for nothing and teams aren't lining up to help the Oilers out. The offer sheets and the waiver wire transactions should make it perfectly clear that the Oil are enemy number one in the NHL. With a bullet.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Action Jackson upped the value of his 1st, that's plain to see.

He took a gamble and so far it's paid off. If the Oilers want to trade for a difference making RD they will be competing against several teams in a bidding war, all parties offering a shitload of futures. The Oilers will have to top them all.

Calgary probably won't even trade with the Oilers going by history. The record demonstrates beyond a reasonable doubt the NHL is a conspiracy league.

If you want a difference maker at the deadline, that probably takes retention, specifically if they plan on placing Kane on LTIR after transaction number 1 takes place utilizing the advantage of accrued IR money... then loading up for transaction number 2.

Oilers will have to find teams willing to retain salary. That's going to cost big time particularly if they are looking for a player with term.

Point is the Oilers aren't going to get something for nothing and teams aren't lining up to help the Oilers out. The offer sheets and the waiver wire transactions should make it perfectly clear that the Oil are enemy number one in the NHL. With a bullet.
But if the point was to trade the asset, wouldn't it make more sense to just trade the pick that they used to get O'Reilly? Teams tend to value those more.

It seems like the plan is to keep him. But sure, of course if there was some golden trade and they just needed O'Reilly, we could trade him. But, we are talking like adding Schafer to the Ekholm trade.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I know Savoie is in the AHL but it’s interesting the two players (Benson and Kulich) cited as the reason the Sabres could move on from him aren’t exactly tearing it up.
They will produce once they get traded to the Oilers for a cap casualty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad