Tavares, what are you doing? Endorsements?

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The real issue is spreading the use of pseudo-medical products and information.

John can lather himself in guacamole if he thinks that will give him an advantage, but when these products are available for public consumption, it becomes another issue.
But the issue is not Tavares or him doing an advertisement for it. Don't like the product don't buy it. Think it is a danger to society on a whole let your local MP know. This government loves to police anything that can be classified as false information or psuedo science. But it does not change the stance that him, his family or the hockey organization have nothing to be "embarrassed" about amd this post should not even be made.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If he keeps getting these deals and signs for 900K his next deal, he can have advertisements with whomever he wants lool

Dude is slow and cooked but at 1-2M he can give you PP net front pffense and a solid 3rd line winger

Dont give him another payday is all
I don't sign him mid season, best to wait, see how much he's regressing. He isn't walking now, just play it out, it's unlikely he over achieves this year. He can't afford to "lose a step", and he can be replaced on the PP with a Knies for example. Love JT, but don't over pay him, he ain't worth 5.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Let me guess, you're one of those flakes that believe in this crap.
LEt me guess your one of those people that pass judgement on everyone that does share your point of view.
You know nothing about me yet you are ready to do that. Worry about yourself and your over inflated sense of entiltlement that you have.

For the record I do not believe in this technology or even care about it. IF I want to block 5G signals all I need is my current Rogers account and phone as it never seems to have more than on bar at any one time in the middle of Etobicoke. You want a place to channel your overblown sense of outrage at injustices aim it at the big telecom providers who chage the highest rates in the world while providing garbage service.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
But the issue is not Tavares or him doing an advertisement for it. Don't like the product don't buy it. Think it is a danger to society on a whole let your local MP know. This government loves to police anything that can be classified as false information or psuedo science. But it does not change the stance that him, his family or the hockey organization have nothing to be "embarrassed" about amd this post should not even be made.
I mean, that's fine for you, but people will buy this because of him and the brand association with the Leafs, and frankly, it is embarrassing. Not as much for the club because that's not their job to find these opportunities for the players, but definitely for him and whoever is connecting him to these people.

Especially considering he doesn't need the money; he's just coming off a $77m contract that, due to its structure, avoided quite a lot of taxation to boot.

I don't mind the players seeking these endorsements, but make sure they're reputable and medically proven and not backed by a grifting sex pest in the case of his amulet.

Jun 27, 2005
Worry about yourself and your over inflated sense of entiltlement that you have.
I'll simplify for it you. Tavares is a role model to a lot kids. Promoting this sort of nonsense might give kids the impression that it's real. This has nothing to do with my entitlement it's about Tavares being an unethical and pathetic role model.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He should join up with one of those wholesome gambling sites the league likes to push.

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The red light therapy stuff isn't as bad, although it's not necessarily definitively proven with hard science there's some conflicting studies on it showing efficacy and if he seems to genuinely believe in it and use it to support his recovery and performance then whatever, even if it's a placebo if it gives him any kind of edge then so be it, he wouldn't be the first athlete going down that road.

The amulet crap though is genuinely embarrassing and in the same vein as healing crystals and reiki and all that junk... not a good look.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean, that's fine for you, but people will buy this because of him and the brand association with the Leafs, and frankly, it is embarrassing. Not as much for the club because that's not their job to find these opportunities for the players, but definitely for him and whoever is connecting him to these people.

Especially considering he doesn't need the money; he's just coming off a $77m contract that, due to its structure, avoided quite a lot of taxation to boot.

I don't mind the players seeking these endorsements, but make sure they're reputable and medically proven and not backed by a grifting sex pest in the case of his amulet.

Are there any studies that support EMF blocking? (clueless here).

Also, it is crazy to see how many people are upset with a potentially (and likely) useless product being pushed over something like Wheaties which is bad for people's health.

I'd rather Tavares push something weird like this than McDavid pushing betting sites (BetMGM).

The selective outrage is weird here... And for the record, I think this is a stupid endorsement.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'd rather Tavares push something weird like this than McDavid pushing betting sites (BetMGM).
For the record, I hate this too and I hate that it has infiltrated every pro sport. Makes me appreciate someone like Sid who doesn't endorse shit like this and keeps a non-controversial low profile.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I haven't looked at it a bunch but I don't think red light therapy is as dubious as the amulet.

I'd personally never buy one but I don't understand why some people (not necessarily the ones in this thread) get so bothered by stuff like this.

The vast majority of us are consumers, if people want to buy stupid stuff it's their choice.

There are way worse "scams" in the form of political and cultural discourse today that harm people on a much larger scale imo.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I know nothing can ever be normal with this team, but former captain hawking pseudo-science amulet was NOT on my bingo card for this season.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
People get so worked up over new age junk. They protest like the pillars of society are going to collapse.

My boss gave me a rock because I was getting pissy at work. Now I look at it when I am about to rage and picture him firing me, I become instantly more calm. The healing powers of holistic rock collecting has balanced my inner spirit animal.

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
Tavares is likely aware that he is going to have to take a massive pay cut if he wants to remain a leaf, so I would assume this would be the primary reason he endorses such a questionable product...

What's weirder to me is Matthews choosing to endorse Prime Hydration in his prime (no pun intended) while also being the highest paid player in the NHL. I guess it is never enough for some people.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Are there any studies that support EMF blocking? (clueless here).

Also, it is crazy to see how many people are upset with a potentially (and likely) useless product being pushed over something like Wheaties which is bad for people's health.

The selective outrage is weird here... And for the record, I think this is a stupid endorsement.
People love to bitch, moan and judge. It doesn’t matter how ridiculous or trivial the subject is, there’s no way they’re passing up an opportunity to engage in the joy it brings them.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
This is absolutely embarassing. Get this f***ing moron and his insane QANON conspiracy theories off the team. Anybody here who believes in this nonsense needs to see a psychiatrist immediately.

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad