2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Interesting to look at London's scoring production. O'Reilly finished ninth with 56 points but only 11 PP which is 20% of total production. Only one guy ahead of him Max McCue who's three years older had 21% of his points via PP while everyone else was 30% and higher.

Easton Cowan had basically the same production in his draft eligible year 20G 33A 53Pts who bumped to 96 Pts this season on the Knights wagon team. There may be latent offensive production as O'Reilly gets more minutes and prospectively more power play time as London graduates players. Good motor, strong defensive game and intensity. Will be interesting to see how/if more scoring follows. But if they get a quality hard areas 3C out of this I'd be happy.
I watched Cowan play quite a bit last year and this year. Was jealous that the Oilers didn't draft him. O'Reilly is looking like Cowan 2.0 so I'm thrilled with the pick.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I watched Cowan play quite a bit last year and this year. Was jealous that the Oilers didn't draft him. O'Reilly is looking like Cowan 2.0 so I'm thrilled with the pick.
Good to hear! Thanks for your first hand observations. I haven't seen the players live, only a peak at some Memorial Cup games. The raw numbers look similar. Cowan took a big jump production wise in his draft eligible playoffs, then big jump as a driver on this Knights Mem Cup team. Will be interesting to see how/if O-Reilly's offensive numbers progress next season with more ice-time and likely specialty time. Favorable if he builds another level to go with strong, engaged defensive play.

Seeing some player type comps to Laughton and Danault is hopeful as those are the exact player types the Oil could use in their middle line-up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reminds me of the Tyler Pitlick pick, hope this one goes differently.
Pitlick had 4 things going for him, he was big, he was fast, he was physical and he had a hard shot.

Based on what little I've seen of O'Reilly he has a lot more going for him. He doesn't have that same level of tope end speed or as hard of a shot, not sure how hard he hits, etc. That said he is a good passer, good finisher, has a high hockey IQ, has good vision, plays a gritty style, goes to the areas to score (like Hyman), knows how to find passing lanes, the list goes on and on. Add in that he's a hard working kid and who really knows what his upside could be? If he can get faster and stronger and add a more dynamic element to his skating and shooting the sky is the limit for this kid. If not then you still have a forward that you can trust and can chip in in all areas of the game, like a grittier RNH.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
All he needs to do is add size and strength. Should add more power to his skating and shot.

Other than that, this kid is the complete package already cause his game is driven by high hockey IQ. You can tell he’s a quick thinker out there. And it helps in all areas of his game. He’s awesome defensively as it is, and as his tools strengthen up the elite offence will come for a player this smart.

Now that I’ve watched him. I love this pick. Absolutely love it. Didn’t like the XB or Yamo picks, but this O Reilly kid is a player. No doubt in my mind.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
All he needs to do is add size and strength. Should add more power to his skating and shot.

Other than that, this kid is the complete package already cause his game is driven by high hockey IQ. You can tell he’s a quick thinker out there. And it helps in all areas of his game. He’s awesome defensively as it is, and as his tools strengthen up the elite offence will come for a player this smart.

Now that I’ve watched him. I love this pick. Absolutely love it. Didn’t like the XB or Yamo picks, but this O Reilly kid is a player. No doubt in my mind.
I didn’t mind the XB pick, it’s his time in the AHL that has been disappointing. Covid made scouting hard that year but if I knew Coffey was batting for his guy I would have listened to him

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Right yeh. Speaking of Wyatt. Sam's got great IQ just like Wyatt.
I really do think XB skills will translate to the nhl eventually. I always liked XB more than mavrik bourque in my viewings of that team those two draft years. I just don’t see much opportunities for XB to crack a championship caliber squad as an offensive first player as a rookie

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I really do think XB skills will translate to the nhl eventually. I always liked XB more than mavrik bourque in my viewings of that team those two draft years. I just don’t see much opportunities for XB to crack a championship caliber squad as an offensive first player as a rookie
I feel like he needs more skill to be the type of player that he is. But here's hoping.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Pitlick had 4 things going for him, he was big, he was fast, he was physical and he had a hard shot.

Based on what little I've seen of O'Reilly he has a lot more going for him. He doesn't have that same level of tope end speed or as hard of a shot, not sure how hard he hits, etc. That said he is a good passer, good finisher, has a high hockey IQ, has good vision, plays a gritty style, goes to the areas to score (like Hyman), knows how to find passing lanes, the list goes on and on. Add in that he's a hard working kid and who really knows what his upside could be? If he can get faster and stronger and add a more dynamic element to his skating and shooting the sky is the limit for this kid. If not then you still have a forward that you can trust and can chip in in all areas of the game, like a grittier RNH.
I was really happy with the Pitlick pick just to clarify so I'm very happy with this pick.That combined with the great things I've heard about Sam (from a Knights season ticket holder) and seeing him play myself granted I was paying more attention to Cowan. I'm looking forward to watching him live for a few more years too.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He really does look like a good pick at #32.

The only legit criticism is that the pick could have been used to get a player that can help now like Henrique but they're likely just a rental.

These are the kind of gambles that a contender has to make and that's why I'm okay with it.

I wonder if the Oilers were willing to take this shot because they were confident they could re-sign Henrique.

Injuries happen, and upgrades are always welcome, but at least for next season the Oilers' top 9 and top 4 look fairly set if they can get Henrique to sign.

As for O'Reilly? I got time for the player. Reminds a bit of non-peak/early LA-era Mike Richards.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Kid looks like he protects the puck really well and has good vision and hockey IQ. Always in good spaces on the ice and able to use his puck protection to find teammates open. Looks like a mature game player that could make an impact sooner than later.

Agreed, which is why the Pitlick comp by earlier post confused me. Not even remotely the same player. Flashes of skill and very projectable positive contributor. Has a lot of things that can't be taught or registers late in a lot of players/prospects. Excellent motor/high compete level, excellent give and goes, along with a lot of the strengths you had mentioned.

Combined with the fact that he'll be getting a lot more touches, opportunity in his D+1 year, he'll make for a fun prospect to track. Here's to hoping we land the steal of the draft.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kid looks like he protects the puck really well and has good vision and hockey IQ. Always in good spaces on the ice and able to use his puck protection to find teammates open. Looks like a mature game player that could make an impact sooner than later.
Type of player who can transition from junior to pro usually quite well. Glad that he’s in London too as they do good work preparing guys to be pros.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting. If he has a good season he might be worth more than the pick we traded would be. Could the management be that smart?
It’s a risk cause there is no guarantee he has a good season and isn’t just another Schaefer.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
hopefully the oilers set him up with the same skating coach drai worked with after his draft year, will be a great replacement for holloway when holloway eventually takes over hymans role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad