Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
If we still suck this season, it's going to be awfully tempting to hope for another meh offseason and new season in 2025-2026, because that's the Gavin McKenna draft... Already a thread on the mains on who's going to tank in that season. :D

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
If we still suck this season, it's going to be awfully tempting to hope for another meh offseason and new season in 2025-2026, because that's the Gavin McKenna draft... Already a thread on the mains on who's going to tank in that season. :D
I really hope we aren't out of it again by the Christmas break. I have no illusions that we are a playoff team but it we have a top 5 pick again without lottery help then I would this season is another page in the book of the underperforming CBJ.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
What a waste of the talented young players on the roster that would be.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I really wish we would do something about the Elvis (i also know DW is going to try and resurrect Elvis).

I know it's already been said but I feel the CBJ goalie tandem is one of the bigger issues facing this team. Just my opinion but I feel Elvis is a locker room distraction, health and 2nd half play is a big red flag. Tarasov is good at times but is ouchy quite a bit as well.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I really wish we would do something about the Elvis (i also know DW is going to try and resurrect Elvis).

I know it's already been said but I feel the CBJ goalie tandem is one of the bigger issues facing this team. Just my opinion but I feel Elvis is a locker room distraction, health and 2nd half play is a big red flag. Tarasov is good at times but is ouchy quite a bit as well.
I can imagine that accounting becoming my daughter's favorite subject. But Elvis' trade... even my imagination has its limits. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If we’re factoring Laine into the equation (as in, we’re unable to trade him this offseason) our forward roster is essentially set already.

(just throwing lines together to show the roster, pay the lines no mind)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Laine-Fantilli-Chinakhov
Voronkov-Jenner-Johnson
Sillinger-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

And as far as defense, we only (appear) to have two roster spots open

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-xx
xx-Gudbranson
Johnson

Now it makes a lot of sense for these two roster spots to be occupied by Jiricek and potentially one of Christiansen and Mateychuk. Given waddell’s comments though, it seems pretty likely Mateychuk starts in Cleveland. They also view Christiansen highly enough that they gave him a QO rather than letting him walk like Bean (I know that was for monetary reasons) or Blanks (I know, not a RFA).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Apologies if this has been done, but here's the off-season recap so far...

-Don Waddell hired, JD moved out to advisory role
-Pascal Vincent fired
-Alex Texier traded
-Adam Boqvist bought out
-RFAs not tendered - Bean, Blankenburg, Nylander
-Lindstrom drafted at #4
-Monahan signed to 5x5.5 deal
-Jack Johnson signed to 1 year, league min deal

Still need a coach (possibly a new assistant as well). Still need resolution on the Laine situation.

A mid off-season so far, imo. Maybe a new coach/ing staff will help with the development. Otherwise, for the most part, it looks like we just cleared out a lot of spare parts.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
If we’re factoring Laine into the equation (as in, we’re unable to trade him this offseason) our forward roster is essentially set already.

(just throwing lines together to show the roster, pay the lines no mind)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Laine-Fantilli-Chinakhov
Voronkov-Jenner-Johnson
Sillinger-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

And as far as defense, we only (appear) to have two roster spots open

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-xx
xx-Gudbranson
Johnson

Now it makes a lot of sense for these two roster spots to be occupied by Jiricek and potentially one of Christiansen and Mateychuk. Given waddell’s comments though, it seems pretty likely Mateychuk starts in Cleveland. They also view Christiansen highly enough that they gave him a QO rather than letting him walk like Bean (I know that was for monetary reasons) or Blanks (I know, not a RFA).
Disregarding your suggestion to ignore the lines: in this scenario, I wonder if Chinakhov wouldn't be better suited with Monahan and Gaudreau. I remember reading somewhere that he basically always shoots from a distance and that Monahan's bread and butter is picking up rebounds. That sounds like it could be a good combination.

Continuing the discussion previously about the return of a Laine trade, I am wondering if the best case isn't a two-way forward (the dream would be someone like William Karlsson, but I'm not holding my breath on that one) capable of playing with Gaudreau and Monahan that can do the defensive work. Perhaps Provorov (with retention so that CBJ might get some additional picks) can then be traded for a defensive D like Ryan Lindgren so that the young guys each get an experienced and defensively responsible linemate. With some addition depth of course added, then the lines (centres and wingers obviously interchangeable) would be something like:

Gaudreau - Monahan - 2WF
Jenner - Fantilli - Marchenko
K. Johnson - Voronkov - Chinakhov
Kuraly - Sillinger - Olivier/Danforth/Brindley

Werenski - Severson
Lindgren - Jiricek
Mateychuk/Christiansen - Gudbranson
J. Johnson

Merzlikins
Tarasov

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Apologies if this has been done, but here's the off-season recap so far...

-Don Waddell hired, JD moved out to advisory role
-Pascal Vincent fired
-Alex Texier traded
-Adam Boqvist bought out
-RFAs not tendered - Bean, Blankenburg, Nylander
-Lindstrom drafted at #4
-Monahan signed to 5x5.5 deal
-Jack Johnson signed to 1 year, league min deal

Still need a coach (possibly a new assistant as well). Still need resolution on the Laine situation.

A mid off-season so far, imo. Maybe a new coach/ing staff will help with the development. Otherwise, for the most part, it looks like we just cleared out a lot of spare parts.
Only correction is that Blanks was a UFA, not RFA. There was no QO involved in his case.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Unfortunately, this team looks like it’s headed for another bottom-5 finish. Maybe we’ll take a step forward next offseason :(

I'm so disappointed that none of the young players from last year will get any better this year. In fact it sounds like they are all going to score less and take a step backwards. That's a real bummer...

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm so disappointed that none of the young players from last year will get any better this year. In fact it sounds like they are all going to score less and take a step backwards. That's a real bummer...
They can all improve greatly and the team still finish bottom five because the team doesn't exist in a vacuum. Every other team in the league also has young players improving. Every other team in the league made good FA signings and let go of dead weight. There is no team obviously tanking this year like most of the last decade. Shit, even San Jose should be better. The Blue Jackets did not improve enough to leapfrog anyone.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They can all improve greatly and the team still finish bottom five because the team doesn't exist in a vacuum. Every other team in the league also has young players improving. Every other team in the league made good FA signings and let go of dead weight. There is no team obviously tanking this year like most of the last decade. Shit, even San Jose should be better. The Blue Jackets did not improve enough to leapfrog anyone.
So the only team for which the season is fixed is the Jackets? Everyone else could improve just based on momentum or the rotation of the earth or whatever but the CBJ did not do enough to leapfrog anyone?

Reactions: Xoggz22

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
You mean like Anaheim and San Jose?
Are you confused how words work? Yes. And like Detroit, Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, Chicago, Calgary, Seattle, Utah, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, who all very definitely made moves to keep pace. Many of whom are better already and made moves to be even better still. Which of those teams do you see the Jackets being better than with a defense made of Werenski plus a Pandora’s box of children and failures, an untradeable headcase goalie, a forward lineup of unproven kids and washed up former Flames, with a likely new coach who hates playing young players (as all three front runners have been accused of by former fanbases)? The Jackets can be “better” than they were in April 2024 and still not move in the standings at all.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Are you confused how words work? Yes. And like Detroit, Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, Chicago, Calgary, Seattle, Utah, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, who all very definitely made moves to keep pace. Many of whom are better already and made moves to be even better still. Which of those teams do you see the Jackets being better than with a defense made of Werenski plus a Pandora’s box of children and failures, an untradeable headcase goalie, a forward lineup of unproven kids and washed up former Flames, with a likely new coach who hates playing young players (as all three front runners have been accused of by former fanbases)? The Jackets can be “better” than they were in April 2024 and still not move in the standings at all.
Jesus Christ, you are acting like they signed nobodies. Monahan was probably the best they could do and he is a perfect fit. He can fill in the top C role for 1-2 season until Fantilli is completely ready to take the spot, then another season or two at 2C until Lindstrom is ready.He solidifies the middle until the kids are ready. D-Wad said he didn't want to rush anyone and Monahan allows the kids time to develop. Calling him or Johnny washed up is very disingenuous. The defense needs work, but I think that is going to get sorted out in a Laine trade and yes Elvis is a head case. Remember this franchise was throw a curveball when out supposed to be No. 1 center wanted out for reasons. After that the team was behind the 8 ball and fell further behind when 3 coaching hires backfired. (TBF, look at the guys who was hired when Larsen was, they all suck.) We have new people in charge, with a new coach coming in. Let the dust settle and let things stabilize before we go off the deep end.

Reactions: CBJ goalie

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Jesus Christ, you are acting like they signed nobodies. Monahan was probably the best they could do and he is a perfect fit. He can fill in the top C role for 1-2 season until Fantilli is completely ready to take the spot, then another season or two at 2C until Lindstrom is ready.He solidifies the middle until the kids are ready. D-Wad said he didn't want to rush anyone and Monahan allows the kids time to develop. Calling him or Johnny washed up is very disingenuous. The defense needs work, but I think that is going to get sorted out in a Laine trade and yes Elvis is a head case. Remember this franchise was throw a curveball when out supposed to be No. 1 center wanted out for reasons. After that the team was behind the 8 ball and fell further behind when 3 coaching hires backfired. (TBF, look at the guys who was hired when Larsen was, they all suck.) We have new people in charge, with a new coach coming in. Let the dust settle and let things stabilize before we go off the deep end.
I went into last season expecting 80 points. It felt logical for the new defense, growth of young players, hope for fewer injuries, and Elvis being another year removed from tragedy. Then they so wildly underperformed even that expectation that the baseline is now 65 points. If it could go wrong for the franchise, it did. But even 80 points would have been last in the division and seventh worst in the league.

There’s plenty to be hopeful about, but the outlook next season is still grim.

And yes, they did sign nobodies. Monahan is overpaid by at least two years and two million, considering how much time he’s missed the last few years. One season of 83 games doesn’t mean anything. Maybe it’ll work out but it’s more likely it won’t. The only other moves were a literal AHLer and 38yo Jack Johnson. I don’t actually dislike either signing, but lets not pretend signing a corpse and Johnny’s bff are moving the needle.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad