Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Bringing back JT is fine at the right price but you need to consider he’s more of a 3C, maybe 4C going forward and make other roster choices accordingly
I think the teams needs to add a 3C, but until JT shows he can't handle 2C I'm not sure why the Leafs need to consider that he's suddenly a 3C. Elite players age differently than everyone else and I wouldn't be surprised if JT was a capable 2C late into his career.

the other thing to consider is will JT relinquish the captaincy and still come back. Id rather he not come back if he's not willing to wear an A or no letter at all
If you knew anything about what kind of pro JT is or how well respected he is in that room you would never mention this. He is keeping the C as he should. There is a reason he has been the captain of the only two teams he's ever played for, no one works harder or pays greater attention to their craft on this team, and it's not even close.

Reactions: meefer

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He's not a Kampf replacement. Totally different usage.
How are they totally different usage? Just because Team Canada used him on the wing in the top six doesn’t mean anything, if anything he was extremely misused and should have probably been on the 4th line with Danielson and Beck in an energy, physical, defensive 4th line.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
How are they totally different usage? Just because Team Canada used him on the wing in the top six doesn’t mean anything, if anything he was extremely misused and should have probably been on the 4th line with Danielson and Beck in an energy, physical, defensive 4th line.
Nope, it's because of the way they use Kampf as a defensive foil to Matthews and Tavares' line to ensure that they get as many OZS as possible and leave the DZS to Kampf.

Also, as they found out against Carolina when they went Galaxy brain and scratched him, well, wouldn't you know the PK suffered because he's quite a good PKer.

This isn't the best way to break Minten into the league, and expecting him to be as good as Kampf at those things is unrealistic, in my opinion. For his own development as well, a top 6 role with as much offensive responsibility with the Marlies is the much better way to go.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think the teams needs to add a 3C, but until JT shows he can't handle 2C I'm not sure why the Leafs need to consider that he's suddenly a 3C. Elite players age differently than everyone else and I wouldn't be surprised if JT was a capable 2C late into his career.

If you knew anything about what kind of pro JT is or how well respected he is in that room you would never mention this. He is keeping the C as he should. There is a reason he has been the captain of the only two teams he's ever played for, no one works harder or pays greater attention to their craft on this team, and it's not even close.

He's a good player but to be honest, the times it is most obvious is the playoffs. Things are faster and more intense and his lack of foot speed gets exploited. Overall, the foot speed of our top 6 is average.

If he was moved to LW, it is probably easiest to handle but that's just my 2 cents.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
On the topic of which youngster could make next year's team.

The discussion should just not be limited to Minten and Cowan. According to the recent chatter, Grebenkin did not end up extending his contract past this year. So he will be in the conversation.

He was not an option before because we all thought his KHL deal continued for another season.

Minten is not really competing against either Grebenkin or Cowan because he is a C.
But Grebenkin and Cowan could be vying for the same spot.

When comparing Grebenkin and Cowan.... Grebenkin is the older of the 2 and has been playing in the more competitive league. He is also the most versatile in that he can play on either wing across any of the 4 lines. He is more akin to a "Knies" type player.

I think Grebenkin's availability actually makes it less likely that Cowan makes the jump next year.

And I like to reiterate that for any of these youngsters to make the club, one of the wings on the top 3 lines has to actually leave.

Nylander, Marner, Knies, Jarnkok, Robertson... are under contract
If Bertuzzi returtns, there is no opening spot unless one of those 5 players above get moved.

Scion

May 25, 2012
He's a good player but to be honest, the times it is most obvious is the playoffs. Things are faster and more intense and his lack of foot speed gets exploited. Overall, the foot speed of our top 6 is average.

If he was moved to LW, it is probably easiest to handle but that's just my 2 cents.
Depends on the opponent, I actually thought the game was slower against TB, and obviously quicker against Florida because they are one of the best skating teams in the league. Either way, I thought Tavares was good in both series.

Also contrary to popular opinion, a lack of footspeed shows up more on the wing where you are expected to get in on the forecheck and disrupt the opponents from cleanly retrieving the puck and exiting with control. Centers by comparison play F3 and can typically get by with good positioning, awareness and an active stick. The Leafs also play a 1-3-1 NZ forecheck so Tavares will almost always have help in transition where he is most susceptible against quick strike counter attacks.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What term and aav will it take to sign a guy like Pesce in the offseason? Who's a good comparable? Same question for Tanev.

Pesce has dropped off markedly, I wouldn't offer him a contract and believe 5×5 which I think will be the bottom end of his range has the potential to go bad within a year or two

Tanev is interesting, around 3- 4M over 2 or 3 years would be my best guess

I think Tanev is better buying than Pesce if I'm in the ballpark imo

Damn, this dude could be useful on the 3rd line on an ECL

That would really help the cap numbers

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

The discussion should just not be limited to Minten and Cowan. According to the recent chatter, Grebenkin did not end up extending his contract past this year. So he will be in the conversation.

He was not an option before because we all thought his KHL deal continued for another season.

Minten is not really competing against either Grebenkin or Cowan because he is a C.

When comparing Grebenkin and Cowan.... Grebenkin is the older of the 2 and has been playing in the more competitive league. He is also the most versatile in that he can play on either wing across any of the 4 lines. He is more akin to a "Knies" type player.

I think Grebenkin's availability actually makes it less likely that Cowan makes the jump next year.

And I like to reiterate that for any of these youngsters to make the club, one of the wings on the top 3 lines has to actually leave.

If Bertuzzi returtns, there is no opening spot unless one of those 5 players above get moved.
If this is true, Grebyonkin would definitely be in the conversation for taking a spot in the top 9 next season.

Reactions: arso40

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007

Firstly, I would gather any of Mints, Cowboy or Grebyonkin would have to be lights out in pre season to even have a chance at sniffing a spot in the top 9. And B, I am thinking Nicky Bobby is getting moved. His value has bounced back a bit and he seems not be a Keefe type bottom 6 player.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Depends on the opponent, I actually thought the game was slower against TB, and obviously quicker against Florida because they are one of the best skating teams in the league. Either way, I thought Tavares was good in both series.

Also contrary to popular opinion, a lack of footspeed shows up more on the wing where you are expected to get in on the forecheck and disrupt the opponents from cleanly retrieving the puck and exiting with control. Centers by comparison play F3 and can typically get by with good positioning, awareness and an active stick. The Leafs also play a 1-3-1 NZ forecheck so Tavares will almost always have help in transition where he is most susceptible against quick strike counter attacks.

I thought Nylander looked the best of the bigger guys against Florida but overall, I would lump the other 3 in "did not meet expectations"

I know there would be expectations of being in on the forecheck but that might be more on the 3rd forward there, JT can get to the front of the net well enough but less onus on him being the "3rd defenseman" as a centre in his own zone is probably better for him.

I think we definitely need to place more emphasis on being a faster team overall, it's not just "JT is slow" - nah the team is pretty average at best as a whole and needs to improve. That didn't get talked about enough in the off-season.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Firstly, I would gather any of Mints, Cowboy or Grebyonkin would have to be lights out in pre season to even have a chance at sniffing a spot in the top 9. And B, I am thinking Nicky Bobby is getting moved. His value has bounced back a bit and he seems not be a Keefe type bottom 6 player.
With Matthews and Nylander’s new contracts kicking in next season, the Leafs will definitely need a few ELC on the roster.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

If Robertson gets moved than that is an opening.
But I suspect unless there is a clear deal for a top 4 D, Robertson does not get moved.

The most likely scenario is they use the cap space in the summer to try to balance out the D. If that doesn't work, then they may try to move Robertson or Robertson gets moved at some point because Grebenkin/Cowan are ready.

Also, Minten and Cowan already had very good training camps. Minten initially made the team. So it is not like this an impossible feat. On top of that, we are talking about 3 high level prospect... and the likelihood of ONE of the three making the team.... not all three.

Reactions: tony135420

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
With Matthews and Nylander’s new contracts kicking in next season, the Leafs will definitely need a few ELC on the roster.

There's options

Knies will be cheap
Robertson will be cheap if he's kept
Cowan
Minten
Grebyonkin
The Russian UFA Tsyplakov

You can do the entire 4th line for under 3M if you can get rid of Reeves and Kampf

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There's options

Knies will be cheap
Cowan
Minten
Grebyonkin

You can do the entire 4th line for under 3M if you can get rid of Reeves and Kampf

Pretty necessary at this point.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you can get rid of Reeves, Kampf and Timmins without taking money back filling out the roster isn't that difficult

You don't even need a bunch of ECL'S

I looked at a few deals.

5th and a 7th with Reaves to Chicago for future considerations this off-season, they may want retribution for the Bedard hit next year, he might be a deterrent and the cap *REALLY* doesn't matter to them right now.

We could probably also trade Kampf and Timmins to Nashville in the off-season for a couple of 4ths (different years) - They have Carrier and Barrie leaving with no other RD expected to join any time soon, Schenn and Fabbro (RFA) remain in the organization.

Their centre ice position is also pretty thin, Glass hasn't been good this year, Novak is a UFA but may be retained, Sissons can play C/W.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
There's options

Knies will be cheap
Cowan
Minten
Grebyonkin

If they get Tsyplakov... that is a middle 6 winger. Another player that needs a roster spot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Not sure the Leafs have a fit for him but it could makes sense if, for example, they make a trade for a defenseman and have to include a Robertson or Holmberg or whatever.

I think he'll end up with Dallas or something like that.

Reactions: Kurtz

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure the Leafs have a fit for him but it could makes sense if, for example, they make a trade for a defenseman and have to include a Robertson or Holmberg or whatever.

I think he'll end up with Dallas or something like that.

Personally, I am all aboard the bring in Perry train. I thought we needed a bottom 6 guy and he would actually be useful.

It let's us focus entirely on adding a defenseman now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad