Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I wonder if the new OTT front office might be a bit more ruthless and just do the best deal

If l was them I'd be concentrating on improvement no matter who I'm dealing with
You would certainly hope so. If the Senators do trade Chychrun it will be because they cannot re-sign him, so I suspect he will have some control over his trade destination as any team would want assurances that he will re-sign if they are going to pay a premium.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I wonder if the new OTT front office might be a bit more ruthless and just do the best deal

If l was them I'd be concentrating on improvement no matter who I'm dealing with
My viewpoint as armchair GM is that I'd ideally prefer not to trade an established player within the division if I saw that rival as a big impediment to my team's pursuit of a playoff spot. Of course, OTT did trade DeBrincat to DET.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
To build a legit blueline, we need a #2 and a #3.

Rielly - _______
McCabe - _______ or _______ - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe or Liljegren

Fill those two holes and we’re fine… but those are massive holes…
That's the blueprint I've been working with. The left has good value (particularly playoffs) at 10.5M for the side. R > M > B

Take advantage of that, keep Lily on the right, and max as much cap as you can scrap together for the remaining two slots.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
That's the blueprint I've been working with. The left has good value (particularly playoffs) at 10.5M for the side. R > M > B

Take advantage of that, keep Lily on the right, and max as much cap as you can scrap together for the remaining two slots.
Brodie is 5 mil add to it and we should be fine probably need another 3 mil Samsonov maybe??

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Even if they do you aren't replacing JT's production for less money than it will take to re-sign him. Re-signing JT is a no brainer move because he is the most likely impact player on the roster to take a pay cut to stay.
Complete no brainer. This will be a nice negotiation where JT is going to take what the Leafs decide to give.

Given we have three star forwards and holes elsewhere, his value to the Leafs will be lower than select other teams, and any 'comparables'.

So we end up with a discounted JT, which is great.

Brodie is 5 mil add to it and we should be fine probably need another 3 mil Samsonov maybe??
Sammy is in a weird place not sure we can access that cap but we still have Klings money once we manouver ourselves back to the edge.

Reactions: Scion and arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Complete no brainer. This will be a nice negotiation where JT is going to take what the Leafs decide to give.

Given we have three star forwards and holes elsewhere, his value to the Leafs will be lower than select other teams, and any 'comparables'.

So we end up with a discounted JT, which is great.

Sammy is in a weird place not sure we can access that cap but we still have Klings money once we manouver ourselves back to the edge.
Honestly, I can see JT signing for a deep discount, say 3X$4m.

He’s made his money, he’s on a competitive team, and he’s close to his family. He’s in a very good situation in his life and career, and he gets the need to leave money on the table to have a chance to win a Stanley Cup.

Imagine the chance to Captain your hometown team, and help them win the Stanley Cup? Yes, I see him resigning for a very reasonable deal.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Thoughts on:

Knies
Brodie
McCabe
Sammy
3rd Pick

For
Andersen
Tanev
Vladar

Spent a long time trying to get the money to work.

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

He’s made his money, he’s on a competitive team, and he’s close to his family. He’s in a very good situation in his life and career, and he gets the need to leave money on the table to have a chance to win a Stanley Cup.

Imagine the chance to Captain your hometown team, and help them win the Stanley Cup? Yes, I see him resigning for a very reasonable deal.
JT can drive the bus and push the price to the bottom if thats what hes up for. Although I'm not sure what pressures their are from nhlpa, agents, etc. So there may be a realistic floor.

But if he takes a casual approach I reckon the Leafs do pay him as much as they can make work but that will be low. I'd spitball around five milly but a lot can change by then.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

would agree with this sentiment, I think he's played really well this year on a bad team

Biggest issue is I think Ottawa would probably want to make more of a hockey trade when we want to be trading futures

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

would agree with this sentiment, I think he's played really well this year on a bad team

Biggest issue is I think Ottawa would probably want to make more of a hockey trade when we want to be trading futures

Disagree with going all in. The price should be lower than what Ottawa paid for him given less term remaining.

Would like to add somebody like him, but there will be other options out there.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What term and aav will it take to sign a guy like Pesce in the offseason? Who's a good comparable? Same question for Tanev.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

I feel like we need one top 4 and peeke maybe which would equal the price of Brodie and Samsonov technique style he’s different then the other two goalies less positional hopefully we can send em off

horner

May 22, 2007
That's a very good defensive core for next year. For this year, we really can't afford to add both Ferraro AND Tanev in both assets and likely cap space. I also don't see Giordano sitting out.

I think he would be a good "buy low" option though. That whole team sucks and the team construction sucks. Ferraro plays a lot, by far the top defensive go to guy there as well. He blocks a lot of shots, probably because that team doesn't have the puck a lot. He's probably playing over his head, but he'd far better supported here.

I don't see Grier giving him away since I think he was his first signing as GM there.
Ferraro is only 25 yrs old
Last game I heard the coach called him the heart and soul of the team.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I guess LeafsNation still hasn’t learned. Hometown guys do not and have not taken any discount to “come home”!
I myself are tired of this notion, Toronto guys coming home to help and play for their beloved leafs because all that has happened is we have gotten taken advantage of.
Just wait for Marners new deal next year you will see what discount these guys give us. Domi maybe being the exception.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I guess LeafsNation still hasn’t learned. Hometown guys do not and have not taken any discount to “come home”!
I myself are tired of this notion, Toronto guys coming home to help and play for their beloved leafs because all that has happened is we have gotten taken advantage of.
Just wait for Marners new deal next year you will see what discount these guys give us. Domi maybe being the exception.
Sorry, but Marner and Tavares are in 2 very different places in their careers and aren’t comparable at this point.

Just the fact that you lumped them together says how much thought you’ve actually given this vs pushing your own narrative.

I think Tavares comes back for much less. He gets it, like Rielly does. Marner, not so much, and it may be the reason for the end of his time as a Maple Leaf.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Look - I love Cowan. BUT - There is NO way he is a regular in our team next year.
Can't pencil him in, but can't write him off either. If he has the same year to year jump as he had the last two seasons... it will be hard to keep him off the team by then.
Mid Jan 2022- in Junior B Allstar/ Knights call up
Mid Jan 2023- ~.66 point per game OHLer, 75th North American Skater from NHL Central Scouting (4th-5th round)
Mid Jan 2024- 1.72 point per game OHLer, Team Canada as U19

From mid Jan to June 2023 he turned himself from a mid rounder to 1st. Where will he be June 2024?

The next step in at that rate of progression isn't the OHL, but you'd think at some point his developmental curve will have to slow down.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't get why people want to bring back Tavares when his deal is up.

I'd prefer some fresh blood instead of someone looking for a Club Med deal with a pair of flip flops.

I don't even care about a hometown discount. Go with someone younger/different.

Who exactly are you getting that is younger/different and nearly as good, on a decent deal? It sounds like you haven't even looked to see who will be available as a UFA when Tavares deal is up.

I'll give you a hint... the number of C's who are younger, and have been more productive than Tavares, who will be a UFA at the same time... is ONE..... Draisaitl.... so it sounds like you are proposing Drai or bust.

You've got a guy who wants to be in Toronto, and has been PPG for his career here, and likely signs for a much more reasonable amount next time....

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Flyer may make a subsequent move after acquiring Drysdale. I am guessing they will move Walker. They could move Risto if they can find a taker I guess.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Who exactly are you getting that is younger/different and nearly as good, on a decent deal? It sounds like you haven't even looked to see who will be available as a UFA when Tavares deal is up.

I'll give you a hint... the number of C's who are younger, and have been more productive than Tavares, who will be a UFA at the same time... is ONE..... Draisaitl.... so it sounds like you are proposing Drai or bust.

You've got a guy who wants to be in Toronto, and has been PPG for his career here, and likely signs for a much more reasonable amount next time....
I'm not saying to go the UFA route. You can explore other areas as well.

I'm just sick of Toronto handing out these retirement deals simply because guys live here, etc.

Nothing against JT.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not saying to go the UFA route. You can explore other areas as well.

I'm just sick of Toronto handing out these retirement deals simply because guys live here, etc.

Nothing against JT.

So you want to trade picks and prospects, to obtain someone... when we've got someone here already... because you are tired of "retirement" deals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad