Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I would do Minten, Robertson, 2nd plus Brodie for cap reasons(Brodie should get them another 2nd at the deadline)

I'd really like to get Kampf or Reeves in there somewhere

Based on the Drysdale/Gauthier deal

Who do you think is the best Dman they could get for Minten?

Nobody good enough to make an appreciable difference imo

Scion

May 25, 2012
You want a 35 year old slow skating, average defender as your 2C? Perhaps step away from whatever analytics site you are on, turn off the computer and watch the games, I promise you the eye test will tell you a different story.
The eye test tells the same story, hence the numbers being what they are...

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That does not say much for Minten, then.

There's got to be something out there, even if you may have to add something extra.

I think Minten is a good prospect but if we want a top 4 difference maker we're probably talking 1st + Minten + something meh like a mid round pick or a b prospect

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think Minten is a good prospect but if we want a top 4 difference maker we're probably talking 1st + Minten + something meh like a mid round pick or a b prospect
For an established, yes. but you want to target a guy who's turned pro but hasn't taken the next step quite yet.

Reactions: arso40

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You'd need to know the rest of the league bloody well to come up with somebody like that, far better than I do
You would, perhaps, expand it to a player like Gauthier, who will turn pro when he's done at BC this spring. For a playoff team, it's like a late deadline addition.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You would, perhaps, expand it to a player like Gauthier, who will turn pro when he's done at BC this spring. For a playoff team, it's like a late deadline addition.

The problem is if we know who those guys are most of the league does as well

We need that guy who hasn't got the shine of a high draft position but is excelling a level or two down that could take off with the step up
Or a 3rd pair guy who is capable of more but hasn't had the opportunity yet

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
How about we go save Hertl from San Jose, there's you're bona-fide true #2 center and upgrades on Tavares and replaces him. San Jose Retains 2 million, get him fir just over 6 million for 5 more years Would be wonderful

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
How about we go save Hertl from San Jose, there's you're bona-fide true #2 center and upgrades on Tavares and replaces him. San Jose Retains 2 million, get him fir just over 6 million for 5 more years Would be wonderful
I wish

Reactions: TMLAM34

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Based on the Drysdale/Gauthier deal

Who do you think is the best Dman they could get for Minten?
That's a tough trade to replicate because it requires a top prospect looking for a change of scenery/refusing to sign and another team with a deep pipeline of prospects to offset the trading away of a young player who was essentially a former top prospect himself.

I see Zegras and Chychrun may be available

Do you want one of them and what would you be willing to give up for them?
Not big on either in the sense that I prefer Zegras but feel that D is more of a team need.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not interested in Zegras either because he doesn't play a brand of hockey that is conducive to winning in April. As for Chychrun he will likely cost a 1st and 2nd which I'd be willing to pay if he comes with an extension.

He has a year and a half left on his current contract so we wouldn't be able to do anything about that until next off-season

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Next year will be an interesting squeeze.

We'll be looking at 18Mill to fill the following:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
x - Tavares - Nylander
x - x - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Kampf -
Reaves

Rielly - x
McCabe - x
x- x
Timmins

Woll
x

--------------------------------------------------------

I'd look to bring back:
  • Robertson on a try me deal 950k. Same with McMann
  • Look to get Gregor back (1.25)
  • Benoit 1.1
  • Liljegren 3x3.
  • At this point I'd bring back Jones. 1.5?
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Gregor - x - Jarnkrok
Holmberg- Kampf - McMann
Reaves

Rielly - x
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - x
Timmins

Woll
Jones

This would cost a total of 8.75... leaving 9.25....

I'd then look for a reliable top pair for 4M, a good 3c for 3.75M and a project d for 1.5

Options for the 2D -
  • Brett Pesce: He's currently playing himself to a smaller deal. He's a reliable defender in his own end, which would provide Rielly opportunity to free-roam, like his Hainsey days.
  • Dylan Demelo: Physical, dependable defensive dman.
  • Matt Roy - Could be had cheaper than 4, but he's a pretty good dman who can play upwards to 21 mins a game, while be a reliable force on the back end.

Options For 3C
  • Look I like Domi, I'd bring him back. I think he'd also be around 3M again but if not here are other options.
  • Look Via Trade
  • or Sean Monahan/Jack Roslovic aren't bad shouts that give better flexibility for another reliable winger.

Option 6d
  • I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Giordano for League Min again. I know he's up there but he's brings his heart and soul to this team.
  • Outside of that I'd look for a reliable vet - Kulikov/Edmundson
  • Or taking a chance on a young d on the upswing via trade.
Timmins - I wouldn't mind moving his deal for something space.

Scion

May 25, 2012
He has a year and a half left on his current contract so we wouldn't be able to do anything about that until next off-season
The Leafs would talk to him beforehand if they made a deal. He is a GTA kid so I'm sure he'd be open to an extension I'm just not sure if OTT would be willing to trade him to a division rival. Before Melnyk past away it was well known that Ottawa would rather lose a trade then help the Leafs.

Reactions: Kiwi

Scion

May 25, 2012
And we won't if we allocate the 6-7 million he will likely require to resign. If there is an alternative option who is younger, quicker and better defensively who pots you 55-65 points would that not me more ideal?
I'd be willing to bet JT takes considerably less than that on his next deal.

If you keep reading further down you'd see I wouldn't, but that is what Ottawa will ask for and likely get if they trade him.
Ottawa is not going to get more for Chychrun with less term on his deal than when they paid a 1st and two 2nds. Do you understand how trades work?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I very much extremely doubt that, in fact there is not a bet I wouldn't make that he gets at minimum 6 million especially if he comes off another 70-80 point season

Ottawa is not going to get more for Chychrun with less term on his deal. Do you understand how trades work?
Lol do you? He had health concerns last year playing on a horrible team, he's been healthy and putting up terrific numbers. You clearly don't watch any games so pointless to discuss further.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Leafs would talk to him beforehand if they made a deal. He is a GTA kid so I'm sure he'd be open to an extension I'm just not sure if OTT would be willing to trade him to a division rival. Before Melnyk past away it was well known that Ottawa would rather lose a trade then help the Leafs.

I wonder if the new OTT front office might be a bit more ruthless and just do the best deal

If l was them I'd be concentrating on improvement no matter who I'm dealing with

Reactions: Buds17

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Next year will be an interesting squeeze.

We'll be looking at 18Mill to fill the following:

x - Tavares - Nylander
x - x - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Kampf -
Reaves

Rielly - x
McCabe - x
x- x
Timmins

Woll
x

--------------------------------------------------------

I'd look to bring back:
  • Robertson on a try me deal 950k. Same with McMann
  • Look to get Gregor back (1.25)
  • Benoit 1.1
  • Liljegren 3x3.
  • At this point I'd bring back Jones. 1.5?
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Gregor - x - Jarnkrok
Holmberg- Kampf - McMann
Reaves

Rielly - x
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - x
Timmins

Woll
Jones

This would cost a total of 8.75... leaving 9.25....

I'd then look for a reliable top pair for 4M, a good 3c for 3.75M and a project d for 1.5

Options for the 2D -
  • Brett Pesce: He's currently playing himself to a smaller deal. He's a reliable defender in his own end, which would provide Rielly opportunity to free-roam, like his Hainsey days.
  • Dylan Demelo: Physical, dependable defensive dman.
  • Matt Roy - Could be had cheaper than 4, but he's a pretty good dman who can play upwards to 21 mins a game, while be a reliable force on the back end.

Options For 3C
  • Look I like Domi, I'd bring him back. I think he'd also be around 3M again but if not here are other options.
  • Look Via Trade
  • or Sean Monahan/Jack Roslovic aren't bad shouts that give better flexibility for another reliable winger.

Option 6d
  • I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Giordano for League Min again. I know he's up there but he's brings his heart and soul to this team.
  • Outside of that I'd look for a reliable vet - Kulikov/Edmundson
  • Or taking a chance on a young d on the upswing via trade.
Timmins - I wouldn't mind moving his deal for something space.

the original team you had has 21.9 million in cap space based on the cap rising to 87.5 next season and 23 million if you demote Reaves I don't see why Benoit or Gregor are worth much more then there making. for exmple how does gregor get more money then Robertson? and Benoit while being solid probably doesn't get a big deal either. the team below has 119k in cap space if you can re-sign Liljegren to a 3x3 and Benoit/Gregor and Robertson come in around 2.6 million combined.

Jarnkrok - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - 3 mill - Minten/Cowan
Holmberg - Kampf - Gregor

Rielly - 7 mill
6 mill - Liljegren
McCabe- Benoit

Woll
1.5 mill

Scion

May 25, 2012
I very much extremely doubt that, in fact there is not a bet I wouldn't make that he gets at minimum 6 million especially if he comes off another 70-80 point season

Lol do you? He had health concerns last year playing on a horrible team, he's been healthy and putting up terrific numbers. You clearly don't watch any games so pointless to discuss further.

Chychrun was coming off of an injury, but there were no concerns about his ability to return to play full time. As for JT pick your betting terms...

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A name I’ve mentioned in here a few times: Ty Emberson looked decent tonight. He’d be an ideal buy low candidate who can play 3RD for a few years.

Reactions: andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad