Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not saying to go the UFA route. You can explore other areas as well.

I'm just sick of Toronto handing out these retirement deals simply because guys live here, etc.

Nothing against JT.
Are retirement deals even a thing? All teams sign vets for cheap at the end of their careers, more players just come from this area.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Flyer may make a subsequent move after acquiring Drysdale. I am guessing they will move Walker. They could move Risto if they can find a taker I guess.

Walker would be a very good RHD target. I don't think they'll make a trade like that while they are in a playoff spot though.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I'm just sick of Toronto handing out these retirement deals simply because guys live here, etc.

Nothing against JT.
What retirement deals would be similar in your opinion?

JT is probably significantly better than any player that would be an example of that in recent years.

Reactions: arso40

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You can't really say a definitive no about these things. If he shows up and plays well, you have to give him the Minten audition and go from there.
I'd argue that to make the cap work we need to show up with 2 top 9 spots vacant/ designated for competition. Between prospects and fully buriable UFA reclamation projects/ buy low gambles we should be able to fill them. If not- we should should still be a playoff team and those become the deadline adds.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bringing back JT is fine at the right price but you need to consider he’s more of a 3C, maybe 4C going forward and make other roster choices accordingly

He might become that eventually but the guy is still putting near PPG numbers and playing at a very high level. He's still one of the best offensive forwards around the net. He wouldn't have a problem getting a lot of money if he wants it through free agency. But I suspect he'll retire as a Leaf and he'll probably sign something very reasonable.

Joe Pavelski and Evgeni Malkin are a good comparison for Tavares of what he could become in terms of impact as he goes into his mid and late 30s.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
the other thing to consider is will JT relinquish the captaincy and still come back. Id rather he not come back if he's not willing to wear an A or no letter at all

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the other thing to consider is will JT relinquish the captaincy and still come back. Id rather he not come back if he's not willing to wear an A or no letter at all
You believe that's a realistic expectation?
I can't see any scenario where they would ask or another player would then accept it.

horner

May 22, 2007
Can't pencil him in, but can't write him off either. If he has the same year to year jump as he had the last two seasons... it will be hard to keep him off the team by then.
Mid Jan 2022- in Junior B Allstar/ Knights call up
Mid Jan 2023- ~.66 point per game OHLer, 75th North American Skater from NHL Central Scouting (4th-5th round)
Mid Jan 2024- 1.72 point per game OHLer, Team Canada as U19

From mid Jan to June 2023 he turned himself from a mid rounder to 1st. Where will he be June 2024?

The next step in at that rate of progression isn't the OHL, but you'd think at some point his developmental curve will have to slow down.
WJ Team was one of the youngest players besides Celebrini and was garenteed a spot.
He was one of the best players in the rookie tournament
It will be up to him if he pushes for a spot on the team, I am betting on Cowen.

Same with Minten

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sorry, but Marner and Tavares are in 2 very different places in their careers and aren’t comparable at this point.

Just the fact that you lumped them together says how much thought you’ve actually given this vs pushing your own narrative.

I think Tavares comes back for much less. He gets it, like Rielly does. Marner, not so much, and it may be the reason for the end of his time as a Maple Leaf.
No
I get what I said
Tavares is a center still producing at point per game level and has been doing it his entire career
Not to mention the team captain
People talking like he’s gonna go for 3 or 4 million per are funny
You all think this organization just gonna blindly give these young guys whatever they want undeservingly yet just let the team captain walk out the door when he’s still very much producing is funny
👍🏼
A prime marner is barely out producing an aging tavares

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
You can't really say a definitive no about these things. If he shows up and plays well, you have to give him the Minten audition and go from there.

Sure, but I watch him a lot. He is NOT even close to NHL ready.

Reactions: Dreakmur

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Barring massive generosity on his part, JT's next contract should/will likely depend entirely on term. If he's over 70 points this year and next, the next year or two after would be valued as such, which is still an expensive player- even if he's willing to do a hometown discount. If we want upfront savings we need to average it down with term- and hope that he's not a burden in the later years at that average.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Budz

Jan 28, 2013

He is not strong enough. Still too light on his skates.

I love him - I’m not a hater. Just being realistic that he will not be ready to play a professional game for 10-14 mins a night.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Barring massive generosity on his part, JT's next contract should/will likely depend entirely on term. If he's over 70 points this year and next, the next year or two after would be valued as such, which is still an expensive player- even if he's willing to do a hometown discount. If we want upfront savings we need to average it down with term- and hope that he's not a burden in the later years at that average.

Things can happen and change fast (cap, injuries, regression, progression, etc) but at this pace, he's definitely a ~7M player at his age. It will depend on term for sure.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd want someone secured as a 2C and fine with Tavares as 3C.

You would be "fine" with the guy currently 23rd in scoring for C's, as our 3C? I mean I get he's likely to decline over the next four years... maybe he'll even decline into the production area of other 2C's.

What you really want, is a 3C, who is a higher end producing 3C... funny enough, Domi is 48th in scoring for C's... actually producing like a middle tier 2C. I'm not saying he's the answer in anyway... but we've got the situation you are looking for already.

While not quite as productive as Domi this year... or well, ever for that matter, Michael McLeod is an upcoming UFA. He's got a lot of characteristics I'd love in a good 3C. Size, physicality, 66% at faceoffs this year, and he's got 18 points in 38 games... so 70th in C scoring... kind of high end 3C production. He's also only 25, and I believe has room to grow his game. Not the be all, and end all stat... but he's the NJD leader in +-... plays some PK, no PP time at all.. He's tied for 50th in Even Strength scoring for C's. Now, it would be a misstep for NJ to not extend him.... but he's the kind of C you'd want.

If we get lucky... it might make sense to sign McLeod, and keep Domi as well.... if they would sign to contracts that are reasonable. Domi LT at $3 mil is a good deal, and McLeod at $2.8 for 3-4 years would double his pay, and still be reasonable. Might have to move Kampf for that though.

horner

May 22, 2007
He is not strong enough. Still too light on his skates.

I love him - I’m not a hater. Just being realistic that he will not be ready to play a professional game for 10-14 mins a night.
Iam sure leaf management will make the right call.
The Boston player Poitras same height and weight seems to be working out fine and he's a center.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Iam sure leaf management will make the right call.
The Boston player Poitras same height and weight seems to be working out fine and he's a center.

Kadri is the same weight too... but then, Kadri wasn't ready for a time either... it isn't just about size, but also about strength. Minten has been a late developing guy, partially due to his misfortunes. If he's dedicated, and has the physical make up for it... he could potentially develop the needed strength in an offseason at his age... it's hard to predict. He's got work to do for sure though.

The other challenge to me... is that his offensive game isn't great. Long-term, it might be better to slow play him... give him all the time we can in Juniors, and the AHL, to coax more potential out of him... throw him into a 4th line role, and that might limit his upside. Or not...

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I can see Minten playing in the NHL next year for sure. I think he’s an easy Kampf replacement. Saves you 1.5 million towards the cap as well.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
If he wasn't top 5 in the NHL in face-off percentage maybe.

Moving that to the wing is just dumb.

Not to mention it's hard to envision him getting in on the forecheck either, he might be best served being the 2nd guy in and doing his defensive work below the hash marks in his own zone. I've always thought he'd transition to the wing eventually/soon but the more I think about it the more I'm not too sure. Hopefully when JT re-ups at a much cheaper amount we can find a way to become a strong 3 line team (which the NHL requires nowadays anyways) and we can keep Tavares's usage very specific.

Reactions: Scion

Scion

May 25, 2012

Nothing against JT.
No one is gifting JT a deal, he is still one of the most dangerous forwards in the world blueline in, and is among the hardest working players in the league. Give your head a shake.

So you want to trade picks and prospects, to obtain someone... when we've got someone here already... because you are tired of "retirement" deals?
Some of the things people say on here is beyond ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad