Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
Out of curiosity, are you actually high on Minten as a prospect? I think he's a solid, career 3C, who can play some 2C in a pinch, but likely not on a top flight team.

Still an asset that I expect to be an excellent contributor in Toronto, but by no means an untradeable guy, IMO.
So you want to trade him for a Grey beard.
and shouldn't we fix the D first .
Sounds like a plan .
He is injured right now and a long injury history like folingo
Folingo all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Ottawa is becoming an even bigger disaster than they already were…

To Toronto: Thomas Chabot

To Ottawa: Nick Robertson + Topi Niemela + TOR 1st Rounder + MTL 2nd Rounder via WPG

To Winnipeg: TJ Brodie (50% retained from either TOR or OTT whoever can afford it)

Not sure if it’s an overpayment for Chabot (very good defenceman but also very overrated at the same time). Really like the look of the top four. Can even play Rielly - Chabot at times together.

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Chabot
Benoit - Giordano

• Haha
Reactions: BayStBullies

horner

May 22, 2007

To Ottawa: Nick Robertson + Topi Niemela + TOR 1st Rounder + MTL 2nd Rounder via WPG

To Winnipeg: TJ Brodie (50% retained from either TOR or OTT whoever can afford it)

Not sure if it’s an overpayment for Chabot (very good defenceman but also very overrated at the same time). Really like the look of the top four. Can even play Rielly - Chabot at times together.

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Chabot
Benoit - Giordano
Chabot is always injured

Reactions: arso40

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Been wondering ahout that as well. Sounds like St Louis would be open to moving him at 50% which brings it to just over 1.7M for another 2 years after this. A cap strapped team like us need to find those cheap contracts.

Only thing I'd disagree with is, is he not quite bad defensively? Be a decent 3rd line LW that can get 40-55 points that can be used at C in a pinch.

My understanding….. mostly from scouting reports is that he is reliable defensively and kills penalties. Not overly physical. Which people hate at his height.

Tre might not like his lack of “snot” but at 1.7 ish that would really help the crunch next year

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Chabot is always injured
True but I do think that has something to do with his usage. Playing him 24-26 minutes a night during the regular season on an awful team probably takes a toll on your body. Having a top four of Rielly - Liljegren and McCabe - Chabot allows both pairs to average anywhere from 20-22 minutes a night. Playoffs would be a different story.

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Chabot
Benoit - ________

I really like the look of that blueline and finding a 3rd pairing defenceman via trade or free agency wouldn’t be too difficult.

Reactions: LeafsOHLRangers98

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Chabot
Benoit - Giordano

I remember watching Chabot years ago and thinking that he for sure had a Norris or two in his future. Poor bastard is buried in Ottawa.

That package seems light to me - if I'm Ottawa I want at least Minten on top of that offer. But I'd love to bring him aboard.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just don't see how we would be able to afford Chabot, with the contracts we've already signed. Signing Lilly for $3 mil, Benoit for $1mil and trading for Chabot leaves us with just over $11 mil room and only 13 players on the roster....

Reactions: Buds17

horner

May 22, 2007
I just don't see how we would be able to afford Chabot, with the contracts we've already signed. Signing Lilly for $3 mil, Benoit for $1mil and trading for Chabot leaves us with just over $11 mil room and only 13 players on the roster....
That is why Minten Cowen knies and Grebyonkin on ELC contracts is so important for us.
Even the 1st this yr I would keep till the summer, until we see what we can get at UFA season

Our d needs work

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I figure Gauthier should be comfortably ahead of Minten due to draft pedigree (5th overall versus high 2nd round pick) in spite of Minten having a modicum of NHL experience. Perhaps Drysdale and a 2nd or 3rd for Minten and a 1st?

I don’t think Minten is in that league of blue chip guys at the top of the draft other GMs are salivating over. He’s a guy we want to exceed his draft day rankings, gain junior, pro and WJC experience and build value, become a chip or a player. But if I were any of the 31 other GMs I can’t see him being like this prized trade target.

Reactions: Scion and Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think compared to this years starting lineup, the Brodie and Klingberg money would go to Chabot’s $8 million and the remaining $1.1 could go to Liljegren to get him towards $3 million. Not saying Chabot is our guy.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Funny enough, the less money Tre has to play with the better it might be. Look at his free agent moves this summer - all the bigger money signings have been busts. Klinberg, Kampf, Reeves, even Bertuzzi so far. It's his min guys that have come through - Jones, Benoit, Laggerson, Gregor.

It doesn't seem to be a one-off, either. If you look at his Calgary days, he made a habit of signing mediocre players to bloated deals.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Sounds like a plan .
Folingo all over again.
If anything we want dman from that team they can keep the rest

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies (0.93) - Matthews (13.25) - Marner (10.9)
__________ - Tavares (11) - Nylander (11.5)
Jarnkrok (2.1) - __________ - Holmberg (0.8)
McMann (0.85) - Minten (0.85) - __________
52.18 million

Rielly (7.5) - Liljegren (4)
Chabot (8) - McCabe (2)
Benoit (1.5) - Kokkonen (0.85)
23.85 million

Woll (0.77) - Jones (1.5)
2.27 million

That team comes out to 78.3 million. With a projected salary cap of 87.7, that leaves us 9.4 million to fill three forward spots. Not terrible.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Grebenkin has almost the same points (less goals) and is 20 years of age.
Plus, given on how he is heating up... he will pass Tsyplakov.

A free wallet is a free wallet but I do find it odd that they are potentially bringing this guy over when Grebenkin could also be here next year.

Chances are, we are going to need to sign more than one player next year. We have 28 contracts at this point for next year... so space for up to 22.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Knies (0.93) - Matthews (13.25) - Marner (10.9)
__________ - Tavares (11) - Nylander (11.5)
Jarnkrok (2.1) - __________ - Holmberg (0.8)
McMann (0.85) - Minten (0.85) - __________
52.18 million

Rielly (7.5) - Liljegren (4)
Chabot (8) - McCabe (2)
Benoit (1.5) - Kokkonen (0.85)
23.85 million

Woll (0.77) - Jones (1.5)
2.27 million

That team comes out to 78.3 million. With a projected salary cap of 87.7, that leaves us 9.4 million to fill three forward spots. Not terrible.
No to chabot he’s not even there best d chychrun or Sanderson and Sanderson they will not trade

Reactions: LeafSteel

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Sounds like a plan .
Folingo all over again.
He's 30. He'll be 31 next year. He's signed for 2 more years after 2024. He's in the middle of his prime years and you'd have an excellent 3C at an affordable price for the rest of Matthews' contract, the rest of Tavares' ppg years and most of the prime years for Nylander.

Foligno was already in obvious decline when the Leafs traded for him. Outside of battling a short term injury, Jenner is still producing at an excellent 3C level and should for several contending years to come.

Essentially he is, right now, what I hope Minten will be 2-3 years from now.

Your point about adding defense is well taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad