Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Kyper just said Leafs and Nylander are trending towards a deal and want to get it done before the ASG (feb, 3rd)

"Looking like it will be a number above 11 million, and 8 years" (paraphrased)

Said it on his show, take it for what you will
I'd prefer less term, ideally.

Reactions: rumman

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Willy has earned his contract. 10M-11M over 8 years is a good bit of business. He bet on himself in a contract year and he has earned himself a more lucrative deal.

Getting him for a full 8 years, like Mo Rielly through his UFA contract will help with the team's long term health.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Willy has earned his contract. 10M-11M over 8 years is a good bit of business. He bet on himself in a contract year and has earned himself a more lucrative deal.

Getting him for a full 8 years, like Mo Rielly through his UFA contract will help with the team's long term health.
Could be JT all over again…….

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kyper just said Leafs and Nylander are trending towards a deal and want to get it done before the ASG (feb, 3rd)

That'd be an awful deal, love Willy, but not at that number

Reactions: nuck

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem is that I would not go a penny over what he's currently making. It's not like he's earned a big pay day either. Maybe he'd take a similar cap hit to finally stay longer? Sometimes a good fit is a good fit but just like with Luke Schenn, sometimes you get offered a pay day and you take it.

I'd rather extend Bertuzzi over Domi but there's room for both of them around the same number they currently have. But not sure this is the core of players I'd try to bring back if the team continues this pace even if individually they are doing well.

At the moment I think his next contract is going to start with a 3. He strikes me as a guy who would be willing to value stability given he's bounced around a bunch. Go 3-5 years of term and the caphit should be reasonable.

My concern about the free agency route, is that if the team misses any of the prime targets, they're then for ed to trade assets that could be used elsewhere (ie the D) to fill that hole.

I'd also probably prefer Bertuzzi too, BUT problem is his current production is well below what his current caphit is, which then causes a bit of a conundrum for management unless he also really wants to stay a Leaf and is willing to be flexible

Edit: though regarding the future 3C position, I wonder if Tres Monahan connection could be a positive here

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At the moment I think his next contract is going to start with a 3. He strikes me as a guy who would be willing to value stability given he's bounced around a bunch. Go 3-5 years of term and the caphit should be reasonable.

My concern about the free agency route, is that if the team misses any of the prime targets, they're then for ed to trade assets that could be used elsewhere (ie the D) to fill that hole.

I'd also probably prefer Bertuzzi too, BUT problem is his current production is well below what his current caphit is, which then causes a bit of a conundrum for management unless he also really wants to stay a Leaf and is willing to be flexible

Edit: though regarding the future 3C position, I wonder if Tres Monahan connection could be a positive here

Monahan would be a very nice target for 3C for 1-2 years around 2.5-3M

Bertuzzi, I would see if he'd bite at 4x4 with a lot of up front salary/signing bonuses.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd be pleasantly surprised by, and impressed with, a deal of max term. I'd unfortunately have different feelings about an AAV of 11M or above.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Monahan would be a very nice target for 3C for 1-2 years around 2.5-3M

Bertuzzi, I would see if he'd bite at 4x4 with a lot of up front salary/signing bonuses.

I don't understand why you would bring in a guy who best case scores as many points as Domi and isn't a great defensive player either

Better the devil you know, who isn't dependent on the PP for scoring

I'd let Bertuzzi walk, he's not going to age well imo and we should be filling that position with somebody cheap to help team building in other areas

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Even if you wanted to move off one of them, they have NMC and nobody is taking on that bonus riddled contract? I hope Nick is full of shit.

His contract is a full NMC all on its own
He took a lot of flack from the regular dolts while outperfming his contract year after year. He'll be run out of town at $11.25
He's going to want to play well, let's put it that way

Marner makes about 11M and usually gets around 100 points most years and he gets plenty of ****

I'm not sure that extra Million is worth the hassle it gets you, it buys a lot of goodwill

Reactions: horner and ToneDog

horner

May 22, 2007
If were trading for a defenseman were going to have to trade something of value

If Hildeby and Minten are off limits I'd presume Cowan is as well so our 1st Niemela and ?

There isn't much left of value after those guys
Robertson

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
All I keep reading in these pages is that all that matters is the playoffs. We’ve won one series during this ‘core 4’ era. Does anyone think this group is going deep this year? Next year we’ll have the top paid player in the league, and if (doubtful) Kypreos is right, we’d have 3 $11M dollar players who have how many playoff series victories under their belts? That’s madness, I tell ya, sheer lunacy.

Reactions: Dragao6 and ToneDog

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
All I keep reading in these pages is that all that matters is the playoffs. We’ve won one series during this ‘core 4’ era. Does anyone think this group is going deep this year? Next year we’ll have the top paid player in the league, and if (doubtful) Kypreos is right, we’d have 3 $11M dollar players who have how many playoff series victories under their belts? That’s madness, I tell ya, sheer lunacy.
3 at 11M+ and one at 10.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad