Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'd be fine locking Domi up. I have a feeling he won't try and stick the team too much on the aav. He seems like he clearly loves playing here.

And would help give the team some more stability in the bottom six having some consistent bodies stick around
He likes it here but make no mistake he loves money. He rode till the last minute to increase AAV

Reactions: rumman and horner

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
He likes it here but make no mistake he loves money. He rode till the last minute to increase AAV
Domi is a useful player but not someone I would commit money or term to. I think he kind of fits in here and would be playing with fire to try to sign somewhere else for more term or money. I dont think any more desirable team/city would be lining up to lay him big money and big term.

I think my max term would be 3 years at same cap % he is now. No reason to pay him more imo.

Reactions: Ciao

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He hasn't done it yet, a GM will take a punt on talent but he's also not going to overpay for an unproven talent

There going to see him as a throw in currently
As you said, he has produced some offense, so I don't know if calling him a "throw-in" is correct.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't think this can be said enough.

Leafs would be taking a huge risk, and they've been burned on taking those risks before.

Sure, maybe Byram has untapped upside ... Timmins apparently does too.

Why then not deal in risk for risk.

Byram for Robertson + minimum games played add. Throw in prospect(s).

Colorado has their own Cap issues brewing.

difference is Bowen is already a proven quality top 4 guy. even if he doesn't improve he played 19 mins a game on Colorado's cup run 2 years ago @ 20 years old. he's miles better then Robertson/Timmins these guys are barely NHL talent right now.

the cap issue's are the exact reason why a guy like Bowen might actually be available otherwise he wouldn't be.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
difference is Bowen is already a proven quality top 4 guy. even if he doesn't improve he played 19 mins a game on Colorado's cup run 2 years ago @ 20 years old. he's miles better then Robertson/Timmins these guys are barely NHL talent right now.

the cap issue's are the exact reason why a guy like Bowen might actually be available otherwise he wouldn't be.

You really don't know what you have with defensemen until they're hardened.

Leafs probably thought Dermott was going to be a top 4 defender when he was playing full time at 21.

I agree you have an add going to the Avs, but I don't think I'd put too many eggs in that injury prone basket.

Reactions: horner

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Domi is a useful player but not someone I would commit money or term to. I think he kind of fits in here and would be playing with fire to try to sign somewhere else for more term or money. I dont think any more desirable team/city would be lining up to lay him big money and big term.

I think my max term would be 3 years at same cap % he is now. No reason to pay him more imo.

problem with Domi is his position isn't a top priority for this team. the 2 top priorities are Nylander and 2 top 4 Dmen. then after that who will be along side Woll in goal. followed by a third line center. and while Domi's currently playing that role I would rather find a guy who can kill penalties as well as produce offensively. that's not Domi. following those priorities there there might be money for a winger or bottom pairing Dmen which Domi could potentially fill.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Byram has been bi polar last year and still off this year. Borgen is a much safer acquire, simpler and cheaper game

Reactions: horner

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
You really don't know what you have with defensemen until they're hardened.

Leafs probably thought Dermott was going to be a top 4 defender when he was playing full time at 21.

I agree you have an add going to the Avs, but I don't think I'd put too many eggs in that injury prone basket.

I understand your point but he's a proven top 4 guy with Stanley Cup winning experience already @ 22, without the injury and cap issues he would never be potentially available and if were trying to compete we need 2 top 4 Dmen next year. @3.8 million on the cap he would also be economical.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As you said, he has produced some offense, so I don't know if calling him a "throw-in" is correct.

He's not getting you close if you're looking for a good top 4D imo

I'd think you'd be looking at
1st + something good like Neimela or Minten or Hildeby + Robertson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
problem with Domi is his position isn't a top priority for this team. the 2 top priorities are Nylander and 2 top 4 Dmen. then after that who will be along side Woll in goal. followed by a third line center. and while Domi's currently playing that role I would rather find a guy who can kill penalties as well as produce offensively. that's not Domi. following those priorities there there might be money for a winger or bottom pairing Dmen which Domi could potentially fill.area to

I think you are underestimating how much a 2 way 3C is going to cost and just how hard they are to Aquire

Domi has been the best one since Kadri left, depending on how you feel about Kerfoot

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Byram has been bi polar last year and still off this year. Borgen is a much safer acquire, simpler and cheaper game

of course he's inconsistent he's 22 playing 3rd most minutes on a cup contender while Borgen is 27 playing bottom pairing minutes on 23rd place team. Borgen could be on the decline in 2-3 year while Byram will be just hitting his prime.

I think you are underestimating how much a 2 way 3C is going to cost and just how hard they are to Aquire

Domi has been the best one since Kadri left, depending on how you feel about Kerfoot
I'm talking like a 35-40 point guy who can play solid Defense. not a 50-60 guy also I should add these are our priorities that I listed maybe we can't afford them all but those are more important positions to fill before moving to someone like Domi

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Well, if you find one you like, that's what it takes, I guess.

How many 3Cs are even going to be available this offseason? Extending Domi seems like a relatively simple solution
Dickinson.

I'm not talking to Domi until he re-signs. There are a couple of trade options as well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
of course he's inconsistent he's 22 playing 3rd most minutes on a cup contender while Borgen is 27 playing bottom pairing minutes on 23rd place team. Borgen could be on the decline in 2-3 year while Byram will be just hitting his prime.

I'm talking like a 35-40 point guy who can play solid Defense. not a 50-60 guy also I should add these are our priorities that I listed maybe we can't afford them all but those are more important positions to fill before moving to someone like Domi

Even guys who put up 35-40 points but play great defense cost plenty, every team has a use for that type of player and there aren't many of them available

We can walk and chew gum at the same time

If Domi is a fit we could resign him while we look for defensive upgrades, depending on how you feel about him

Reactions: Menzinger

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

How much do you watch them and are we just seeing different things?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I guess he’s horrible for being a 20 year old kid wanting to get his own money
I don't know where I said that :huh:

1704152026743.gif

However it is kind of scummy to raise the price last minute after agreeing to something else lol :laugh:

How many 3Cs are even going to be available this offseason? Extending Domi seems like a relatively simple solution
I think we have a good chance for sure and I've liked his play. Feel like 3rd c will be likely a trade? Who knows

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
we don't have tThat's about what Muzzin went for and he assets to be trading for defense and a 3C

At least one of those is going to have to happen through Free agency imo
I think we might, as you laid out, but what that leaves you with may put some off.

I'd go for a player a fair bit younger than Muzzin, who's hopefully just about to break out; Something akin to the Sergachev/Drouin trade.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we might, as you laid out, but what that leaves you with may put some off.

I'd go for a player a fair bit younger than Muzzin, who's hopefully just about to break out; Something akin to the Sergachev/Drouin trade.

That would be ideal, somebody that can grow with the group and be here for half a decade with Mo and Liljegren would be amazing

horner

May 22, 2007
He's not getting you close if you're looking for a good top 4D imo

Hildeby and Minten are of limits.
Hildeby may be better than Woll.
Give you head ashamed.

Reactions: arso40

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Punt the year. Trade Willy if he won’t extend

Grab at least 2 ufa d of
Demelo. Hanafin. Tanev. Pesce. Skej. Zadorov

Wingers available could be Willy stamkos guentzel Reinhardt etc.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
We need dmen with size
Just look at the size of Las Vegas defense last year when they won the cup.
They had a goalie with not a lot of experience and won because other teams couldn’t get to the net
When Tampa was beating us they also had a monstrous D.

We want these puck moving dmen and forget about size.
They don’t have to be face punchers just big and strong and box out opposing forwards or use their size to break up the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad