Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I really do hope a team like Arizona or Anaheim takes Samsonov. They won't, but I hope. That 3.55M extra in cap space would be huge if the Leafs were looking at adding a quality defender.

on Trade deadline day Sammy will only be owed 776k for the remainder of the year so I don't see why a team who clearly is going to miss the playoffs and selling wouldn't take him for a small add like a 5th or 7th or something if were looking to add at the deadline.

Why would they trade Manson or Byram ?
They are on pace for 107 pts.
They would probably like to up grade there goaltending.
I'm talking at the draft not during the season sorry,.

Reactions: Kurtz

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Any way we can steal McLeod from New Jersey to be the full time 4th line C
It would be a neat pickup, but there's red tape around him because of WJ Scandal.

Haula is also there and can play C, which would be an improvement at 3C. The cap is more of an issue with that one, however.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm having a hard time right now, finding some type of trade, that addresses what we need... now.... by moving Marner.

I don't know how you'd get it done... but I'd move out....

Brodie
Kampf
Marner
Robertson
Minten
Samsonov
1st,
Timmins
Pretty much any Marlies is open game in this scenario.

Targets
Crouse
McBain
Lamoureux
Larsson
Bjorkstrand
Goalie

It's probably not realistic, but I think this team needs an injection of hardworking, physical big guys...
I really like Crouse, always have……..

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm OK with moving assets, just get guys with term left on there deals

I'd happily trade our 1st this year for a top 4D or 3C in a sign and trade or with 2-3 years left on his deal
I'm OK with that but not for players past their best before dates. I'm betting they get Tanev and hoping it does not cost them anything more than a 3rd+.

He was a UFA this off-season. Leafs could have had him for free. As previously mentioned though, he could be involved with the 2018 WJC investigation.
NJ signed McLeod and Bastian right away. Doubt we had a shot at either.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm OK with moving assets, just get guys with term left on there deals

I'd happily trade our 1st this year for a top 4D or 3C in a sign and trade or with 2-3 years left on his deal

Yep. If the 1st is moved they either need to have 1-2+ years of extra term beyond this season or to be VERY confident of being able to extend.

Ideally Tre can maybe pinch a player he's formally familiar with from the Flames that he has a connection with

Reactions: Rocker13 and Kiwi

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Marner will be interesting this off-season the more I think about it. He will be eligible for an extension. He will be owed 775k after his bonus is paid out (assuming it is July 1, 2024). If Treliving tells him that he will not be getting a raise and it may be best for him to find a contract elsewhere he might be open to sign and trade similar to Tkachuk. Any team that acquires him after July 1 would be able to immediately extend him assuming they are willing to pay him the money he wants. I'd be looking at Arizona, they could afford him next year and going forward. They could use a top 6 NHL RW (they currently have Crouse and Schmaltz playing top 6 RW with Kerfoot at 1C). Next year will be the last year on their lease at Mullet arena, and most likely their last year of suppressed revenues - they'd actually save money by bringing Marner at 775k real cash and trading out players with actual salary owed.

I'd be looking at a deal around Crouse+Hayton or McBain. Leafs get a top 6LW in the mold that they are looking for and a serviceable 3C. I could also see a prospect exhcange involved where Doan brings in his son. They save 5M on the cap in the process which they can use along with the 4.15M from Klingberg to go after a free agent D.

This is all assuming Marner is willing to go to Arizona. If Treliving makes it clear that he will not get a bloated contract to stay in Toronto hopefully he will be open to moving.

Reactions: rumman

horner

May 22, 2007
on Trade deadline day Sammy will only be owed 776k for the remainder of the year so I don't see why a team who clearly is going to miss the playoffs and selling wouldn't take him for a small add like a 5th or 7th or something if were looking to add at the deadline.

I'm talking at the draft not during the season sorry,.
Ok

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner will be interesting this off-season the more I think about it. He will be eligible for an extension. He will be owed 775k after his bonus is paid out (assuming it is July 1, 2024). If Treliving tells him that he will not be getting a raise and it may be best for him to find a contract elsewhere he might be open to sign and trade similar to Tkachuk. Any team that acquires him after July 1 would be able to immediately extend him assuming they are willing to pay him the money he wants. I'd be looking at Arizona, they could afford him next year and going forward. They could use a top 6 NHL RW (they currently have Crouse and Schmaltz playing top 6 RW with Kerfoot at 1C). Next year will be the last year on their lease at Mullet arena, and most likely their last year of suppressed revenues - they'd actually save money by bringing Marner at 775k real cash and trading out players with actual salary owed.

I'd be looking at a deal around Crouse+Hayton or McBain. Leafs get a top 6LW in the mold that they are looking for and a serviceable 3C. I could also see a prospect exhcange involved where Doan brings in his son. They save 5M on the cap in the process which they can use along with the 4.15M from Klingberg to go after a free agent D.

This is all assuming Marner is willing to go to Arizona. If Treliving makes it clear that he will not get a bloated contract to stay in Toronto hopefully he will be open to moving.
One can always wish, I’ve always loved Crouse’s game……..

Scion

May 25, 2012

That deal is not even close to enough value for Marner and in no world does he agree to play in ARI.

One can always wish, I’ve always loved Crouse’s game……..
You won't love it as much if he's the center piece for 16. If you think the team is suspect now...

Reactions: TMLAM34

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That deal is not even close to enough value for Marner and in no world does he agree to play in ARI.

You won't love it as much if he's the center piece for 16. If you think the team is suspect now...
Yeah, I’ll love it……….

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What is his value, though?

I don't think it should be expected to get as much, we think, based on his NMC and his cap hit. The value of moving also extends into how the cap space is used after.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yep. If the 1st is moved they either need to have 1-2+ years of extra term beyond this season or to be VERY confident of being able to extend.

Ideally Tre can maybe pinch a player he's formally familiar with from the Flames that he has a connection with

Tre isn't in a bad position

The Forward group and goaltending isn't in a bad spot and we do have some decent building blocks on the backend in Rielly and Liljegren

You can make that work if you're smart with your assets and cap allocation

Just as an aside, what are peoples thoughts on Domi? He's starting to really grow on me and I like what he and Robertson have going right now offensively on that 3rd line

Scion

May 25, 2012
What is his value, though?

I don't think it should be expected to get as much, we think, based on his NMC and his cap hit. The value of moving also extends into how the cap space is used after.
I don't know what his value is in a trade, but if it's not a #1 D I'm not trading an elite two way forward who is only 26. I understand that people are down on 16, but if the Leafs trade him they will spend years trying to replace him. The team has come this far with the core and a flat cap, I'm not eager to tear it up this close to JT's contract expiring and the cap finally going up.

Yeah, I’ll love it……….
Then I'm happy you aren't running the team.

Reactions: arso40

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Just as an aside, what are peoples thoughts on Domi? He's starting to really grow on me and I like what he and Robertson have going right now offensively on that 3rd line
He's been the best of the bigger Tre signings, partly by play and partly by default. Similar to Kerfoot, his best position likely isn't at center, so I do feel they could improve there. but he's making a go of it, and overall, he's been decent.

Robertson is another thing; he has some skill, but I think he remains the best trade chip to improve elsewhere, whether it is a C or a D.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
don't know what his value is in a trade, but if it's not a #1 D I'm not trading an elite two way forward who is only 26. I understand that people are down on 16, but if the Leafs trade him they will spend years trying to replace him.
I very much doubt you're getting that, and yet, continuing with this cap/roster structure seems even more so like cutting one's nose off to spite their face.

The team has come this far with the core and a flat cap, I'm not eager to tear it up this close to JT's contract expiring and the cap finally going up.
This far?, they haven't done anything...

But even at that point the issue still remains because with Willy's extension extension and then Marner's to follow, if that's what you're getting at,

Matthews @ 13.25 Marner @ 12.5 (working off the difference between he and 34 last time) Nylander @ 11

Then let's say JT again or another 2C at 6 or 7

It's more or less the same allocation of money to 4 guys.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tre isn't in a bad position

The Forward group and goaltending isn't in a bad spot and we do have some decent building blocks on the backend in Rielly and Liljegren

You can make that work if you're smart with your assets and cap allocation

I'd be fine locking Domi up. I have a feeling he won't try and stick the team too much on the aav. He seems like he clearly loves playing here.

And would help give the team some more stability in the bottom six having some consistent bodies stick around

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I very much doubt you're getting that, and yet, continuing with this cap/roster structure seems even more so like cutting one's nose off to spite their face.

But even at that point the issue still remains because with Willy's extension extension and then Marner's to follow, if that's what you're getting at,

Matthews @ 13.25 Marner @ 12.5 (working off the difference between he and 34 last time) Nylander @ 11

Nope move Willy to 2c that way he’s forced to not leak out and be physical defensively it’s documented he rises to challenges he’s taken the challenge of running a line from the wing now do it in the middle that’s out championship move

Scion

May 25, 2012

I think JT takes a significant discount on his current deal which will help. The difference last time around is that the cap was flat due to covid. With inflation those deals should look more palatable after they are signed.

And for clarification, when I said this far, I meant the organization has gone with this formula for so many years under a flat cap, so it only makes sense to see what it looks like in a normal financial environment. Obviously the results in the playoffs have been horrendous to this point.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nope move Willy to 2c that way he’s forced to not leak out and be physical defensively it’s documented he rises to challenges he’s taken the challenge of running a line from the wing now do it in the middle that’s out championship move
The Willie a C idea is done, surely?

I mean he's not going to change that drastically at 28.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad