Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm having a hard time right now, finding some type of trade, that addresses what we need... now.... by moving Marner.

I don't know how you'd get it done... but I'd move out....

Brodie
Kampf
Marner
Robertson
Minten
Samsonov
1st,
Timmins
Pretty much any Marlies is open game in this scenario.

Targets
Crouse
McBain
Lamoureux
Larsson
Bjorkstrand
Goalie

It's probably not realistic, but I think this team needs an injection of hardworking, physical big guys...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm having a hard time right now, finding some type of trade, that addresses what we need... now.... by moving Marner.

Brodie
Kampf
Marner
Robertson
Minten
Samsonov
1st,
Timmins

Targets
Crouse
McBain
Lamoureux
Larsson
Bjorkstrand
Goalie

It's probably not realistic, but I think this team needs an injection of hardworking, physical big guys...

One could argue we kinda did that last year and it didn’t really work out much better.

Also I don’t think I’d move Minten. He seems like he could be exactly what we need at 3C in fairly short time. Obviously depends on the return

Reactions: Rocker13

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One could argue we kinda did that last year and it didn’t really work out much better.

Also I don’t think I’d move Minten. He seems like he could be exactly what we need at 3C in fairly short time. Obviously depends on the return

I got McBain back for a 3C. Bigger, more physical, more offensive upside.

I don’t think Minten has 3C offensive upside. He was the piece I was most hesitant to move though, thinking maybe he’d be a good defensive 4C.

To get, you’ve got to give and if I could get some the rest without moving him, I’m in.

Scion

May 25, 2012
What is elite though? Is he 95th percentile? 90th? I see the numbers but I have 0 context here. For reference - Reinhart is 99th percentile among forwards defensively this year.
You are allowed to do some work... And Reinhart is 99th percentile at what specifically, with what usage and linemates? Quoting a player card gives zero context.

Scion

May 25, 2012
IMO hockey doesn’t have any analytics that adequately represent individual defensive impact at this moment in time.
xGA/60 does a fairly good job of showing who is limiting scoring chances against, but sometimes that is a result of great offense, forechecking or puck possession which we don't typically associate with defense. That is where microstats, usage and deployment come into play, which is only really possible with video analysis. I don't begrudge anyone for not doing the latter though because most people don't have access to instat and sportlogiq so it makes sense to use the information available to you.

Reactions: weems and Sypher04

Scion

May 25, 2012
I'd conserve assets and wait till the offseason when the following UFA D could be in play: Pesce, Hanifin, Montour, Forsling, Tanev, Dumba, and Skej.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Brodie
Kampf
Marner
Robertson
Minten
Samsonov
1st,
Timmins

Targets
Crouse
McBain
Lamoureux
Larsson
Bjorkstrand
Goalie

I’d be pretty open to moving quite a bit for McBain. Seems like your ideal 3C. I don’t think they move Minten though, this organization seems really high on him.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You are allowed to do some work... And Reinhart is 99th percentile at what specifically, with what usage and linemates? Quoting a player card gives zero context.
I use GAR/xGAR as my metrics of choice. I mentioned it in this thread a few times. The variables used by the model are below. The model is also where Reinhart is 99th percentile. It's enough variables for me to feel more confident than looking at on ice xGA.

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 2.14.31 PM.png

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

Brodie
Kampf
Marner
Robertson
Minten
Samsonov
1st,
Timmins

Targets
Crouse
McBain
Lamoureux
Larsson
Bjorkstrand
Goalie

If your looking for hardworking physical big guys you should be adding nylander to the guys you move out.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I use GAR/xGAR as my metrics of choice. I mentioned it in this thread a few times. The variables used by the model are below. The model is also where Reinhart is 99th percentile. It's enough variables for me to feel more confident than looking at on ice xGA.

View attachment 793370
I don't know what half those numbers are. Do you have a link that explains it in more detail?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If your looking for hardworking physical big guys you should be adding nylander to the guys you move out.

You want a balanced team. You don’t want all talent and you don’t want all lunch pail guys. Basically one of Nylander or Marner has to stay and one has to go.

Reactions: TMLAM34

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Sell what, exactly? AM, MM and JT...ntc. Willie? UFA that won't get us even close to a reasonable return for just that reason. The rest? Cannon fodder essentially that also won't move the needle substantially in trade. I subscribe to the "sink or swim" with what we got this season. No picks dealt off...no selling the farm. Now, the offseason? We evaluate what we have and give this GM a free hand to mould this team properly...with a new coach. Which is what we really need. Shanny can hit the bricks too.
Why couldn’t Nylander get a good return? How many players get traded for a 1st plus prospect every year that are no where close to as good as Nylander. itcould also be a hockey trade. Players straight up.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You want a balanced team. You don’t want all talent and you don’t want all lunch pail guys. Basically one of Nylander or Marner has to stay and one has to go.
Theoretically which teams can/would accommodate Marner and which teams can/would accommodate Nylander? Marner most likely being an off-season move and Nylander and in-season move. I can't think of too many for either. Basically NYR and VAN for Nylander. In an off-season Marner deal you're looking at rebuilding teams that are looking to make a big step like ARI and PHI. The market isn't that big.

horner

May 22, 2007
I see us as good trading partners we need both types of guys weather it's Manson for that tough stay at home style of guy or Byram and smooth skating top pairing potential two way guy. just be interesting if we have the pieces you guys would want to make a deal happen.
Why would they trade Manson or Byram ?
They are on pace for 107 pts.
They would probably like to up grade there goaltending.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Why would they trade Manson or Byram ?

they have 2.5 million in cap space next year with only 12 guys under contract. to add they really only have Mackinnon/Rantanen and Nichuskin upfront as offense weapons while they have 5 Dmen making 3.8 million or more. while one of those guys are playing third pairing. doesn't seem like a good use of cap space.

EDIT: on top of that Byram will need to be re-signed the following year could see him getting into the 5-6 range with a good year.

horner

May 22, 2007
They have cap problems, but I think its more a problem for them in the summer.
Landeskog is out for the season so they squeeze through this year.
Next summer, they likely have to move one of Manson, Byram, or Girard.
In the summer I can see but Byram is made of glass 127 gms in 4 seasons
2 concussions already.

horner

May 22, 2007
They have cap problems, but I think its more a problem for them in the summer.
Landeskog is out for the season so they squeeze through this year.
Next summer, they likely have to move one of Manson, Byram, or Girard.
Johansson 4 mil I would think gets dumped
Colton as well 4 mil

Not living up to there contract

Could see Girard being traded nor someone I would want

Manson yes

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I see us as good trading partners we need both types of guys weather it's Manson for that tough stay at home style of guy or Byram and smooth skating top pairing potential two way guy. just be interesting if we have the pieces you guys would want to make a deal happen.

Manson seems to make more sense since Byram would likely require a pretty big piece the other way.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Johansson 4 mil I would think gets dumped
Colton as well 4 mil

Not living up to there contract

Could see Girard being traded nor someone I would want

Manson yes

there already thin up front why would they try and save there when there deep on defense and have a guy playing 3rd pairing making 4 million not because he's not a good top 4 guy but because they have 5 Dmen making 3.8 million or more. Colton as an example is there 4th highest points on the team and your going to dump him? Ryjo is 6th in points on the team for forwards.

Byram has a good year and asks for 7-8 next summer how they fitting that in? Bowen has probably the most value in terms of trade to get cheaper quality ELC guys back to. he makes the most sense.

Edit: btw Colton and Ryjo are currently there 2nd and 3rd line centers so who is going to fill those roles? those are gapping holes on a NHL team.

Reactions: John Mandalorian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad