Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
problem with Domi is his position isn't a top priority for this team. the 2 top priorities are Nylander and 2 top 4 Dmen. then after that who will be along side Woll in goal. followed by a third line center. and while Domi's currently playing that role I would rather find a guy who can kill penalties as well as produce offensively. that's not Domi. following those priorities there there might be money for a winger or bottom pairing Dmen which Domi could potentially fill.

I'd like to see the Leafs go the way of the Bruins and go find a Pavel Zacha or Morgan Geekie to fill that 3rd line role. Whether that's top 10 pick underachiever, big body player, etc. Just get someone whose been through development, seen a bit, has a rugged frame and can be slotted into a role.

Reactions: horner and -DeMo-

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd like to see the Leafs go the way of the Bruins and go find a Pavel Zacha or Morgan Geekie to fill that 3rd line role. Whether that's top 10 pick underachiever, big body player, etc. Just get someone whose been through development, seen a bit, has a rugged frame and can be slotted into a role.
Rasmussen in Detroit fits that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hildeby and Minten are of limits.
Hildeby may be better than Woll.
Give you head ashamed.

If were trading for a defenseman were going to have to trade something of value

If Hildeby and Minten are off limits I'd presume Cowan is as well so our 1st Niemela and ?

There isn't much left of value after those guys

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
How much do you watch them and are we just seeing different things?

I don't watch them alot but it would be hard to believe when they have other options Colorado would continue to play a guy 22 mins a game last year who had 24 points in 42 games 48 point pace which is pretty solid for a 21 year old Dmen if he was playing poorly. and again into this year his points are down a bit but still being deployed as there third Dmen. but maybe you could explain how he's played if you've watched him more

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Even guys who put up 35-40 points but play great defense cost plenty, every team has a use for that type of player and there aren't many of them available

We can walk and chew gum at the same time

If Domi is a fit we could resign him while we look for defensive upgrades, depending on how you feel about him

I'll start with the last point I would hate to re-sign Domi and then miss out on a UFA because we couldn't go that extra million because we signed Domi. thats all. and the thing is if we waited on Domi and he signed elsewhere I wouldn't be too upset we do have internal options like Minten who might be capable. also you don't need to fill all the holes in the summer either. it could be done at the deadline, or during the year.

but guys like Dickinson/Wennberg/Stephenson/Monahan heck maybe Toews if he decided to try and play again. all could be options on the UFA market these guys all kill penalties. don't know what they will get offer wise. maybe there's someone on another team who they want to get rid of ala Ryjo trade colorado made last year and we could get someone decent at half price for free. I don't know what options are out there. maybe a young player hits the waiver wire we could give a try to.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I don't watch them alot but it would be hard to believe when they have other options Colorado would continue to play a guy 22 mins a game last year who had 24 points in 42 games 48 point pace which is pretty solid for a 21 year old Dmen if he was playing poorly. and again into this year his points are down a bit but still being deployed as there third Dmen. but maybe you could explain how he's played if you've watched him more

He seems a bit slower in spots.. he struggles in the d zone on reads and position.. and from what i have watched gives up a lot of chances

He relies heavily on his stick but with behing behind a step he lets guys go a lot.. he visibly plays to avoid contact which is understandable

I have also noticed he has some puzzling offensive reads consistently.. bad pinching or late rotations..

With all that said he still has good spots as well.. hes just erratic. Yes he is very youmg still and the cup playoffs were probably an adrenaline blur but in the same breath he has played very inconsistent last year and this year

His ice time context can be looked at as
- manson cant stay healthy and finally is and has started to look better
- makar in and out
- girards issues causing odd play then rehab
- malinski breaking in and being sheltered a bit

With girard back and manson getting up to speed his ice time will go down.. girard who looked pretty good first game back will see his ice time rise - bednar loves using him mix and match .. like he used byram on their run and so far this year.. girard is just more stable

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'll start with the last point I would hate to re-sign Domi and then miss out on a UFA because we couldn't go that extra million because we signed Domi. thats all. and the thing is if we waited on Domi and he signed elsewhere I wouldn't be too upset we do have internal options like Minten who might be capable. also you don't need to fill all the holes in the summer either. it could be done at the deadline, or during the year.

but guys like Dickinson/Wennberg/Stephenson/Monahan heck maybe Toews if he decided to try and play again. all could be options on the UFA market these guys all kill penalties. don't know what they will get offer wise. maybe there's someone on another team who they want to get rid of ala Ryjo trade colorado made last year and we could get someone decent at half price for free. I don't know what options are out there. maybe a young player hits the waiver wire we could give a try to.

Fair enough

I think Domi at 3M is pretty solid value, he's probably going to get 50 odd points with minimal PP time
Honestly I like him more than most of the guys you've listed and he's already proven he works with the guys on our roster

I think Minten might need some time to develop his offensive game and I wouldn't trust 3C to a waiver wire pickup

We signed Kampf to do the defensive work so I think we can carry an offense first 3rd line

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
They're never going to just give up on the year.
They should, because this group is not good enough. We lose in the playoffs, we lose against bottom of the league teams, we need help in goal, defense and forward positions, and we are short on the number of assets we have to address those needs. We had a team during last season's playoffs that should have gone far. They shit the bed in the second round, as they've done in years past, but in the first. Individually, we have and have had some exceptional talent. As a group there is something missing. I'm not angry about it, I still enjoy watching the game, but I truly believe this team cannot contend for the cup.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They're never going to just give up on the year.

They should, because this group is not good enough. We lose in the playoffs, we lose against bottom of the league teams, we need help in goal, defense and forward positions, and we are short on the number of assets we have to address those needs. We had a team during last season's playoffs that should have gone far. They shit the bed in the second round, as they've done in years past, but in the first. Individually, we have and have had some exceptional talent. As a group there is something missing. I'm not angry about it, I still enjoy watching the game, but I truly believe this team cannot contend for the cup.

You're both right.

They won't give up on the year but they should hedge their bets.

Basically assume they're playing Florida, are they winning? Probably not.

It's one thing to see a guy like Bertuzzi walk, you got him for nothing.

In terms of Nylander, I have maintained that he needs to be under contract prior to the TDL or you move him, utilize those assets in the off-season to either build up the prospect pool or to trade for a different piece that could help the roster.

Reactions: horner

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Rasmussen in Detroit fits that.
I used to mention his name around here quite a bit but Ras has been playing the wing and seems like a better fit there.

Michael McLeod would be another name I’m interested in. We should be looking at players with speed. Having McLeod and Jarnkrok on the third line provides a lot of speed, forechecking, good in the circle and two-way.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would really like to see the Leafs develop youth, mainly from within.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Liljegren, Knies, maybe Minten, maybe Cowen, maybe Woll and Hildeby through the draft.

Previously Hyman and Holl, now maybe Timmins through early-career trades.

This is the type of player acquisition and development I would like to see more of.

I'm not much in favor of their mid- to late-career rentals and add-ons at the expense of future assets, such as O'Reilly, Foligno and the countless others they've blown picks and prospects for.

I'm indifferent to Tavares because all he cost was cap space, but of course that too carries a significant opportunity cost.

There's no cap on scouting and player development. This is where I think the Leafs should invest huge resources and overwhelm every other franchise to the point that they dominate in that field. Then they could develop their own roster from within, and trade away their good surplus pieces to both succeed in the present and continue to build for the future.

This is what Sam Pollock did so successfully with the Montreal Canadiens leading to their last dynasty. The Leafs have the financial means to do that too.

Why not hire a full-time scout to follow every single Jr. A and Tier I NCAA hockey team in North America, and similar resources in Europe, in addition to their existing scouting staff? Sure, it would cost a fortune, but that's the point: no one else could afford to do that.

The Leafs should have the best information and intelligence on every player transaction. There's no excuse not to do so.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
He seems a bit slower in spots.. he struggles in the d zone on reads and position.. and from what i have watched gives up a lot of chances

He relies heavily on his stick but with behing behind a step he lets guys go a lot.. he visibly plays to avoid contact which is understandable

I have also noticed he has some puzzling offensive reads consistently.. bad pinching or late rotations..

With all that said he still has good spots as well.. hes just erratic. Yes he is very youmg still and the cup playoffs were probably an adrenaline blur but in the same breath he has played very inconsistent last year and this year

His ice time context can be looked at as
- manson cant stay healthy and finally is and has started to look better
- makar in and out
- girards issues causing odd play then rehab
- malinski breaking in and being sheltered a bit

With girard back and manson getting up to speed his ice time will go down.. girard who looked pretty good first game back will see his ice time rise - bednar loves using him mix and match .. like he used byram on their run and so far this year.. girard is just more stable

everything you just said speaks to a player who only has played 128 games and is 22 years old. he's going to be inconsistant expecting him to be a finished product now doesn't really make sense. that's why I have interest in him. Colorado has Makar and just re-signed Toews to a 7+ million. there likely the top pairing moving forward and at 22 still Byram has lots of time to grow and learn to become that top pairing guy he was projected to be that's why I'm interested in trading for him. like I said he's already a good top 4 guy and played that role on a cup winner.

it's extremely hard to trade or sign a top pairing guy not only because they're rarely available but when they are the competition for them is high. nothing you just said worries me about him and his play. and if I was a GM he would be a serious target for me. weather Colorado would move him vs others with there cap problems I don't know.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
everything you just said speaks to a player who only has played 128 games and is 22 years old. he's going to be inconsistant expecting him to be a finished product now doesn't really make sense. that's why I have interest in him. Colorado has Makar and just re-signed Toews to a 7+ million. there likely the top pairing moving forward and at 22 still Byram has lots of time to grow and learn to become that top pairing guy he was projected to be that's why I'm interested in trading for him. like I said he's already a good top 4 guy and played that role on a cup winner.

it's extremely hard to trade or sign a top pairing guy not only because they're rarely available but when they are the competition for them is high. nothing you just said worries me about him and his play. and if I was a GM he would be a serious target for me. weather Colorado would move him vs others with there cap problems I don't know.
Exactly, they say its around the 250 game mark that a defenseman is a known product and usually the most consistent.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How many 3Cs are even going to be available this offseason? Extending Domi seems like a relatively simple solution

The problem is that I would not go a penny over what he's currently making. It's not like he's earned a big pay day either. Maybe he'd take a similar cap hit to finally stay longer? Sometimes a good fit is a good fit but just like with Luke Schenn, sometimes you get offered a pay day and you take it.

I'd rather extend Bertuzzi over Domi but there's room for both of them around the same number they currently have. But not sure this is the core of players I'd try to bring back if the team continues this pace even if individually they are doing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I would really like to see the Leafs develop youth, mainly from within.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Liljegren, Knies, maybe Minten, maybe Cowen, maybe Woll and Hildeby through the draft.

Previously Hyman and Holl, now maybe Timmins through early-career trades.

This is the type of player acquisition and development I would like to see more of.

I'm not much in favor of their mid- to late-career rentals and add-ons at the expense of future assets, such as O'Reilly, Foligno and the countless others they've blown picks and prospects for.

I'm indifferent to Tavares because all he cost was cap space, but of course that too carries a significant opportunity cost.

There's no cap on scouting and player development. This is where I think the Leafs should invest huge resources and overwhelm every other franchise to the point that they dominate in that field. Then they could develop their own roster from within, and trade away their good surplus pieces to both succeed in the present and continue to build for the future.

This is what Sam Pollock did so successfully with the Montreal Canadiens leading to their last dynasty. The Leafs have the financial means to do that too.

Why not hire a full-time scout to follow every single Jr. A and Tier I NCAA hockey team in North America, and similar resources in Europe, in addition to their existing scouting staff? Sure, it would cost a fortune, but that's the point: no one else could afford to do that.

The Leafs should have the best information and intelligence on every player transaction. There's no excuse not to do so.
I like this sentiment but is Keefe really the coach to develop these young players?

So far he’s proven to be the opposite, where young players who do well, do it in spite of Keefe, not because of him.

Reactions: supermann_98

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Faif enough.. and i get it, i find myself saying 'but hes xx age' to

i am just starting to feel a bit differently about byram thats all..

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There's no cap on scouting and player development. This is where I think the Leafs should invest huge resources and overwhelm every other franchise to the point that they dominate in that field.

This idea really only works on paper, and, in fact, many many years ago I was at a luncheon that Richard Peddie was the keynote speaker on and he was discussing the challenges of operating MLSE and he addressed this very idea as something that "people on the street" often would say to him: "Why don't the Leafs flex their financial might in all of the non-capped areas that would give them a competitive advantage?" Just blanket every hockey league with scouts and be, by far the best in the league in terms of knowing what is out there.

Peddie pointed out the big flaw with this plan and why this investment of resources and money wouldn't do much to help them. The reality is, when you have five times as many scouts out there, you don't unearth all kinds of gems that nobody knew about, instead, when your pick comes at #21, instead of having two scouts passionately making a case for their guy and then a choice being made, you instead have six guys making six cases for six different guys and again, someone has to make a choice.

Identifying a handful of players you really like doesn't mean much if other teams pick them before you even get to your choice. You still need to choose who you want and they still need to be available when your pick comes. Spending $25 million more on scouting then your opponents is more a waste of resources then an investment in winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and Ciao

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This idea really only works on paper, and, in fact, many many years ago I was at a luncheon that Richard Peddie was the keynote speaker on and he was discussing the challenges of operating MLSE and he addressed this very idea as something that "people on the street" often would say to him: "Why don't the Leafs flex their financial might in all of the non-capped areas that would give them a competitive advantage?" Just blanket every hockey league with scouts and be, by far the best in the league in terms of knowing what is out there.

Peddie pointed out the big flaw with this plan and why this investment of resources and money wouldn't do much to help them. The reality is, when you have five times as many scouts out there, you don't unearth all kinds of gems that nobody knew about, instead, when your pick comes at #21, instead of having two scouts passionately making a case for their guy and then a choice being made, you instead of six guys making six cases for six different guys and again, someone has to make a choice.

Identifying a handful of players you really like doesn't mean much if other teams pick them before you even get to your choice. You still need to choose who you want and they still need to be available when your pick comes. Spending $25 million more on scouting then your opponents is more a waste of resources then an investment in winning.
Point taken.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like this sentiment but is Keefe really the coach to develop these young players?

So far he’s proven to be the opposite, where young players who do well, do it in spite of Keefe, not because of him.
Beats me. I'm really not knowledgeable enough to evaluate that.

Hopefully, there's people in the Leafs' organization wno could figure that out :)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Kyper just said Leafs and Nylander are trending towards a deal and want to get it done before the ASG (feb, 3rd)

"Looking like it will be a number above 11 million, and 8 years" (paraphrased)

Said it on his show, take it for what you will

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Kyper just said Leafs and Nylander are trending towards a deal and want to get it done before the ASG (feb, 3rd)

1704232257624.png

……. Mitchy.

…… but yeah, Kypreos knows less than my cats. Still done with him for insisting Knies be moved for Patti Kane last TDL or the Leafs weren’t serious about winning. Asshat.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

If they give him anywhere near 11 mil they’ve completely lost their minds……..

View attachment 794542
……. Mitchy.

…… but yeah, Kypreos knows less than my cats. Still done with him for insisting Knies be moved for Patti Kane last TDL or the Leafs weren’t serious about winning. Asshat.
That’s the only play that makes it work, and even then Nylander will never live up to a 11 mil per contract………

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad