Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
1 @ 13.25, 1 @ 11.25, 1 @ 11, 1 @ 10.893, 1 @ 7.5, 1 @ 2.5, 1 @ 2 = 58.395

That leaves 29.3m to fill out the roster if cap rises to 87.7m.

Welcome to cap hell. You can check out any time you like, but Leafs can never leave.
Forgetting
1 @ 2.4. 1@ 2.1, 1@ 1.1, 1@ .925, 1 @ 800k 1@ .767

Knies-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
xxx-xxx-Jarncrok
xxx-Kampf-xxx
Holmberg

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
xxx-Timmins
xxx

Woll
xxx

With 22.35 remaining. Gregor and Benoit likely fill 4LW and 3LD for 1.9 combined, pencil in 2 ELC's (I used Cowan and Minten).

18.7 for extending Liljegren, a strong RHD, a spare D, 2x Forwards, and a goalie. Figure the spare D is 900k, 17.8 (3.56 per), across the other 5.

Tight but doable, no room for error.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Forgetting

Knies-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
xxx-xxx-Jarncrok
xxx-Kampf-xxx
Holmberg

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
xxx-Timmins
xxx

Woll
xxx

With 22.35 remaining. Gregor and Benoit likely fill 4LW and 3LD for 1.9 combined, pencil in 2 ELC's (I used Cowan and Minten).

18.7 for extending Liljegren, a strong RHD, a spare D, 2x Forwards, and a goalie. Figure the spare D is 900k, 17.8 (3.56 per), across the other 5.

That’s just the same not-good-enough-team again….

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That’s just the same not-good-enough-team again….
Depends how we spend the money, how the ELC's do, and if Liljgren keeps progressing.

The better teams aren't better because they go out and acquire name brand all-stars at face value for all points in the depth chart. The cap doesn't allow it. They're better because they choose the right depth players, because their ELC's deliver, because cheaper players exceed expectations.

Take one team. Florida got Forsling off waivers, Montour for a 3rd. Signed Verhaege for a million. Currently their forwards 7-13 make a combined 7.2 million.

A healthy rangers team has 4 forwards making under 850k, another 3 under 3.7

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Forgetting

Knies-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
xxx-xxx-Jarncrok
xxx-Kampf-xxx
Holmberg

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
xxx-Timmins
xxx

Woll
xxx

Get Timmins out of there and replace with Benoit and it looks like a start

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Depends how we spend the money, how the ELC's do, and if Liljgren keeps progressing.

I suppose it does, but let's be realistic about projections. We have big holes to fill, so we can either trade some of our few good trade pieces or use limited cap space. We don't have many potential ELCs to break out. Liljegren would have to start progressing - he's been the same guy for 3 years now.

The better teams aren't better because they go out and acquire name brand all-stars at face value for all points in the depth chart. The cap doesn't allow it. They're better because they choose the right depth players, because their ELC's deliver, because cheaper players exceed expectations.

The better teams are better because they are more balanced. They may spend on their top players, but they recognize the need to have top players at non-forward positions.

Take one team. Florida got Forsling off waivers, Montour for a 3rd. Signed Verhaege for a million. Currently their forwards 7-13 make a combined 7.2 million.

A healthy rangers team has 4 forwards making under 850k, another 3 under 3.7

Both of those teams have more diverse cores. That allows them to be much more flexible in adding their cheaper talent.

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Forgetting

Knies-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
xxx-xxx-Jarncrok
xxx-Kampf-xxx
Holmberg

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
xxx-Timmins
xxx

Woll
xxx

Leafs should have more than enough to find a 3C, 2nd line LW and a top 4 RHD. They just can't spend that money on dumb stuff like Klingbergs and Reaves' of the world... Trelivings track record there is really bad.

Gregor, Robertson and Benoit should be easy re-signings. It's possible prospects like Cowan, Minten, Niemela, etc claw themselves into the lineup but typically, you don't rely on them because it's likely they need more develop time or they just don't play up to their potential in the moment. It's very likely the Leafs will have a couple young players to plug some holes though.

The big X factor will likely be trying to extend Liljegren to a good deal. I really hope they don't cheap out on the term with him.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
1 @ 13.25, 1 @ 11.25, 1 @ 11, 1 @ 10.893, 1 @ 7.5, 1 @ 2.5, 1 @ 2 = 58.395

That leaves 29.3m to fill out the roster if cap rises to 87.7m.

Welcome to cap hell. You can check out any time you like, but Leafs can never leave.
With another lockdown and quite possibly a world war on the horizon I wouldn’t be banking on the cap going up, s league shut down isn’t out of the realm of possibility…….

I'm sure others will disagree but I effing hate the salary cap.
Cap or no cap the Leafs would be screwing things up, that’s a given…….

Reactions: ToneDog

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The better teams are better because they are more balanced. They may spend on their top players, but they recognize the need to have top players at non-forward positions.

Both of those teams have more diverse cores. That allows them to be much more flexible in adding their cheaper talent.
Florida and Toronto both have one defender making 7.5. Our 2 and 3 were slated to make 9.125 going into the year, Florida 5.17.

We have the space to add a 6-7million dollar defender if we so choose next year. But we need more guys in the middle of the roster to deliver more than the cap hits

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Florida and Toronto both have one defender making 7.5. Our 2 and 3 were slated to make 9.125 going into the year, Florida 5.17.

We have the space to add a 6-7million dollar defender if we so choose next year. But we need more guys in the middle of the roster to deliver more than the cap hits
we have the room for two top 4 Dmen and can spend up to around 13-14 million on next years cap if we need to, to fit them in even with Nylander making 11.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Forgetting

Knies-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
xxx-xxx-Jarncrok
xxx-Kampf-xxx
Holmberg

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
xxx-Timmins
xxx

Woll
xxx

Let's pretend Leafs have some players who aren't in the NHL today.

Kokkonen
Niemela

Steeves
Minten
Cowan - for 9 games
Grebyonkin - been playing in men's league for 2 years now

Bellows - not under contract, but if he continues to look good I doubt he'd need more than minimum.

It looks like the Leafs future may be dependent on their drafting.
The good thing is none of their drafts have to be homeruns, as all they need are singles they already have their consistent long ball hitters.

Imagine if they had to sign any of their top 6 players in free agency, competing against teams with more than $15mm in Cap Space?

Reactions: 4thline

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs should have more than enough to find a 3C, 2nd line LW and a top 4 RHD. They just can't spend that money on dumb stuff like Klingbergs and Reaves' of the world... Trelivings track record there is really bad.

Gregor, Robertson and Benoit should be easy re-signings. It's possible prospects like Cowan, Minten, Niemela, etc claw themselves into the lineup but typically, you don't rely on them because it's likely they need more develop time or they just don't play up to their potential in the moment. It's very likely the Leafs will have a couple young players to plug some holes though.

The big X factor will likely be trying to extend Liljegren to a good deal. I really hope they don't cheap out on the term with him.
If Liljegren keeps progressing and stays healthy this year, he should be given medium term at least. All though the TSN/Overdrive guys might quit hockey if that happens

Reactions: SprDaVE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
View attachment 794542
……. Mitchy.

…… but yeah, Kypreos knows less than my cats. Still done with him for insisting Knies be moved for Patti Kane last TDL or the Leafs weren’t serious about winning. Asshat.

He called the Matthews contract parameters like a month out on 3-5 years and $250K over what he signed for. I think at a certain point they just leak the details in the ballpark and get the public to pre-digest everything.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Get a nice close up look @ Max Comtois tonight against the Marlies, Stat line looks good, would easily take a chance on him

Wonder what the difference is between a Max Comtois and a Keiffer Bellows. Relatively even stat lines, about 6 months apart, Comtois is listed as an inch taller and about 15 lbs heavier. Just based on NHL production I'd rather take the gamble on Comtois, but I dont know how either look this year in their roles.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just for fun. If Tampa falls out of the race, plummets to the bottom of the Atlantic, Jon Cooper gets fired, team looks like it’s willing to turn the page in a big way, Stamkos out the door… does it create a small sliver of an opening for conversation to be had about the possibility of maybe one Victor Hedman? And if so is he final piece you go all in on?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Wonder what the difference is between a Max Comtois and a Keiffer Bellows. Relatively even stat lines, about 6 months apart, Comtois is listed as an inch taller and about 15 lbs heavier. Just based on NHL production I'd rather take the gamble on Comtois, but I dont know how either look this year in their roles.
Its peaked my interest enough to want to catch this game and compare the 2. Max's skill and size would give him the edge I think but what do i know lol

Reactions: dubplatepressure

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
if were talking roster salary right now what do people think these RFA's will likely sign for?

Benoit, Gregor, Robertson, and Liljegren?

Benoit has 0 points so far and while he's been solid, I really don't think you give him more than 900k, maybe pushing 1M if there is term. You really can't give that kind of player too much.

Gregor is more or less in the same boat. He's on pace for 12 goals, so he's likely going to get a little more. 1x1.25M seems fair? 2x1.5? That would be my absolute max before he becomes replaceable.

Robertson is QO acceptance level. 800k or so I believe. Probably 1 more year as a full timer and then re-assess.

Liljegren to me is a 5-6 year ~5M player signing. But we'll see how he finishes the year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Benoit has 0 points so far and while he's been solid, I really don't think you give him more than 900k, maybe pushing 1M if there is term. You really can't give that kind of player too much.

Gregor is more or less in the same boat. He's on pace for 12 goals, so he's likely going to get a little more. 1x1.25M seems fair? 2x1.5? That would be my absolute max before he becomes replaceable.

Robertson is QO acceptance level. 800k or so I believe. Probably 1 more year as a full timer and then re-assess.

Liljegren to me is a 5-6 year ~5M player signing. But we'll see how he finishes the year.

I think contracts that can be buried work for Benoit and Gregor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad