Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Get a nice close up look @ Max Comtois tonight against the Marlies, Stat line looks good, would easily take a chance on him
If people really aren’t feeling Robertson, Comtois is a very solid backup 3LW option.

He definitely merits consideration. Put him on the 4th line and make him work if Robertson starts to show what we are looking for him.

Last year’s playoffs our lack of LW depth was exposed when we had Kerfoot doing a bunch of nothing offensively and we had no other options than to overplay him.

Come on Tre, you did good with one French guy from Anaheim (Benoit). Go 2/2 with another Anaheim French guy….. :)

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
If people really aren’t feeling Robertson, Comtois is a very solid backup 3LW option.

He definitely merits consideration. Put him on the 4th line and make him work if Robertson starts to show what we are looking for him.

Last year’s playoffs our lack of LW depth was exposed when we had Kerfoot doing a bunch of nothing offensively and we had no other options than to overplay him.

Come on Tre, you did good with one French guy from Anaheim (Benoit). Go 2/2 with another Anaheim French guy….. :)
Wholeheartedly agree with you

Already have a perfect replacement in Minten as well.
Really don't want Minten playing 4th line minutes either, Either 3C in the NHL or 1C with the Marlies

Reactions: horner

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Really don't want Minten playing 4th line minutes either, Either 3C in the NHL or 1C with the Marlies
Kampf plays a little over 13 minutes a game. You can easily replace those 13 minutes with Minten. You take a look at a guy like Jenner, came in and averaged 14 minutes in his first NHL season. Not much of a difference. It’s not always a bad idea to ease a defensive center into the league then throwing him into such an important role as a 3C is come playoff time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Benoit has 0 points so far and while he's been solid, I really don't think you give him more than 900k, maybe pushing 1M if there is term. You really can't give that kind of player too much.

Gregor is more or less in the same boat. He's on pace for 12 goals, so he's likely going to get a little more. 1x1.25M seems fair? 2x1.5? That would be my absolute max before he becomes replaceable.

Robertson is QO acceptance level. 800k or so I believe. Probably 1 more year as a full timer and then re-assess.

Liljegren to me is a 5-6 year ~5M player signing. But we'll see how he finishes the year.

Liljegren at a $5 million over 6 year deal feels proportionately very high for a non breakout, non statistically flashy, not a second contract young stud, not a veteran defensive stalwart like Brodie was up until recently.

Like $4 million feels more grounded. 2-3 years, pay as you go?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just for fun. If Tampa falls out of the race, plummets to the bottom of the Atlantic, Jon Cooper gets fired, team looks like it’s willing to turn the page in a big way, Stamkos out the door… does it create a small sliver of an opening for conversation to be had about the possibility of maybe one Victor Hedman? And if so is he final piece you go all in on?

If they want to go the rental route, yes

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
if were talking roster salary right now what do people think these RFA's will likely sign for?

Benoit, Gregor, Robertson, and Liljegren?
I'd actually be just as interested in the term on these deals.

I'd prefer not to give term to Benoit and Gregor given the placement of each in the current lineup (while preferably not exceeding 1M). I'd probably be fine with giving Robertson a two-year deal if the AAV made sense (unless it becomes a matter of accepting his QO). Liljegren is the one out of this lot that I'd be comfortable with giving the most term to (3-5 years); although I'd be unsure about placing an exact AAV on that contract due to the potential variance in term.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just for fun. If Tampa falls out of the race, plummets to the bottom of the Atlantic, Jon Cooper gets fired, team looks like it’s willing to turn the page in a big way, Stamkos out the door… does it create a small sliver of an opening for conversation to be had about the possibility of maybe one Victor Hedman? And if so is he final piece you go all in on?
There is no going all in with our goaltending and defense. Hedman would be huge but I doubt he puts us over the top.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Our first rounder from 2019, #22 overall. Part of the Muzzin deal!

Still ended up being a fine trade for both teams. Got great years out of Muzzin before injuries hit him. Man I miss him. Need another Muzzin on this team.
LA got Durzi, good player who was shipped out. Grundstorm is a 3rd liner. Bjonfort is young still but now on waivers.
Both teams should have no issues on the trade

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I believe Einstein called it insanity.
I've questioned this idea from the jump (Tavares signing), and I'd still be skeptical even if they had won 2 or 3 rounds since 2018. But there's nothing really...

What and to whom is Shanahan trying to prove?

It's not some departure on skill either like some think, but it's getting away from an economic and roster structure that hasn't worked in the past, and they've done nothing in the last 5 years to convince that it can work.

Look at TB, Col, and Vegas, particularly the defence, but also the depth, especially with Vegas and TB.

I get the idea that fans and even management get attached to players, Obviously so, but the benefit of the doubt has expired, Mr. Shanahan.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Still ended up being a fine trade for both teams. Got great years out of Muzzin before injuries hit him. Man I miss him. Need another Muzzin on this team.
LA got Durzi, good player who was shipped out. Grundstorm is a 3rd liner. Bjonfort is young still but now on waivers.
Both teams should have no issues on the trade
I'll take Durzi, thanks; Grundstrom also would look quite nice in the bottom 6 right now, as well.

A RD was needed at the time (still is, 4 years later), and they got another lefty... okay.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I find this interesting.

He's 31, with 141 career NHL games.

Hawks have 1 D on IR, and 6 forwards.

Something up, or just too much stress on their youngsters? Four d under 23.

The Chicago Blackhawks claimed defenceman Jaycob Megna off waivers from the Seattle Kraken on Wednesday.

Chicago claims Jaycob Megna off waivers from Seattle.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) January 3, 2024
Megna, 31, did not appear with the Kraken this season and has only appeared in two games with the AHL's Coachella Valley Firebirds, recording a goal.

The 6-foot-6 defenceman appeared in 48 games last season with the San Jose Sharks, recording a goal and 12 points.

Seattle acquired Megna in February of 2023 from the Sharks in exchange for a draft pick.

Megna was drafted 210th overall by the Anaheim Ducks in the 2012 draft and has four goals and 25 points in 141 career games split between Ducks, Sharks and Kraken.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'll take Durzi, thanks; Grundstrom also would look quite nice in the bottom 6 right now, as well.

A RD was needed at the time (still is, 4 years later), and they got another lefty... okay.
Brant Clarke could be Scott Niedermayer all over again............

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Kappy was put on the 4th line when he came up and scored a big OT winner for us. If Minten can play, we need him with the big team IMO.

Do we claim Tobias Bjornfot? Basically the 2019 Toronto first rounder that went to LA for Jake Muzzin.
Doubt it:

1704311485476.png

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Do we claim Tobias Bjornfot? Basically the 2019 Toronto first rounder that went to LA for Jake Muzzin.
I don't see the need for it now that the blueline contingent has become healthy again. He's also been lacking in results despite having the draft pedigree.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad