Ted Talk: Adam Fox is the Most Underrated Player in the NHL

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Welcome to My Ted Talk!

Adam Fox has started to become the most underrated player in the NHL.

In the past few months we've seen NHL Network and ESPN rank the best defensemen in the NHL and he has landed at 8 for NHL Network and 7 for ESPN.

Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedman, Heiskanen, and Dahlin all were ahead of him for ESPN, while the first 5 and also McAvoy and Forsling were ahead of him for NHL Network. TSN was the most generous to Fox and still had him only listed 4th (Makar, Hughes, and Josi).

That's an average between these three lists of 6.33. If you believe these publications, there are on average at least 6 and maybe 7 better defensemen in the NHL than Adam Fox.

Yet, Fox in the last four seasons (since his second NHL season and his first season he only finished a disappointing 4th in the Calder) has not finished below 5th in the Norris voting (4, 2, 5, 1). How could a player who has not finished below 5th for best defenseman in the NHL the last four years, along with having a Norris win in that stretch, not be a top 5 defenseman in the NHL?

Fox is not a declining player either. He is only 26. Dahlin, Heiskanen, and Forsling have never finished above Fox in the Norris voting, while McAvoy has only done it once. At the same time, Makar, Hughes, Josi, and Hedman have the same exact number of Norris trophies as Fox. How they are widely viewed ahead of him (especially those other than Makar) is hard to believe.

Fox drives play on both ends of the ice. He puts up some of the best advanced stats in the league yearly offensively and defensively. He plays all situations, tough minutes, he's usually one of the leading scorers amongst defensemen in the league, he's performed well in the playoffs in his career, and has arguably been the best player on one of the best teams in the league the last 5 years.

Even still, it has become an almost unanimous talking point that Fox is not the best player on his own team. It has become almost incessant to say Igor Shestyorkin is the Rangers best player. I am as big of a Shestyorkin fan as anyone, but I think it would be unfair to Fox to claim Shestyorkin is in another league from Fox. At most, you could say Shestyorkin has a slight edge, but over time I think there have been plenty of long stretches where Fox has been the better player and the overall picture could lean Fox's direction (same number of major award wins, more consistent in the regular season, plays more games). It really should be a position comparison of whether you take the defenseman or goaltender, but it seems like almost everyone just wants to hand this title to the goaltender without any thought.

Fox isn't the biggest or best skater. I'll grant you that. There are reasons why one might prefer to watch some of these other defensemen. And playoffs are the highest stakes time and there's almost no one better in hockey during that time than Shestyorkin. Yet, Fox's impact year in, year out has started to become overshadowed by shinier objects, even though he's only 26, in the prime of his career, and one of the most decorated defensemen of his era.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
While he is super underrated to say most in the NHL is laughable. He is in my opinion definitively in the top 4 defensemen (I have him in the same tier as Josi) and he deserves more recognition in this manner but he's still largely considered always in the running to win the Norris every year before the season starts.

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
1729047045436.png

But as far as the title goes.....no he's not.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I kinda feel like he took a bit of a step back the last couple of seasons, but I haven't watched any of his play this year.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Underrated? Absolutely. Criminally, in fact. But in the entire league? Ehhh, that's pushing it quite a bit. ESPN is notorious for being, well, stupid. So I really don't put much stock in their top ten lists. Most have Fox somewhere in their top five, which is right where he should be.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
the difference between 1 and 10 for top defensemen in extremely thin, if you're consistently ranked in the top 10, you aren't being underrated.

Reactions: CBJx614

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Too long, won’t read.

Isn’t Fox generally regarded as a top defenceman in the league?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
is connor fox quietly becoming one of the loudest underrated monkeyspank trampoline? umbrellas!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He isn't underrated at all. If he was, he wouldn't of ever got any Norris consideration.

Though as it stands, he got lucky that Makar was hurt in 2021, otherwise he'd have 0 Norris'.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Even in your post you say the media has him ranked at an average of 6.33 and you say he's deserving of being ranked top 5. So all of this to say he's ranked 1.33 too low and that makes him the most underrated player in the NHL? That doesn't add up bud.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I subscribe to this TED and fully support this message. Makar and Hughes are more dynamic players (exciting) but they are not better all-around defensemen than Fox. To suggest the likes of Dahlin, Forsling, and Josi are...well that's laughable. To me, the guy that really gets the shaft is McAvoy.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He isn't underrated at all. If he was, he wouldn't of ever got any Norris consideration.

Though as it stands, he got lucky that Makar was hurt in 2021, otherwise he'd have 0 Norris'.
HE would/should still have 1

2020- Carlson instead of Josi
2021 - Makar instead of Fox
2022 - Josi instead of Makar
2023 - Fox instead of Karlsson
2024 - Hughes slightly over Makar so rigjt outcome

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's top 8 defensemen IMO, whatever his position after that is a matter of opinion

He's one of the best in the league, and I don't Buy at all in this weird Ranger Fan victimhood

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Even in your post you say the media has him ranked at an average of 6.33 and you say he's deserving of being ranked top 5. So all of this to say he's ranked 1.33 too low and that makes him the most underrated player in the NHL? That doesn't add up bud.

Yea 1.33 isn't much.

I don't really get this. Maybe if he was ranked at #20

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s pretty much universally regarded as a top 5 defenseman in the NHL today. How on earth is he underrated?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is a thread because at worst Fox should be 2-3 spots higher than some list from NHL and ESPN? You want to say Fox should be rated higher, fine, but we don't need a Fox is the most underrated player in the NHL.

- Signed NYR fan.

Reactions: UnSandvich

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Welcome to My Ted Talk!

Adam Fox has started to become the most underrated player in the NHL.

In the past few months we've seen NHL Network and ESPN rank the best defensemen in the NHL and he has landed at 8 for NHL Network and 7 for ESPN.

Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedman, Heiskanen, and Dahlin all were ahead of him for ESPN, while the first 5 and also McAvoy and Forsling were ahead of him for NHL Network. TSN was the most generous to Fox and still had him only listed 4th (Makar, Hughes, and Josi).

That's an average between these three lists of 6.33. If you believe these publications, there are on average at least 6 and maybe 7 better defensemen in the NHL than Adam Fox.

Yet, Fox in the last four seasons (since his second NHL season and his first season he only finished a disappointing 4th in the Calder) has not finished below 5th in the Norris voting (4, 2, 5, 1). How could a player who has not finished below 5th for best defenseman in the NHL the last four years, along with having a Norris win in that stretch, not be a top 5 defenseman in the NHL?

Fox is not a declining player either. He is only 26. Dahlin, Heiskanen, and Forsling have never finished above Fox in the Norris voting, while McAvoy has only done it once. At the same time, Makar, Hughes, Josi, and Hedman have the same exact number of Norris trophies as Fox. How they are widely viewed ahead of him (especially those other than Makar) is hard to believe.

Fox drives play on both ends of the ice. He puts up some of the best advanced stats in the league yearly offensively and defensively. He plays all situations, tough minutes, he's usually one of the leading scorers amongst defensemen in the league, he's performed well in the playoffs in his career, and has arguably been the best player on one of the best teams in the league the last 5 years.

Even still, it has become an almost unanimous talking point that Fox is not the best player on his own team. It has become almost incessant to say Igor Shestyorkin is the Rangers best player. I am as big of a Shestyorkin fan as anyone, but I think it would be unfair to Fox to claim Shestyorkin is in another league from Fox. At most, you could say Shestyorkin has a slight edge, but over time I think there have been plenty of long stretches where Fox has been the better player and the overall picture could lean Fox's direction (same number of major award wins, more consistent in the regular season, plays more games). It really should be a position comparison of whether you take the defenseman or goaltender, but it seems like almost everyone just wants to hand this title to the goaltender without any thought.

Fox isn't the biggest or best skater. I'll grant you that. There are reasons why one might prefer to watch some of these other defensemen. And playoffs are the highest stakes time and there's almost no one better in hockey during that time than Shestyorkin. Yet, Fox's impact year in, year out has started to become overshadowed by shinier objects, even though he's only 26, in the prime of his career, and one of the most decorated defensemen of his era.
First, stop counting ESPN for anything hockey related.

Second, its fair to have Fox listed behind Makar, Hughes, Josi and Hedman. I would argue Heiskanen as well, but I wouldn't argue if you had Fox ahead of him either. Having him ranked in the 5 - 7 area isn't as awful as you are suggesting it is. That's really, really good. A player can't be the most underrated if he is already ranked really highly. I'd save that title for a player who everyone says sucks but is really a good player. I think you're taking these rankings too seriously, and possibly, too personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad