Ted Talk: Adam Fox is the Most Underrated Player in the NHL

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yet, Fox in the last four seasons (since his second NHL season and his first season he only finished a disappointing 4th in the Calder) has not finished below 5th in the Norris voting (4, 2, 5, 1).
This the strange part for me. You suggest he's underrated and then point to the fact he's been top 5 in voting for Norris every year for the past 4 years (i.e. every year except his rookie year). He's clearly getting the recognition, how could he be underrated? I see you pointing to ESPN ranking lists, etc....but who cares, those things are meaningless, some are downright laughable.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
A player can't be the most underrated if he is already ranked really highly.
Totally agree he's not underrated, but someone can be ranked really highly and still be underrated. In his case though, yeah, he's ranked between 5-7 in most lists, something like that....you can argue he could be higher, you could argue he could be lower, it's not that obvious, so certainly not where I'd suggest there is something wrong here, guy is seriously underrated....

Whenever someone talks about overrated and underrated, I always start with how they are rated first, for obvious reasons, but a lot of times people forget that. As an example, everyone on the planet may agree that player X is the best player in the world, including me, but I could still suggest that player is overrated depending on how he is rated. That rating would obviously need to go beyond simply being rated #1 of course....it would go along the lines of suggesting the player is the best, 3 tiers above the next best player, close to Gretzky's level, etc......if that is a general sentiment for someone, I could very well suggest they are the best but overrated at the same time.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Totally agree he's not underrated, but someone can be ranked really highly and still be underrated. In his case though, yeah, he's ranked between 5-7 in most lists, something like that....you can argue he could be higher, you could argue he could be lower, it's not that obvious, so certainly not where I'd suggest there is something wrong here, guy is seriously underrated....

Whenever someone talks about overrated and underrated, I always start with how they are rated first, for obvious reasons, but a lot of times people forget that. As an example, everyone on the planet may agree that player X is the best player in the world, including me, but I could still suggest that player is overrated depending on how he is rated. That rating would obviously need to go beyond simply being rated #1 of course....it would go along the lines of suggesting the player is the best, 3 tiers above the next best player, close to Gretzky's level, etc......if that is a general sentiment for someone, I could very well suggest they are the best but overrated at the same time.
I never said they couldn't. I said a player ranked really highly probably shouldn't be in the conversation for most underrated in the NHL. There's a big difference in between being underrated and being the most underrated, like the OP was posing.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I never said they couldn't. I said a player ranked really highly probably shouldn't be in the conversation for most underrated in the NHL. There's a big difference in between being underrated and being the most underrated, like the OP was posing.
I get it, totally agree with you, just flagging extreme examples....don't think Fox is underrated at all.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Underrated yes, most underrated lolno. And I am a Rangers fan.

With that said I think with a better partner than Ryan Lindgren I think more people would realize just how good Fox is. Look at Hughes’ improvement once he started playing with Hronek, or Makar with Toews.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I like you Pavs, but man, Fox is pretty widely recognized among the best D players in the entire league. Even among your examples they have him ranked pretty highly (even for ESPN who knows nothing about hockey). Seems like a lot of hubbub of 1-3 spots on a ranking.

There are plenty of other players who are more underrated around the league.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
He’s pretty much universally regarded as a top 5 defenseman in the NHL today. How on earth is he underrated?
According to the OP it’s because his average rank is 6.3 based on the lists mentioned. An entire 1.3 spots below the top 5 ranking OP feels he should be.

Surely thats enough to be considered the most underrated player on the league /s

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have some time for this, and I understand where you’re coming from.

But I think the fact that he has a Norris kind of nerfs this argument a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad