Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

5. To be sure, the Maple Leafs' top trade priority is defence help, particularly on the right side.

Reading between the lines of comments made by coach Sheldon Keefe and GM Brad Treliving this week, Toronto would also like to upgrade its centre depth.

Max Domi has filled in admirably as a third-line pivot, but his trust defensively is iffy. Sense is, the Leafs would prefer a pure pivot and keep Domi as a middle-six utility player.

Three rental names to keep in mind: Anaheim's Adam Henrique, Montreal's Sean Monahan and Seattle's Alexander Wennberg.

The Ducks and Kraken would a) need to declare themselves sellers and b) retain salary for a hypothetical trade to work.

6. Speaking of fake Seattle-Toronto swaps, I like the fit of Will Borgen with the Leafs more than, say, Philadelphia's undersized Sean Walker or left-shot Nick Seeler, although Seeler is super-cheap ($775,000).

Borgen is only 26, so his best shifts may lie ahead. He's a stay-at-home, six-foot-three, 204-pound right shot who blocks shots, lays hits, logs 17 minutes a night and starts 66 per cent of his shifts in the D-zone.

He does the not-so-fun stuff well.

Furthermore, Brad Treliving needs to think about 2024-25 as well, and Borgen (no-trade protection) is signed through that season at a friendly $2.7-million cap hit, after which he turns UFA.

Of course, Seattle would have value in hanging on to the asset as well.
Let's just fix the defense before we start talking about luxury upgrades up front.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think it would be the standard first round pick and a smaller additional piece. Such is the nature of deadline acquisitions.
I should have been less vague. I really am loathe to give up our 1st this year or a even a guy like Cowan. This draft is incredibly deep (especially in defensemen) and Cowan could be on our roster as early as next year with a low cap hit which we desperately need going forward. I'm ok moving anyone else out, and maybe even a future 1st (not 2025 since we moved that already).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Let's just get the D healthy first before spending assets on any fixes to it.
I’m kinda thankful for the injuries the D has encountered, without them we wouldn’t have Benoit and Lagesson wasting away with the Marlies, I were Tre I’d seek other young D men of this ilk and I’d be trying to find new homes for McCabe, Brodie, and Gio……….

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think it would be the standard first round pick and a smaller additional piece. Such is the nature of deadline acquisitions.

Thankfully the Islanders want to keep him. The insanity of acquiring a glorified 4th line center that is turning 33 years old and is signed until he's 36 years (or 37?) old for a 1st round pick and more... Yeeeesh.

He's only scored more than 10 goals in a season once in his career and only was able to put up more than 30 points once in his career. 5 years ago in the same season. Playoffs? 18 points in 75 games. This is not a player worth a premium package.

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Thankfully the Islanders want to keep him. The insanity of acquiring a glorified 4th line center that is turning 33 years old and is signed until he's 36 years (or 37?) old for a 1st round pick and more... Yeeeesh.

He's only scored more than 10 goals in a season once in his career and only was able to put up more than 30 points once in his career. 5 years ago in the same season. Playoffs? 18 points in 75 games. This is not a player worth a premium package.
grass is always greener syndrome.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I should have been less vague. I really am loathe to give up our 1st this year or a even a guy like Cowan. This draft is incredibly deep (especially in defensemen) and Cowan could be on our roster as early as next year with a low cap hit which we desperately need going forward. I'm ok moving anyone else out, and maybe even a future 1st (not 2025 since we moved that already).
I've heard it's an "ok" draft, Cowan I agree, I wouldn't move him.

But if you're going to make a meaningful trade, it could likely involve the 1st.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Wish Leafs would make a pitch to Montreal for Dvo, should be able to get him cheap he played great with marner in the minors.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Not disagreeing. But last game Klingberg, Gio, Lily, and Lagesson were all out and it was their best D game all season coming against a team that was 9-2 in their last 11.

The Leafs D need to get healthy before any moves are made.
Boooo, that's no fun.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kb

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Former Greyhound, Pit ahead in the waiver priority...

Tough ask. ;)
Roger that, Dubas never met a Greyhound he didn’t like regardless of whether they could play hockey or not………

Not disagreeing. But last game Klingberg, Gio, Lily, and Lagesson were all out and it was their best D game all season coming against a team that was 9-2 in their last 11.

The Leafs D need to get healthy before any moves are made.
Bottom six are set with Benoit/Lagesson, so only need to find a capable partner for Morgan and two bruisers for the middle pair. That can’t be too hard or expensive……..

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad