Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Perhaps it was Hughes progressing into what he is today, without Bear?

I kind of liked Bear with the Canucks.

It would not be a bad thing to sign him, IMO, however I'm not sure he's going to be a difference maker?
I am also not sure if he moves the needle, but he happens to be a free wallet.
It would be completely different if we had to trade assets for him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Watch Cizikas and Clutterbuck on Monday night, because those guys could very well be Leafs by the deadline.

Islanders are on a heater (7-1-2 last 10) and 3rd in the Metro (with a negative goal differential). That division is pretty poop so I'd be shocked if they were sellers by the deadline.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I apologize if someone has already raised this same point or offered ideas on it, but we need a top two dman. This means a right shot that can play big minutes and play with Rielly.

I think our depth is fine and adding a bottom four guy doesn't move the dial enough. Who would Zadorov pushed out of the lineup for example? Benoit? Lagesson? Is that a real upgrade? Worth assets and tying up our prescious remaining cap space.

I think this is why Tanev seems like the guy. He improves the PK and allows everyone to slide down the rotation.

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren (or Brodie)
Giordano Brodie (or Liljegren)

..with Benoit, Lagesson, Timmins and even Lajoie as depth guys that can step in (for injury or load management for Gio and Brodie). That's maybe too many. Timmins + a pick for Tanev?

Long post to say, I don't want a second or third pairing guy. Tanev fits the bill, we have the cap space and acquisition fo see t won't be massive and we can probably re-sign him a la Giordano.

Yeah I think we're all in agreement that the Leafs need to find a defenseman that can play tough quality minutes in a positive manner. Brodie is still a good defenseman and more than capable but he has definitely regressed compared to 2-3 years ago... more notably his puck ability is really bad lately.

Not many defenders available fit that bill. Tanev would help tremendously there. Sean Walker would help a lot as well. Not sure I've seen many other RHD available that would really upgrade our defense other than them.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Watch Cizikas and Clutterbuck on Monday night, because those guys could very well be Leafs by the deadline.
Where are you getting this info and who are you giving up for them?

Not being snarky, genuinely interested to know.

Gregor-Czikas-Clutterbuck

I’m intrigued….

Reactions: arso40

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Where are you getting this info and who are you giving up for them?

Not being snarky, genuinely interested to know.

Gregor-Czikas-Clutterbuck

I’m intrigued….
Complete and unsubstantiated speculation on my part. I think the Islanders will ultimately fall out of wild card race, and Clutterbuck will be a UFA. Seems like a perfect Treliving guy. Cizikas would probably be a bit more expensive since he has term left, but he would be a great third line playoff centre for the Leafs.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Id take Clutterbuck to cycle in with Reaves.

3C
3D (2D potential output)
4th line wing

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Marner
Domi - ____ - Jarnkrok(Or Robertson)
Gregor - Kampf - _____

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - ____
Giordano - Liljgren

I wouldn’t mind Clutterbuck, Laughton and Peeke(still don’t know much about em though)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

5. To be sure, the Maple Leafs' top trade priority is defence help, particularly on the right side.

Reading between the lines of comments made by coach Sheldon Keefe and GM Brad Treliving this week, Toronto would also like to upgrade its centre depth.

Max Domi has filled in admirably as a third-line pivot, but his trust defensively is iffy. Sense is, the Leafs would prefer a pure pivot and keep Domi as a middle-six utility player.

Three rental names to keep in mind: Anaheim's Adam Henrique, Montreal's Sean Monahan and Seattle's Alexander Wennberg.

The Ducks and Kraken would a) need to declare themselves sellers and b) retain salary for a hypothetical trade to work.

6. Speaking of fake Seattle-Toronto swaps, I like the fit of Will Borgen with the Leafs more than, say, Philadelphia's undersized Sean Walker or left-shot Nick Seeler, although Seeler is super-cheap ($775,000).

Borgen is only 26, so his best shifts may lie ahead. He's a stay-at-home, six-foot-three, 204-pound right shot who blocks shots, lays hits, logs 17 minutes a night and starts 66 per cent of his shifts in the D-zone.

He does the not-so-fun stuff well.

Furthermore, Brad Treliving needs to think about 2024-25 as well, and Borgen (no-trade protection) is signed through that season at a friendly $2.7-million cap hit, after which he turns UFA.

Of course, Seattle would have value in hanging on to the asset as well.

Reactions: LeafEgo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

5. To be sure, the Maple Leafs' top trade priority is defence help, particularly on the right side.

Reading between the lines of comments made by coach Sheldon Keefe and GM Brad Treliving this week, Toronto would also like to upgrade its centre depth.

Max Domi has filled in admirably as a third-line pivot, but his trust defensively is iffy. Sense is, the Leafs would prefer a pure pivot and keep Domi as a middle-six utility player.

Three rental names to keep in mind: Anaheim's Adam Henrique, Montreal's Sean Monahan and Seattle's Alexander Wennberg.

The Ducks and Kraken would a) need to declare themselves sellers and b) retain salary for a hypothetical trade to work.

6. Speaking of fake Seattle-Toronto swaps, I like the fit of Will Borgen with the Leafs more than, say, Philadelphia's undersized Sean Walker or left-shot Nick Seeler, although Seeler is super-cheap ($775,000).

Borgen is only 26, so his best shifts may lie ahead. He's a stay-at-home, six-foot-three, 204-pound right shot who blocks shots, lays hits, logs 17 minutes a night and starts 66 per cent of his shifts in the D-zone.

Furthermore, Brad Treliving needs to think about 2024-25 as well, and Borgen (no-trade protection) is signed through that season at a friendly $2.7-million cap hit, after which he turns UFA.

"Under sized Sean Walker" please. He's 5'11" and 200 lbs. He's a pretty stocky and sturdy defenseman. The issue isn't that they aren't a big team defensively, they just need good players. Get good players. Would we really turn down someone like say Cale Makar just because he isn't big? Like come on.

We have Benoit and Lagesson to come in and play simple low event minutes. We need someone that can play 21+ minutes a night against top competition, Borgen has never done that. Walker is doing that.

Per Dom's charts at the Athletic:

JOunA9j.png

azcNEiq.png

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
"Under sized Sean Walker" please. He's 5'11" and 200 lbs. He's a pretty stocky and sturdy defenseman. The issue isn't that they aren't a big team defensively, they just need good players. Get good players.

We have Benoit and Lagesson to come in and play simple low event minutes. We need someone that can play 21+ minutes a night against top competition, Borgen has never done that.

JOunA9j.png

azcNEiq.png
Carrier is another, perhaps. Similar build to Walker, right-handed, possibly more offence.

horner

May 22, 2007

Wennberg 4.5 mil no it will cost extra to retain
Monohan his last 10 gms 1pt

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Peeke(still don’t know much about em though)
I waiver on him, but I think his contract duration is too long.

I'm more inclined to take a flyer on Jake Bean, who only has the rest of this year left, then hope for a Mattheson-esque turnaround.

Solid bottom pairing imo……….
They both are. Treliving isn't bad as long as the signings are under $1m. ;)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I'm more inclined to take a flyer on Jake Bean, who only has the rest of this year left, then hope for a Mattheson-esque turnaround.

That’s a asset when your the GM of the Leafs……..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

We don't really need Bean though... we already have Timmins. 176 lb D man, isn't what we need at all. I mean, I can appreciate that maybe Peeke isn't your guy, but we need someone like a Peeke, and not a Bean.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We don't really need Bean though... we already have Timmins. 176 lb D man, isn't what we need at all. I mean, I can appreciate that maybe Peeke isn't your guy, but we need someone like a Peeke, and not a Bean.
I don't know; if Rielly gets injured, there's a severe lack of offense from this D as well as someone to use on PP. Bean hasn't been an offensive monster, and he's not going to get ahead of Werenski or now Provorov for the PP, but he has one 25pt season and was very good in the A.

It would cost very little to get him and if he doesn't work, don't qualify him.

I would still like an RHD as well, I'm not too concerned about their weight though.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad