Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not disagreeing. But last game Klingberg, Gio, Lily, and Lagesson were all out and it was their best D game all season coming against a team that was 9-2 in their last 11.

The Leafs D need to get healthy before any moves are made.

It happened last year too when Rielly, Brodie and a bunch of other regular D were injured around the same time and Justin Holl was basically our #1. Team stepped up big time during that time and they went on a heater if my memory serves correctly.

The big X factor will be Timmins and how he does in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
A partner for Reilly next year is the biggest wildcard. Not sure what happens with Brodie next year.
It would be nice to see if Lilly can play with Reilly before the year is out, otherwise you have to pencil in Lilly as the 2nd pair RHD and work from there.

Based on free agency and available top 4 D through trade the easiest spot to fill with a top end D would be the 2nd pair LHD.
So unless some good RHD options pop up....

Reilly - ?/Lilly
FA/Trade - ?/Lilly

Between now and the end of year, they should be assessing where the assortment misfit D stand.

Is Timmins are a good 3rd pairing RHD who can play point on PP2? He will have a run of games now unless he gets injured.
Does Giordano have anything left in the tank? Is he an 800k 7th D next year?
Is Lagesson a good 3rd pairing LHD?, or is he just a 7th D?

They need to sort out these questions.

Reactions: arso40

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It happened last year too when Rielly, Brodie and a bunch of other regular D were injured around the same time and Justin Holl was basically our #1. Team stepped up big time during that time and they went on a heater if my memory serves correctly.

The big X factor will be Timmins and how he does in the next few weeks.
Yeah, I remember that too.

Right now when healthy the D will look like this.

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio/Benoit/Timmins/Lagesson

What's the move here?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We're going to have like 11 defencemen then.
Trade McCabe, Brodie, Timmins, and Gio. they’re all bottom pairing D in my opinion, Benoit and Lagesson are cheaper younger options for the bottom pair. Keep Lilly. Replace the aforementioned with younger bigger guys who won’t break the bank, guys like Peeke……..

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren

What's the move here?

The move would likely be moving down Brodie and/or Liljegren to improve the top 4. For my money, I'd expect the pairings to be something like:

Rielly - Brodie (why break up a good pairing?)
McCabe - Tanev? Walker? Insert a RHD upgrade?
Gio - Liljegren
Benoit - Timmins/Lagesson

This gives the Leafs great depth going into the playoffs when injuries can pile up, and you can flip some pairing partners around depending on situations. Maybe Gio will sit out in favour of Benoit? Maybe Timmins is given a shot somewhere else like Sandin was and Lagesson replaces him. Hell maybe the new RHD addition is slotted next to Gio or Benoit to make a brand new pairing?

A lot of question marks but at the end of the day, they have a need for a good RHD addition regardless if they are healthy or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rare Jewel

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren

What's the move here?

Among the 4 listed at the bottom?

It is the hockey version of hunger games.
A pecking order will be figured out between now and the end of the season.
And that will determine who sticks around next season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The move would likely be moving down Brodie and/or Liljegren to improve the top 4. For my money, I'd expect the pairings to be something like:

Rielly - Brodie (why break up a good pairing?)
McCabe - Tanev? Walker? Insert a RHD upgrade?
Gio - Liljegren
Benoit - Timmins/Lagesson

This gives the Leafs great depth going into the playoffs when injuries can pile up, and you can flip some pairing partners around depending on situations. Maybe Gio will sit out in favour of Benoit? Maybe Timmins is given a shot somewhere else like Sandin was and Lagesson replaces him. A lot of question marks but at the end of the day, they have a need for a good RHD addition regardless if they are healthy or not.
Just remember that replacing Liljegren with Walker is high cost for low impact. That's exactly the type of move they need to stay away from. Is Walker better than Liljegren? Sure...probably....but is the acquisition cost for a non major upgrade truly worth the asset Cost?

I don't see it being worth it. Plus Philly is in the mix right now.

If they are going to make a meaningful upgrade, then do it. No more deck chairs, which IMO Walker is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just remember that replacing Liljegren with Walker is high cost for low impact. That's exactly the type of move they need to stay away from. Is Walker better than Liljegren? Sure...probably....but is the acquisition cost for a non major upgrade truly worth the asset Cost?

If they are going to make a meaningful upgrade, then do it. No more deck chairs, which IMO Walker is.

The only way one considers moving Lily is if it's for an undeniable #2 with term

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Mine would look

Rielly - New guy/Liljegren/Brodie?
Brodie/new guy #2 - Liljegren/Brodie/new guy
McCabe - Timmins/Lagesson

extra: Gio, Benoit

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

If they are going to make a meaningful upgrade, then do it. No more deck chairs, which Walker is.

Hard to say. He was just 1 example out of a few that fit the bill. I disagree that he's a deck chair or a minor upgrade but everything is cost dependent.

Reactions: arso40 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The only way one considers moving Lily is if it's for an undeniable #2 with term
Yeah, I wasn't clear on this. I wasn't suggesting trading Lily for Walker, just that I don't see acquiring Walker as a clear upgrade over Lily.

Basically asking if the asset cost to acquire Walker is worth it, or just another shuffling of deck chairs.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think there is a potential deal out there that could include McCabe to get an undeniable top 4 D with term.
McCabe could be appealing to teams who cannot extend their own D because they are cap crunched. He is cheap option for teams next year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think there is a potential deal out there that could include McCabe to get an undeniable top 4 D with term.
McCabe could be appealing to teams who cannot extend their own D because they are cap crunched. He is cheap option for teams next year.
Which is exactly why that would be a horrifically short sighted move.

How do you replace him for less? A contender like the Leafs needs this type of D, and the contract he has. Next season is the cap strapped year for the Leafs.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Which is exactly why that would be a horifically short sighted move.

How do you replace him for less? A contender like the Leafs needs this type of D, and the contract he has. Next season is the cap strapped year for the Leafs.
What if a team like Arizona offers a 2nd rounder (they have like 10) + a prospect?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

I am not replacing him for less, I am replacing him with a clear upgrade. Not a lateral move.
If you can get Hanifan with an extension or one of the Carolina D with an extension... do you not include McCabe if they ask? McMabe is only cheap for one more year and its hard to get your hands on clear upgrades.

Such deals also make McCabe a 3rd pairing D on the Leafs.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Luckily the Leafs don't have to replace him for less. They have Klingberg's money to play with. They can spend up to 6M to upgrade 2LD (McCabe+Klingberg money).

Reactions: LeafParade

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I’d keep McCabe. You’re not getting a defenceman nearly as good as him today for only 2 million. He’s also signed next year as well. Would be a terrible move to trade him.
If the parts you could get facilitate another move, then they should consider it.

Also, he seems a bit stretched as a top 4 guy, IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McCabe is only likely to go to an American team, you would need a clear cut upgrade on him on the 2nd pairing and then Benoit could hold down the 3rd pairing, I just don't think it's likely.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah, I wasn't clear on this. I wasn't suggesting trading Lily for Walker, just that I don't see acquiring Walker as a clear upgrade over Lily.

Basically asking if the asset cost to acquire Walker is worth it, or just another shuffling of deck chairs.
I can't speak for next year but I am pretty certain Tanev will be a Leaf shortly. They were already in on him and with Klinger's money now free I don't see how they don't pull the trigger. Calgary is 2 games under .500 with Colorado, Vegas and Minny up next. I suspect the sale of their FAs will begin if they don't come away with a least 4 points so the timing to buy will be right.

Not sure how they find the money for a more expensive guy with term without real salary exported out and they seem to like their vets a lot. I don't think they go for a question mark but if its not Tanev it may be for a younger guy with lower salary and more term. Whatever they were offering for Zad and Tanev with retention might be the basis of the next acquisition.

I don't know how Lilly is perceived by the club or the trade market but he plays less the 18:00 a night as a 24 year old so that doesn't suggest the team has him pegged for stardom. Not slagging him because as most know I think they have a shitty coach but right now the biggest reason he doesn't get traded is probably that he is hurt.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You could move Brodie to the 2nd pair LD if you get another RD.

You could, although I think every metric available shows Brodie is better at RD than he is at LD. He's unlikely to be with us after this season though anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad