Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Ideally we resign him. (Brodie) Id consider a 2 year deal at 4mil (if he’d accept it)

Liljegren hasn’t proven he’s capable of being a top 4 dman, Brodie is and will continue to be one for years to come.

Keep in mind that id rather get rid of other players before Lily.

After watching the Nick Cousins and Grudbranson stuff, I would love to have Gudbranson. I feel he is the type of Dman we need.
I would agree but man is he slow footed…and makes quite a bit of money if I’m not mistaken.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Ideally we resign him. (Brodie) Id consider a 2 year deal at 4mil (if he’d accept it)

Liljegren hasn’t proven he’s capable of being a top 4 dman, Brodie is and will continue to be one for years to come.

So let's waste 4 million on a declining player in Brodie and trade our only true RHD, who's only 24 and at times has been our best defenseman. Please, make it make sense. If anything, we should be trying to trade Brodie asap for assets to acquire that true top pairing rhd (Tanev, Larsson, etc)

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I wonder if Calgary will regret not trading Tanev? Hopefully he’s ok and not too badly injured.

Liljegren hasn’t really showed that he’s ready for top 4 minutes. I think he was on the cusp, but then had that freak accident.

I do like the idea of having a Lagesson and Lily pairing…
Timmins has to be the one going IMO
Gio can be our 7th.
You guys are killing me gio is still better than any of the in-house replacements and lily looked good in the top 4 I don’t care how you shake it we need tanev if we could get peeke too then ship Brodie out if not keep Brodie I guess but lagesson should not be penciled in the lineup game one of the playoffs

Larsson seems like the smarter addition than Tanev if for nothing else, durability and the extra year of term.
He’s actually a good add ask edm they didn’t want him to leave I would look into him if the assets are similar and then sign tanev in offseason

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
So let's waste 4 million on a declining player in Brodie and trade our only true RHD, who's only 24 and at times has been our best defenseman. Please, make it make sense. If anything, we should be trying to trade Brodie asap for assets to acquire that true top pairing rhd (Tanev, Larsson, etc)
I’m sorry.. you want to trade our most steady defence men fir the last few years for an injury prone player in Tanev?

Now, I love Tanev…but I would want to add him to our defence core without giving up our best defensive player. The next best defensive player in our team would be Lagesson.
Reilly isn’t all that great at defending
Not sure if Benoit can handle the tough minutes.
Lily is up and down at best.
Gio is pretty much over the hill.
McCabe is enigmatic and mistake prone.
Timmins can’t skate and has consistent brain farts(so far this year).

I will concede that Brodie this year hasn’t been Brodie of years past but he’s still our best defender.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I’m sorry.. you want to trade our most steady defence men fir the last few years for an injury prone player in Tanev?

Now, I love Tanev…but I would want to add him to our defence core without giving up our best defensive player. The next best defensive player in our team would be Lagesson.
Reilly isn’t all that great at defending
Not sure if Benoit can handle the tough minutes.
Lily is up and down at best.
Gio is pretty much over the hill.
McCabe is enigmatic and mistake prone.
Timmins can’t skate and has consistent brain farts(so far this year).

I will concede that Brodie this year hasn’t been Brodie of years past but he’s still our best defender.
I am convinced that ppl only watch the box score and highlight pacc cause we wouldn’t even be having this discussion Brodie is not our best anything on the bac end maybe last year rielly is our best defender on both sides of the ice period give it up it’s not true anymore you don’t shop your best defender when your all in

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I am convinced that ppl only watch the box score and highlight pacc cause we wouldn’t even be having this discussion Brodie is not our best anything on the bac end maybe last year rielly is our best defender on both sides of the ice period give it up it’s not true anymore you don’t shop your best defender when your all in
You obviously didn’t watch any of last season because Reilly didn’t show up. He was hot garbage for most the year. He didn’t turn it around until Schenn showed up.
Now I will admit that Reilly was a force for us in the playoffs.
But in now way was he our best defender man last year.

I watch every game.
Some people just don’t understand the game of hockey and it’s nuisances.
I take it you just watch the highlights the next day?

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rielly has been playoff Rielly since the puck dropped at the beginning of the year, he isn't the defensive liability of previous years, I have to applaud him for that.

Brodie is playing like a "top 4" defenseman...not perfect but even the best guys in the league get beat. I just hate seeing him in the offensive zone.

The bottom 4 struggled mightily yesterday under the heavy forecheck.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Larsson seems like the smarter addition than Tanev if for nothing else, durability and the extra year of term.

The difference is that Larsson isn't on the market to be traded (yet), whereas Tanev is.

It takes 2 to tango as they say.

Reactions: Rocker13

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
But, likely the most expensive of the D mentioned. If Calgary were asking a 1st+ on Tanev, Seattle would want quite a haul for Larsson.

The difference is that Larsson isn't on the market to be traded (yet), whereas Tanev is.

It takes 2 to tango as they say.

Valid points but last season seems like a mirage for Seattle, I suppose they could simply hold Larsson due to having another year and flip him next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Valid points but last season seems like a mirage for Seattle, I suppose they could simply hold Larsson due to having another year and flip him next season.

Sounds like their plan is definitely that last I checked. Maybe that changes and maybe all it takes is a great trade for them to do it but generally speaking, seems like they will hold tight with a few of the players that can help going into next season. They will likely pawn off a few pending UFAs if they are out of the playoffs by the deadline.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I mean, they could move him because a team may pay up, like Dallas or Edmonton. But there are likely not enough high picks here to entice them, then you get into the prospects who no one seems to want to move because, again, there are no picks.

It's the bargain bin for us, probably.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
You obviously didn’t watch any of last season because Reilly didn’t show up. He was hot garbage for most the year. He didn’t turn it around until Schenn showed up.
Now I will admit that Reilly was a force for us in the playoffs.
But in now way was he our best defender man last year.

I watch every game.
Some people just don’t understand the game of hockey and it’s nuisances.
I take it you just watch the highlights the next day?
Joker who said anything about rielly being a better defender last year…..like I said THIS year rielly is a better dman at both ends of the ice that’s a fact so what is it your talking about exactly

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I would agree but man is he slow footed…and makes quite a bit of money if I’m not mistaken.
If your resigning Brodie can you make sure there’s a clause in his contract that he can’t cower everytime a opposing forward is about to hit him? If not hard pass………

Reactions: arso40

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't want Tanev. Too old to keep and we can't afford to keep paying prices we do for guys to leave after 1.5 months. Anyone we add should be in the plans for at least 2-3 seasons like McCabe last year.

We need to find a #3 dman out there or top pairing guy and just hope the depth and goaltending holds up due to our cap limitations.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Another thing I keep kind of coming back on is we should be trading assets for players that can be with us longer term, not just fixing roster inefficiencies for a year.

Always felt like we were plugging holes with Dubas acquisitions and then we'd be spending the assets again at the TDL. I realize most contenders add every year but they might need to fix 1 issue whereas we seem to need to 2-3 things every year.

Muzzin and McCabe worked out for a bit longer but ROR, Foligno, Schenn, Lybushkin etc all walked although I guess some of the blame is on Treliving too for some of these names.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I don't want Tanev. Too old to keep and we can't afford to keep paying prices we do for guys to leave after 1.5 months. Anyone we add should be in the plans for at least 2-3 seasons like McCabe last year.

We need to find a #3 dman out there or top pairing guy and just hope the depth and goaltending holds up due to our cap limitations.
We need a top pairing d

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Another thing I keep kind of coming back on is we should be trading assets for players that can be with us longer term, not just fixing roster inefficiencies for a year.

Always felt like we were plugging holes with Dubas acquisitions and then we'd be spending the assets again at the TDL. I realize most contenders add every year but they might need to fix 1 issue whereas we seem to need to 2-3 things every year.
I agree with the first part. The top 4 d you would bring in now would hopefully be your Brodie replacement as well.

The second part is just a by-product of the cap allocation/structure.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What would Larson and Brandon tanev cost?
Well using the McCabe/Laf trade as a guide.

Larsson >>>McCabe
Tanev>Laf

So, a 1st ('25), a 2nd (which we don't have, so it would be a 3rd), Minten, Steeves.

For that, you get an extra year of Larsson and two more of Tanev.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
What would Larson and Brandon tanev cost?
i just want brandon tanev for the wonderful pictures.

1702428890545.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad