Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is there much data on him at left D? He's been on the right so much.

I question the validity of the data for a reason that sticks out.

I think it was the Athletic or someone on twitter that showed his advanced stats at RD last year and when he playing LD with Justin Holl as his partner. The RD stats were better.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, I remember that too.

Right now when healthy the D will look like this.

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio/Benoit/Timmins/Lagesson

What's the move here?

We apparently wanted 2 D so I guess the plan was.

Rielly. Tanev
Brodie McCabe
Z. Lilly
Gio?

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I question the validity of the data for a reason that sticks out.

I think it was the Athletic or someone on twitter that showed his advanced stats at RD last year and when he playing LD with Justin Holl as his partner. The RD stats were better.
Brodie was Gio's righty for his best years in Calgary. Thats his natural spot, irrespective of him shooting left. He can play on the left and has been paired with Lilly, Timmins, Bogo, and Holl and he was effective with Holl so its there.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What if a team like Arizona offers a 2nd rounder (they have like 10) + a prospect?
Hope the 2nd round pick plays well in the top 4 immediately?

That's not even close to what they paid to get him in the first place. About as big of a lose-lose as you could get.

Reactions: The Podium

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I can't speak for next year but I am pretty certain Tanev will be a Leaf shortly. They were already in on him and with Klinger's money now free I don't see how they don't pull the trigger. Calgary is 2 games under .500 with Colorado, Vegas and Minny up next. I suspect the sale of their FAs will begin if they don't come away with a least 4 points so the timing to buy will be right.

Not sure how they find the money for a more expensive guy with term without real salary exported out and they seem to like their vets a lot. I don't think they go for a question mark but if its not Tanev it may be for a younger guy with lower salary and more term. Whatever they were offering for Zad and Tanev with retention might be the basis of the next acquisition.

I don't know how Lilly is perceived by the club or the trade market but he plays less the 18:00 a night as a 24 year old so that doesn't suggest the team has him pegged for stardom. Not slagging him because as most know I think they have a shitty coach but right now the biggest reason he doesn't get traded is probably that he is hurt.
Toi doesn’t tell the full story especially when he started off playing 3rd pair and special teams before he got injured he was a top 4 d playing the 3rd most minutes so no he wasnt playing 18 a night

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
What about Borgen and Larsson from Seattle? Both RHD big, physical, defensively sound. 50 percent retention on Larsson, Borgen full price

Timmins
Abruzzese
1st round

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
What about Borgen and Larsson from Seattle? Both RHD big, physical, defensively sound. 50 percent retention on Larsson, Borgen full price

Timmins
Abruzzese
1st round
Not sure what borgen is since he plays with the big rig timmins would probably look defensively sound too

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Timmins
Abruzzese
1st round
Do you think there is any team out there, with tradeable assets, that is looking for Timmins or Abruzzese in return?

Reactions: Americanadian

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Timmins
Abruzzese
1st round

It's gonna cost you a lot more quality assets to even come close to get Larsson at 50% since he's pretty solid and he isn't even a pending UFA. Borgen is average at best, kinda meh, but asking him on top seems optimistic.

This team doesn't need multiple high cost additions to the blue line. It just needs one pretty good one, and getting Liljegren back from injury.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Not a fan of Timmins. Not yet anyways. He seems too slow out there (skating and decision making). I don’t know how many times he coughed up the puck last night with a couple of them leading to the opposition having a scoring chance.

He definitely shouldn’t be any higher than our 7th when the Leafs are healthy.
Benoit and Lagesson (especially Lagesson) IMO have proven to be excellent bottom pair defence men. I even think Lagesson could be top 4. He’s really impressed me this year.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With the way that Lagersson and Benoit have been playing, I'd look at moving Timmons and Brodie and replacing them with Tanev (if not seriously hurt)

Rielly-Tanev
Lagersson-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I can't speak for next year but I am pretty certain Tanev will be a Leaf shortly. They were already in on him and with Klinger's money now free I don't see how they don't pull the trigger. Calgary is 2 games under .500 with Colorado, Vegas and Minny up next. I suspect the sale of their FAs will begin if they don't come away with a least 4 points so the timing to buy will be right.

Not sure how they find the money for a more expensive guy with term without real salary exported out and they seem to like their vets a lot. I don't think they go for a question mark but if its not Tanev it may be for a younger guy with lower salary and more term. Whatever they were offering for Zad and Tanev with retention might be the basis of the next acquisition.

I don't know how Lilly is perceived by the club or the trade market but he plays less the 18:00 a night as a 24 year old so that doesn't suggest the team has him pegged for stardom. Not slagging him because as most know I think they have a shitty coach but right now the biggest reason he doesn't get traded is probably that he is hurt.
Well, I don't think there is a limit to the LTIR, so come on over Tanev.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
With the way that Lagersson and Benoit have been playing, I'd look at moving Timmons and Brodie and replacing them with Tanev (if not seriously hurt)

Rielly-Tanev
Lagersson-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano
I do believe they deserve some more ice time and respect. But Brodie is solid. I would deal Liljegren before him if it meant we were getting an upgrade.

• Wow
Reactions: LeafSteel

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I wonder if Calgary will regret not trading Tanev? Hopefully he’s ok and not too badly injured.

Liljegren hasn’t really showed that he’s ready for top 4 minutes. I think he was on the cusp, but then had that freak accident.

I do like the idea of having a Lagesson and Lily pairing…
Timmins has to be the one going IMO
Gio can be our 7th.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I do believe they deserve some more ice time and respect. But Brodie is solid. I would deal Liljegren before him if it meant we were getting an upgrade.
So I’m clear: you would deal Liljegren to keep 33 year old, already declining UFA Brodie instead?

Help me understand. Do you plan to resign Brodie? For how much? Less than what we are paying Liljegren? Does Brodie have higher upside and potential than Liljegren to you?

Vehemently disagree on this one. Liljegren is part of the future. Brodie will be gone by next season, if not sooner. He is not a long term piece for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad